Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Andy Graham
    modérateur
    Saab(s)
    '88 vert, '88 Aero

'Smart' phones

OK I'm a neanderthal when it comes to phones, so far have been happy with my basic 5yo Nokia but I've applied for a job that will require me to check emails on the run at least, so will have to consider upgrading.
    My wife just bought herself an iPhone but there's no way I'm spending any more money on Apple products, not with the way iTunes barely functions on a Windows PC (OK I'm exaggerating but it's not a pleasant experience).
    So what are the alternatives? Can anybody recommend a good Android smartphone?

Saab Fan
    I know two people who have the Motorola Droid RAZR and love it. It's a bit big but they've said they don't really notice it after a week or so of use. If I were not an Apple user, I would definitely get the RAZR.

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    Currently I'm using a crappy four year old Samsung. But I'm thinking of switching to a different carrier here in the States, just so I can get the Nokia Lumia 900, when my contract runs out. Rumors are it will be available on my current carrier eventually though (Verizon). The phone is going to be released pretty soon.
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    What do you use your smart phones for? I have a 6-year old Razr phone which I only use for a few calls a month. I sit behind a computer 8 hours a day and more time in the evenings and the weekends. I am trying to figure out if and why I would need or want one.

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    The biggest reason I want one is for a decent camera, I can do all my banking on it, and it would take place of my crappy Tomtom GPS. Also, they are convenient for being in new places and quickly looking up for things to do, or good rated local places to eat.

The online banking is pretty cool. I can just take a photo of my checks, and they are automatically in my bank account.

Then some apps are just a pretty cool, but I could live without them.
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig

Saab(s)
    2002 9 5 Aero
    Mine is an HTC Wildfire I am perfectly happy with.

Small, light (about 100 grams) and a 5mp camera. Not that this last feature appeals me much, but the Android OS, which I love.

Besides, Android Market is growing fast and steadily and shows hundreds, even thousands of apps a lot of them for free. More than I need for a smartphone for the time being.

Tim Schlose
    Saab(s)
    2007 9,3 Aero S/C
    went from a Motorola Dare to a Motorola Droid 2 6 months ago, did not realize how handy it is, and how much I use it for email and such. Easy and large screen for my old eyes

Saab(s)
    1996 NG900 2.0 Turbo automatic
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialTool View Post
    OK I'm a neanderthal when it comes to phones, so far have been happy with my basic 5yo Nokia but I've applied for a job that will require me to check emails on the run at least, so will have to consider upgrading.
    My wife just bought herself an iPhone but there's no way I'm spending any more money on Apple products, not with the way iTunes barely functions on a Windows PC (OK I'm exaggerating but it's not a pleasant experience).
    So what are the alternatives? Can anybody recommend a good Android smartphone?

Samsung Galaxy S2. It's a bit on the pricey side, but it's worth every penny:

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i910..._s_ii-3621.php

Jay
    Saab(s)
    07 93 SC Aero 6spd
    I've been using an HTC EVO 4G since right after Christmas. It's much better than the LG Optimus, which was my first smart phone about a year ago.

I got a deal on mine from Amazon($275) and even got Sprint to cough up $100 credit on my bill. It's big and clunky and I had to order an extended life battery because the factory battery dies within 6 hours, even with moderate usage and the GPS turned off. But it's got unmatched screen quality and clarity.

It even has a kickstand, for easy video viewing!
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Wulfers View Post
    Note to new members: choose your user name carefully because it will stick with you for the rest of your forum life.

Renato Piereck
    Spreading the Saab virus rpiereck's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    '00 9-5 Aero SC, 87 900i 8v
    If you are going to get one to use as a GPS make sure you get one with a decent size screen as it will make the whole phone-GPS experience less painful. I recommend the Samsung Galaxy S or S II, both great phones with good features. Samsung has a good size internal memory which I love. I had HTC phones before (same Android system as the Samsung) but the HTC had a small internal memory that was at times very frustrating, I had to chose which apps to keep and which to delete. None of the problem with the Samsung.