Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less

Busted Spring

So a metallic rattle started on my morning commute yesterday; it was somewhere up near the front passenger suspension. When I got home I did a quick search with a flashlight as it was dark, but pretty much decided I wouldn't find much until I could jack it up this weekend and take a look. Well, on my commute this morning, just before I pull into this parking lot I heard a metallic clank as something fell from the car. Turns out it was a chunk of the spring (see the picture). Found it after I spent five minutes dodging traffic to be sure I knew what fell off. This same thing happened five or-so years ago when I first got the car, and now it's happened again. Is this normal? I can't see anything else wrong, but won't be sure until I get it off the ground and replace the springs.
    Name:  0208120955.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  12.4 KB
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig

Saab(s)
    2011 9-3 Aero XWD Performance by Hirsch
    How many miles on the car? I broke my passenger front spring on my 900 at about 160k if I remember right. Not uncommon for where we live with all of the salt on the roads.
    2011 Saab 9-3 Aero XWD Performance by Hirsch "Wolffe"

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    Just shy of 109k. It had about 70k when I got it.

I just find it weird that it is in what appears to be the same spot as before. I can't remember for sure, but I do know that it was only the very end of the spring. I can't remember if it was top or bottom... now to look for some springs. Also, the spring doesn't look very rusty. At least not as rusty as I've seen on many other cars.
    Free SaabWorld Stickers

Saab(s)
    1996 NG900 2.0 Turbo automatic
    The NG900 doesn't have the best weight distribution so it's very nose heavy. This, coupled with poor quality springs or bad roads, salt etc can break them. Had mine changed two years ago when the front drivers side succumbed to the elements.

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    Anything wrong with replacing just one spring, or should they be replaced in pairs? The other, looks visually fine. Anything else that needs to be replaced when replacing the springs as well (spring support or something like that?)?

Opinions?
    Free SaabWorld Stickers

Saab(s)
    1996 NG900 2.0 Turbo automatic
    You should never ever replace just one spring or shock absorber. They should always be replaced in pairs.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    I imagine it is the same as with headlight bulbs. If one goes, the other one isn't far behind and the old one isn't going to be as good as the new one.

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    That's what I figured, but wanted to make sure before I got it. Eeuroparts ended up being the cheapest after free shipping and a 5% off coupon code.
    Free SaabWorld Stickers

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    10 years 120K Saab Special Coverage on Coil Springs - Replaced in Pairs. Includes updated ZINC Plate for base of spring. If you car is still within that warranty frame - take it to a dual Saab/GM dealer and get them replaced for free. I just did a set Monday on an 06' with 97K and the claim went through no problem.

EDIT - Just saw this was an ng900 not a sport sedan.... sorry! Not common on older Saab's - but very common on sport sedans!
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Shane
    Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t, 2006 9-3 Aero
    On my '97 and my wife's '01, the front springs broke. My mechanic dad, the former Saab tech, says it's been known to happen frequently on Saabs. His last year of certification was '92. So, it's been going on for quite awhile. And from what I've seen, the sellers will automatically sell you 2 springs, unless you decide to change the number you're buying. Also, the springs will, eventually, "level out" or the other side will break, soon. On my '97, they "leveled out" pretty fast. My wife's took quite awhile.

There's no need to to replace anything else, unless you have a bad shock, wheel bearing, steering bearing(?) or the bearing above the coil spring and strut, ball joint, tie rod end, brake caliper, rotor or cv joint. From what my dad says, you can drive as long as you want with the broken spring. It will not hurt anything, except the ride height. From my experience, it will break wherever there is a weak spot. Corrosion plays a part in its demise, but it's a manufacturing defect. Mine broke at a point where I couldn't get the piece out. So, I rattled everywhere I went. All wildlife knew I was coming. I had no issues with deer jumping in front of me.
    When a Saab dies, the world becomes a little less quirky.