Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    08/280/xwd & 09/210/xwd

Volvo wastes no time!

Both my son and daughter have got hustles in the mail from Volvo in the last week. Different dealers too! They must be pouring over DMV registrations for Saab owners.

They are offering discounts on cars ... and ...

Offering to take care of any Saab service issues that arise in case they don't switch.

One of the dealers I am not familiar with but the other I bought a new Volvo from in 98. Same service department that billed me like $78 for "caliper lube" when they put front brakes on.
    Semper ubi sububi in caput tuum

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    '91 900T SE convertible, '93 900T CD, '02 9-5 Aero Wagon, '08 9-7X Aero
    Caliper lube, to go with a fetzer valve, catastrophic perverter, and headlight fluid filter.

Jay
    Saab(s)
    07 93 SC Aero 6spd
    And a muffler bearing!
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Wulfers View Post
    Note to new members: choose your user name carefully because it will stick with you for the rest of your forum life.

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    08/280/xwd & 09/210/xwd
    When you got calipers you did get a free little tiny postage stamp pack of lube. The stuff was like $5 a tub for the shop I used to work in and you did put a tiny bit on.

The guy got pissed when I questioned him ... "It's very expensive special grease" ....... I asked him if it had "unobtanium disulphide" in it which got him very pisssed.

Then I looked at the bill and discovered that they put "oil additive" in the Mobil 1 and at that time the engine required it but you had to bring your own. So I asked what kind of "additive" and after three trips back to the shop he admitted they never put additive in. I told them I was concerned about warranty issues and the compatibility of the two. So for like the whole warranty they were charging me for an additive they never used.

Be wary of any dealings within a 40 mile radius of New Jersey's University of prestige. If you see a Tiger run.

Saab(s)
    2010 9-3 XWD
    Funny, I got a couple of emails from two different Volvo dealers in NJ as well and I live in Staten Island, NY! I actually spoke to one salesman at one of the dealers and while the pitch is good, it wasn't good enough to make me want to run into NJ and check them out. Listen, I know that the value of my car is going to take a hit, but these vultures aren't giving me ANYTHING for my car. Worse yet, I don't see any fantastic deals from Volvo that would make me want to trade in my 9-3 XWD. Anything AWD in a volvo is going to cost me BIG money, my 9-3 has been pretty good to me and the Mrs now that I have to do my own service on MY dime, I will REALLY keep a good close eye on the oil and such. Listen up Volvo, you want SAAB business, give us something we would be willing to trade up for!
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." ----John Lennon

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    08/280/xwd & 09/210/xwd
    The two notices we got were from Summit Volvo and the other from one that has a few under one hat ... Princeton Volvo, Long Motor Corp. and Bridgewater Volvo.

I had good service from my 1998 XC that I bought new from the Bridgewater/Princeton/Long Group ... despite them not because of them. I still have that car, the 98 has some issues like parking brakes that freeze up and a rear drive shaft replaced along with the usual oxygen sensors but it runs too well to take a bath on. Sooner or later my kid who works at a NH ski area may need an AWD. At 110,000 it's just breaking in. If that little rocket .. is it the C-30 comes out with an AWD I should take a look at least. Don't knock the Volvos "R" series, they are quicker than our Saabs. Granted, when I drive my 98 XC at 190 horsepower it is slower and more ponderous ... a heavy feeling. When I jump into the 320 Aero XWD if feels so much more nimble and steady and flat in turns. I feels lighter than the actual weight. I could put an IPD into the Volvo, some sway bars and shocks but ... not at this point.

Jeff
    Saab(s)
    Saab 9.3 conv 2002 , Saab 900T16 1989, Saab 900T8 1981 , Saab 99CC 1977, Saab 95V4 1969 , Saab 96
    Quote Originally Posted by tunnanxwd View Post
    The two notices we got were from Summit Volvo and the other from one that has a few under one hat ... Princeton Volvo, Long Motor Corp. and Bridgewater Volvo.

I had good service from my 1998 XC that I bought new from the Bridgewater/Princeton/Long Group ... despite them not because of them. I still have that car, the 98 has some issues like parking brakes that freeze up and a rear drive shaft replaced along with the usual oxygen sensors but it runs too well to take a bath on. Sooner or later my kid who works at a NH ski area may need an AWD. At 110,000 it's just breaking in. If that little rocket .. is it the C-30 comes out with an AWD I should take a look at least. Don't knock the Volvos "R" series, they are quicker than our Saabs. Granted, when I drive my 98 XC at 190 horsepower it is slower and more ponderous ... a heavy feeling. When I jump into the 320 Aero XWD if feels so much more nimble and steady and flat in turns. I feels lighter than the actual weight. I could put an IPD into the Volvo, some sway bars and shocks but ... not at this point.
    VOLVO would ‘love’ ex-Saab customers to switch brands and buy their cars, but they will ‘not push’ the opportunity.

Speaking exclusively to Car Dealer, Volvo’s network and business development director Kevin Meeks said that they have made some strides in capturing Saab customers.
    But the troubled Swedish brand is just one of many premium marques Volvo is aiming to steal sales from.
    ‘We have tried to put measures in place to capitalise on Saab’s demise, but we have actually been surprised by how fiercely loyal to their brand Saab customers are,’ Meeks told us.
    ‘Of course we would welcome any and every Saab customer with open arms, but it’s true that every customer with any car is a prospect for us. There’s no better position by being a Saab customer than there would be by being a Mercedes or BMW customer,’ added Meeks.
    Another reason for not actively targeting Saab customer is because Volvo is not ‘like that’.
    Meeks said: ‘We’re not going to go too hard in trying to win over the Saab customers, but hopefully they will see that a lot of the strengths of Saab – their solidity, engineering is similar to our strengths and heritage.
    ‘We’d love them to come and join the Volvo family but we’re not going to push it. We’re not aggressive like that!’

Renato Piereck
    Spreading the Saab virus rpiereck's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    '00 9-5 Aero SC, 87 900i 8v
    So, with a baby on the way and an 18-year old two-door coupe as the only car in our family, my wife and I will be buying a new car sometime early next year. I know what kind of car I want, I just done't know which one. I want a wagon. Hence Volvo's problem. Volvo just stopped selling the V50 in the USA, right as SAAB went under. Are they stupid? Stop selling the least expensive front wheel drive wagon they had just as one of their main wagon competitors goes under? Poor market strategy in my opinion. My current choices for new car are narrowed down to the MINI Clubman or the VW Jetta SportWagen. Other offerings from BMW, Volvo and Audi are too expensive. I am leaning more towards MINI, as I love the compact size and the driving dynamics of their car. Now if only Volvo would offer the V50 again...

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    These are the Volvo sales number from Automotive News for 2011:

30 series: 3,471
    40 series: 2,984
    50 series: 555
    60 series: 21,282
    70 series: 10,672
    80 series: 4,735

Total: 43,699

Can you blame Volvo for discontinuing the V50 in the US? Compact crossovers is where the future is for small utility vehicles. They also discontinued the V70 for the US a while ago.

Renato Piereck
    Spreading the Saab virus rpiereck's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    '00 9-5 Aero SC, 87 900i 8v
    You can only blame the US market, station wagons are few and far between and the old heavy hitters in that market (Benz, Volvo) have gone up market with their offerings. The only MB wagon in the US is the S class, and it's expensive!!!