Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    John Dudek
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    '99 9-3 se, '99 9-3 s, '03 9-3 se vert sport package

help with P0133

Hey guys,
    I know this is my first post, but I've been a member of the saab community since 2007. I'm a longtime member on both saablink and saabcentral.

This is pertaining to my '98 900s 2.3 na car, I apologize in advance for the lengthy explanation.

not long after replacing the engine in this car the CEL came on, it gave me one code. P0133 Bank one sensor one, slow response. so naturally my first reaction is to go ahead and replace the front oxygen sensor. I replaced the sensor with a brand new Bosch sensor. cleared the code, and it came back after 50 or so miles of driving.

so I did a little research on the forums and I found that it could be a bad ground. I checked all the grounds, cleaned and reattached them. The code returned again. Now I've added a brand new ground with a battery cable. directly from the battery to the cylinder head. I still have a code P0133.

recently I got the correct version 44 card for my TechII, so I hooked it up and have been viewing the live data. the upstream sensor (sensor1) will fluctuate from .1V to .8V fairly steadily. While the downstream sensor is steady at .8V the whole time.

To me, this doesn't seem like a slow response for bank one sensor one, and there is nothing to indicate that the rear oxygen sensor is failing. However I replaced it anyway. It still holds at .8V.

I did notice when I had the TechII on the car that it said the coolant temp was at 232* F WHAT?!! But the temp gauge shows that the car is fine, it's sitting at normal operating temperature. It takes a long time to warm up, I'm fairly certain that my thermostat is stuck open. But that isn't a big problem right now.

I did some more general research online for the P0133, and I found this site...

P0133 - OBD-II Trouble Code

which states

Common Problems That Trigger the P0133 Code

Defective Oxygen Sensor/Air Fuel Ratio Sensor
    Defective Oxygen Sensor/Air Fuel Ratio Sensor Heater circuit
    Exhaust System Leak
    Intake Air System leak
    Low Fuel Pressure
    Defective Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor
    Defective sensor wiring and/or circuit problem
    PCM software needs to be updated
    Defective PCM
    I will get myself a new coolant temp sensor, as well as a new thermostat and see if that will solve my problem.

Saab(s)
    2006 Saab 9-5, 2004 Saab 9-5 Aero; 2002 9-3 HOT Hatch
    OP,

Did the ECT sensor solve the issue?

John Dudek
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    '99 9-3 se, '99 9-3 s, '03 9-3 se vert sport package
    it did not. The issue was never resolved. I replaced the entire exhaust. including the converter. the clutch slave cylinder popped and I just let the car go. it was rotted too much underneath.