Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -

Cool Sport Exhaust - Amp+ Door Speakers + Carbon Fiber Dash Overlay and more to come

Our 2000 9-3 Vert seems like it will be staying in the fleet for sometime - a future "daily driver" for the wife is in our sights. (Another 9-5 Wagon) So to officially kick things off - I'll introduce the ol' gal.

In October-ish I found a 2000 9-3 Sun Green automatic Convertible on craigslist (cheap) with 78K and I had to go check it out - as the wife's wagon had just been totaled in September. (sadly)
    Well - I bought it for (sub 3g's) and have enjoyed it so far in it's stock form. Now with 82K on it too I think we want to preserve this little gem as long as we can and try and keep it for nice weather.

When we bought it, these were the immediate issues which needed to be addressed:
    • Hood - Cable Broken, Can't Open
    • Engine Wine - Noise
    • Dips to the right front on stops - (bad strut)
    • brakes - gone, likely the original rotors!
    • get warranty recalls performed
    • drop oil pan - inspect and clean
    • clean engine via ATF
    • perform injector/top engine clean service
    • oil change
    • trans service
    • go over engine bay - replace all vac lines with silicone hoses, perform T7 vac line update
    • replace cabin air filter
    • check filters
    • replace fifth bow switch for top
    • replace broken dash fascia panel
    • cooling system flush

Since buying it and driving it - just about everything on that list has been done and more!

Future repairs/upgrades:
    • Saab Sport Exhaust
    • Premium Sound Door Amp & Door Speaker Install
    • Replace dash speakers (again)
    • Replace Dash Fascia - install Carbon Fiber overlay
    • Install 5th Bow Switch
    • Install Viggen Springs - Buy & Install Upgrades Struts & Shocks
    • Locate Trunk Deck Spoiler
    • Replace broken headlamp wiper motor - Passenger Side

Most of these items will occur over the next few weeks as the car is not being driven daily - and I have to drive my wife around for the next 5 months (medical reasons...)

Pictures from buying it - I have yet to take any more. The Turbines were ONLY to drive it home - it came with 9-3SS Linear wheels from a 2004ish 9-3 - currently using them as winter wheels. Wife wants the Snow Flakes for Summer wheels. This may change with another 9-5 purchase.

I will take many more pictures as I upgrade the car! I Promise!
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Jeffrey
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    Installed the sport exhaust and the summer wheels this morning - took pictures of the car before and after. I'll add those later. Sounds nice now - and the snow flake wheels looks good on the car too (for summer wheels).

I installed some 205/55/16 Michinlen Pilot MXV4 take offs from a 96' 9000 Aero with 6/32 tread remaining. Should work well for this year.

Totoal cost of wheels, tires and exhaust - about $10 for 1 clamp
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    Where does the sport exhaust pick up? From the flex pipe or the cat?
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig

Jeffrey
    Saab(s)
    Flexpipe back - it replaces the mid muffler and the rear muffler with 1 sport muffler and all stainless pipe work and a large finsiher tip. I'll post those pictures later this weekend.

I also replaced the 5th BOW switch for the convertible top - so that works now too. I also took pictures of that.

Jeffrey
    Saab(s)
    Before - as it sat Friday Morning March 9 2012

After Sport Exhaust and Summer Wheel Install

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    I like how it doesn't stick out as much as the BSR. I'll have to post pictures of mine. It could be the difference between the 900 and 9-3 rear bumper though.
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig

Jeffrey
    Saab(s)
    I think it sticks our further then I'd of had it - but agreed it is not as far out as others I've seen. It's MUCH quieter then I thought it was going to be also - which is a good thing. lol Sounds great.

Enjoyed the top down all day yesturday with 55-60* Temps and sunny.

Saab(s)
    2011 9-3 Aero XWD Performance by Hirsch
    Agreed, the snow-flake wheels just look right on that car, love the factory Saab Sports, have them on my 900 and the Remus made one on my 9-5. Need to pick up another one for my '02 SE at some point, really like the low rumble, they produce.
    2011 Saab 9-3 Aero XWD Performance by Hirsch "Wolffe"

Jeffrey
    Saab(s)

Preview of this years snow tire package - 15" steelies with winterforces!

Jeffrey
    Saab(s)
    So as seen above - I had some 15" steel rims laying around - I had some 15" snow tires on my old 9000 Griffin wheels - so I decided the 9-3 was going to get the combo put to use this winter as my 16" snows were going to be used on the 9-5 this winter. The result of boredom and a random fun idea - Militarily looking steel wheels on a Sun Green Metallic Convertible;

I think it came out pretty good - the color almost is a match in some lighting. lol Looks funny anyways - I don't mind if you think it's ugly. It is - and it's sorta why I like it.
    Tires are a 195/60R15 88S Winterforce Snow & Mud Tire