Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2005 Arc 9-5

Extend Remote Range : How to? ( 2005 9-5 )

Hi. Anybody had tried to make the range of their RKE longer?
    I had read from other sites that the antenna for the RKE is on the center console under the arm rest.
    I have not opened the center console arm rest yet but any feedback would be appreciated.
    Thank you.

Saab(s)
    2011 9-3 Aero XWD Performance by Hirsch
    I can tell you on most of the cars that is where the antenna is, however I've never messed with trying to extend the range at all. One of my remotes reaches from a couple hundred feet away, one I have to be practically at the door for it to work. Both have fresh batteries.
    2011 Saab 9-3 Aero XWD Performance by Hirsch "Wolffe"

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2005 Arc 9-5
    Thank you for that information. I have not tried the other remote and not even changed the batteries since I got the car from the dealer. I should try changing the batts and use the other remote and see which one has a farther range.

Cheers!

Saab(s)
    01 95 Aero and Wagon, 09 93 Combi and an 08 95 Combi
    Hold it under your chin when you press the button.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-5 wagon
    Reviving an old thread. When I bought my wagon, it only came with 1 key and 1 fob. The fob only works within about 2 to 3 feet of the doors. I googled how to extend the range and saw some mods for adding a wire to the remote receiver in the center armrest area. I also saw the things about placing the fob under your chin or against your temple. Was surprised that it work and it all makes sense. However, I do t want to look goofy trying to lock or unlock the car and I plan to add the wire as an antenna. Some of the write ups suggest routing the wire to the exterior of the car and some say to run it up one of the columns. Being a wagon, I'm thinking that I would have to route it to the engine compartment but that just seems excessive. I'm curious if anyone else has do e the mod... Do I need the wire tobe long enough Togo up a column? Or just long enough and left inside the arm rest area?

Any advice???

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    2011 2.0 9-5 Aero
    This may seem stupid but there is a good reason why the range of the remote is limited and it is all to do with security.If the range is too great you might unlock the car from a couple of streets away and allow a thief to get in and steal your valuables. A shorter range ensures that you are within sight of the car when you unlock it and can exercise appropriate caution if there are people about.

I agree that 5 or 6 feet isn't adequate but a few hundred feet seems excessive.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-5 wagon
    I understand that. Maybe if the car was worth more than it is today. As it is, if the car was fully functional, it has a resale value of maybe $1200 US. It's not much of a high risk of theft. I honestly think that my box of tools in the back probably has a higher overall value but that's gonna get put away as soon as I am lucky enough to find the last of what I need out of the junk yards. The clear coat has flaked off of most of the top and half of the sides of the car and even the top has faded to about 5 different colors ranging from the original green to shades of orange and even to the point of showing the primer in spots. I kind of like it and it gives it a bit of a "rat rod" kind of feel. The car will be a hand me down to my daughter within the year. She wants me to have it painted. I can't see putting a $1800-2000 paint job into a $1200 vehicle.

I love the wagon myself and have become a Saab Enthusiast over time and wouldn't mind it being a complete restore for myself... But I also realize that my teenager won't have the love for it that my blood sweat and tears going into have.

I'm just trying to make it practical for her.

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    2011 2.0 9-5 Aero
    I would open up the remote and look for the loop of copper track that is the aerial, if it is corroded or discoloured (green) that may be the problem.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2002 9-5 Wagon
    If you search youtube there is a video of a guy that soldered in a long wire as an extended antenna. Opening the fob and cleaning the contacts helps but not that much.
    9-5's are known for having a fairly short range and as previously mentioned, it's so that you're not too far away from the car to unlock it (in case someone gets there first).
    On my '01 wagon the range is about 20ft or so with fresh batteries but can vary, sometimes further sometimes nearer. It's reliable which is more important to me than range. I learned to live with it....