Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Svenska Dagbladet: Youngman wants to invest 12 billion kronor on new Saab models

The Chinese billionaire behind Youngman has already submitted a revised bid for Saab - who he is prepared to raise. He also wants to invest up to 12 billion kronor on new models. SvD Business hits exclusively Young's founder Pang Qingnian in China. But the exact figures for his own company, he refuses to reveal.

Read article translated to English
    Read original article in Swedish

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Whatever they want to do, they better make sure they do it very quick. The Saab dealer network is quickly disappearing, ex-Saab employees in Trollhattan are finding other jobs and the image and brand reputation is almost gone.

Perhaps it is already too late.. Even if they re-start production, do Saab employees, dealers, distributors, the customers and everyone else want to come back? After last year, I think many just lost faith altogether and heard empty promises and false hope too many times.

Saab(s)
    2004 9-3 convertible
    This interview seems to beat a dead horse. Saab has very little to sell besides what Saab is licensed to sell by General Motors -- and GM has already made its position very clear: no way they license to the Chinese. Given that nation's long history of disregarding enforcement of intellectual property rights, who can blame them?

Yes, the PhoeniX is worth developing but it's still years away from production. Would any such vehicle be brought to market by new owners with the Saab moniker? And assuming the new owners would even bother to name it a "Saab" , would any such vehicle developed in this manner be considered worthy of the original company's heritage as a re-badged "Saab" amongst the brand's loyal enthusiasts? GM certainly failed here. And it's not like we Saab enthusiasts constitute some overwhelming legion of potential buyers... Trollhattan would be humming this very day if this wasn't the ugly truth.

I'm in favor of completing the "Hail Mary" pass, winning the game, spiking the ball and doing the touchdown dance as much as the next Saab owner. I just feel we ought to pin our hopes passing deep to somebody besides Youngman. That receiver is well-defended.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Some good points #1. I just don't see how Saab can survive without the help of a major European or American car manufacturer. Developing new models is extremely expensive these days and nobody is waiting for Saabs based on a platform of an (unknown) Asian manufacturer. You just can't make money selling 100K mainstream cars a year without a big markup.

Saab(s)
    2004 9-3 convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Wulfers View Post
    I just don't see how Saab can survive without the help of a major European or American car manufacturer.
    Maybe the Germans or possibly the French, but it seems they aren't serious about making a move or we would have heard something by now. As for Ford or Chrysler I wouldn't expect any interest at all. Ford took a beating owning Volvo (and others) and Fiat already has its hands full pulling everyone in Auburn Hills out of the ditch. Looks awfully bleak for Saab.

I'm new around here but I think you're doing a wonderful job building up Saab World. Continued success!

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    I don't think the Germans have any use for Saab. What German company would? VAG has enough between VW, Audi, and other companies to make Saab a redundant brand. Mercedes has a possibilities, but that would push Saab into a more entry level car company. Saab was originally a bit of a entry level car. I wouldn't be opposed to that, as long as entry level didn't mean crap. BMW might have a spot, but they've got MINI, and it just seems Saab wouldn't have a place in BMW's little world.

Then again, why would anyone want to buy Saab. They don't really have anything any other car company wants... other than the Chinese.
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig

Saab(s)
    2004 9-3 convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
    I don't think the Germans have any use for Saab. What German company would? ... Saab was originally a bit of a entry level car. I wouldn't be opposed to that, as long as entry level didn't mean crap....
    Of all the competing brands, I would finger Audi as the one most responsible for burying Saab. Saab should have been in the forefront of AWD technology as the brand most-identified with exceptional poor weather handling, but Audi (and plenty others) beat Saab/GM by many years. Audi (and others) also grabbed the utilitarian "hatchback" niche from Saab after GM gave up and started selling more traditional station wagon designs. What were they thinking???

The only hope I see is as you suggest for the Saab brand to be bought as an entry-level line, but more likely the Germans would be more gleeful if the brand just died.

Audi has come a long way from its frumpy and boring overpriced-VW image of the 1970s. Nearly all of their new image came at Saab's expense.