Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2006 9-5 Sportcombi

DIC Options?

So it looks like my direct ignition cassette needs to be replaced on my 06 sportcombi... the car is still running okay but it's throwing all kinds of CEL codes and I generally trust my mechanic when he tells me what's going wrong. I'm wondering if people would recommend staying away from the aftermarket stuff or shelling out three times as much money for an OEM part.The closest dealer to me can order one in for a little more than $500. I can get an aftermarket one for as cheap as $160 shipped off ebay (if you search part number 55559955, it'll come up with a bunch of aftermarket options). Rockauto also has a few different OEM ones for $200 or $250. I don't think I want a used one - doesn't really seem like the kind of part I want to play around with.Has anyone had any experience with aftermarket ones, either good or bad? The OEM ones are a bit scarce right now as no one can get parts, but if I really need to get one I can do it (I'd just rather save the money!). Any feedback is appreciated!

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    I normally go used from a junk yard. Typically they are about $90-100. The one I have in it now has been good for the past three years.

Personally, I'd go with one from Rockauto or similar before shelling out $500 at the dealer.
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2006 9-5 Sportcombi
    Good to know. The shop here said they wouldn't recommend used, but I'll check around my local yards just to see.

I also just saw I put this thread in the wrong place - any way to move it or delete and restart it? Sorry!

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    We'll get a super-mod to move it to the appropriate place. No problem.

Some yards will give you a relatively short warranty, so I'd go with one of those. If it's not going to go in the first couple days, I would assume it's a good DIC. Even if it's life is half as long as a new one, at 1/5 the cost (or 1/2 if you stay away from the dealer), you can replace it twice as much, or buy two and then have the extra. They tend to go pretty randomly. That's my guess.
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    eEuroparts sells the OEM for $377 with free shipping: eEuroparts - Direct Ignition Cassette (Black) - # 55559955

You can save another 10% on any DIC when you use the coupon code DISAAB10 (valid till March 31) at checkout so total will be $340.

I don't have any personal experience with aftermarket DICs but I think I read they don't last as long. I would spend the extra money for the OEM, especially with that discount.

It seems this thread is in the right place as it involves more than one model.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2006 9-5 Sportcombi
    Sounds good, the tread can stay here!

I'll check out what shipping is like to Canada, GMpartsdepartment also has them for $318 but again not sure if they ship to Canada (and paying duty and other things can just be a pain).

I read somewhere that some of the non OEM branded parts are actually OEM parts... I think someone said that the Standard Motor Products DIC for the V6 sold by RockAuto was actually OEM, so I may call them and figure out if the 4 cylinder one is OEM too.