Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Roger Cook
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2008 9-5 Aero, 2006 9-3SC 2.0T, 2000 Viggen 'vert, SAAB Quantum, 2000 9-5 retired at 318K miles

D-I-Y: Replacing the Neutral Safety Switch

Disclaimer: I found the following instructions posted on Scribd. The Scribd site used to be a great place to find detailed D-I-Y instructions for repair of all sorts of automotive items. Unfortunately, you can no longer print or download any content from their site unless; you have a Facebook account and agree to fore go all security (to the point of allowing "them" to post comments in your name), or have a Scribd account. Even with a Scribd account you either need to pay for access, or post something original on their site that is useful to others.

I signed up for an account and posted one of my own detailed Saab 9-5 D-I-Y instruction sets so I was able to download these instructions.

Kudos to the originator of these instructions, whoever you are! I recognize your tool set to know you also saved me $$$ with D-I-Y instructions for removal/replacement of the ABS controller.

Total time to do this switch replacement was 1-1/2 hours, but I keep my tools in the basement and was working in the garage on a cool day which involved numerous trips into the house down into the basement back upstairs and outside for stuff I didn't realize I would need, or had forgotten. One hour is realistic for a first timer.

I found my switch by ordering it from CarQuest, their P/N 53-31881. The new switch was made in Japan by the Matsushita Division of Panasonic. The die cast case of the new switch has the identical markings as the factory switch I removed.

DIY-Saab-95-Neutral-Position-Switch[1].pdf
    Last edited by MI-Roger; 17 February 2012 at 19:28.

Saab(s)
    2011 9-3 Aero XWD Performance by Hirsch
    If you don't mind my asking, how much was the CarQuest switch?
    2011 Saab 9-3 Aero XWD Performance by Hirsch "Wolffe"

Roger Cook
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2008 9-5 Aero, 2006 9-3SC 2.0T, 2000 Viggen 'vert, SAAB Quantum, 2000 9-5 retired at 318K miles
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Lauzze View Post
    If you don't mind my asking, how much was the CarQuest switch?
    Local CarQuest Store Manager gave me a discount that I wasn't aware of until I picked up the part. He quoted me ~$280, but I believe list is closer to $320.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2000 9-5 Aero
    Scribd RULES!!!

Saab(s)
    2001 saab 9-5se

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
    Disclaimer: I found the following instructions posted on Scribd. The Scribd site used to be a great place to find detailed D-I-Y instructions for repair of all sorts of automotive items. Unfortunately, you can no longer print or download any content from their site unless; you have a Facebook account and agree to fore go all security (to the point of allowing "them" to post comments in your name), or have a Scribd account. Even with a Scribd account you either need to pay for access, or post something original on their site that is useful to others.

I signed up for an account and posted one of my own detailed Saab 9-5 D-I-Y instruction sets so I was able to download these instructions.

Kudos to the originator of these instructions, whoever you are! I recognize your tool set to know you also saved me $$$ with D-I-Y instructions for removal/replacement of the ABS controller.

Total time to do this switch replacement was 1-1/2 hours, but I keep my tools in the basement and was working in the garage on a cool day which involved numerous trips into the house down into the basement back upstairs and outside for stuff I didn't realize I would need, or had forgotten. One hour is realistic for a first timer.

I found my switch by ordering it from CarQuest, their P/N 53-31881. The new switch was made in Japan by the Matsushita Division of Panasonic. The die cast case of the new switch has the identical markings as the factory switch I removed.

[FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman]DIY-Saab-95-Neutral-Position-Switch[1].pdf[/FONT][/FONT]
    I followed the instructions but got stuck at "lift the dipstick high enough to clear the bolt...". The dipstick tube seemed held down by other stuff and I already used quite some strength and was afraid to break it. Was it free to move after the nut is removed?

Thanks

Roger Cook
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    It was very stiff. I grabbed the bracket welded to the dis-stick tube that slides over the threaded stud and pulled it clear of the stud. I remember the bracket going on a little easier than coming off.