Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab(s)
    01 95 Aero and Wagon, 09 93 Combi and an 08 95 Combi

Could someone explain AUX

I am thinking about an XM for my 01 9 5 Aero. XM has a radio that works with AUX. I know a bunch of you know what all that is but I dont. Can someone bring me up to date

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    It's an abbreviation for Auxiliary. It usually is a 3.5mm or RCA connection between an audio source (XM radio, MP3 player etc) and sound system in a car (3.5mm connector).

The 1998 - 2005 9-5 does not have this as you probably know. There are a few ways to add this to the earlier models, each with its degree of difficulty and sound quality.

• FM adapter: this plugs in between the audio unit and antenna cable. I had this on my 2005 9-5 and audio quality was decent.
    • FM transmitter: No direct connection to the audio head unit in the car and transmits audio over the air. I have heard this provides the worst audio quality
    • Tape adapter: Pretty good quality and the easiest to add. I had this in another 9-5 and was pretty happy with the audio quality. Obviously, this option won't work if you have the factory navigation system.
    • Phone-in: requires opening up the audio unit and soldering connections. I have read about good audio quality results but is the most difficult to do.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2005 Arc 9-5
    I had tried the tape option but ended up not finishing it since the tutorials has a different PCB board and the my PCB board is newer than the tutorial. I had used the Phone-In method. If you are fine with soldering wires and opening the stereo then this would be good.
    I have a 2005 Arc 9-5.
    I had installed a switch too.
    Audio is very good. I still have to install a ground-loop adaptor soon but if you are just using an mp3 player, not plugged in to your 12Vdc outlet then the ground-loop adapter is not necessary.

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    If you can source an Audio Troll used - they work great. No Longer made either and do not buy into them being made again... I have one of the IPOD my Saab versions which is an Ipod cable in the adapter and it works with the steering wheel controls and the SID to display what you are listening too. It also charges the IPOD as you listed to it. It was a great idea which sadly was not a big seller when they came around the first time.
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    A company in Sweden makes something similar for the 9-3 and 9-5. It doesn't display anything on the SID but sounds like a good quality connection. It's about US$180 which includes worldwide shipping.

SAAB AUX | Connect a musicplayer to your car!

CDConnect is the leading AUX-adapter for SAAB – it gives you an AUX in connection in the mid-console of your car. With an auxiliary input connection you have the possibility to connect any music player to the car’s stereo. CDConnect works with all music players that have an outlet with analogue audio signal such as for example mobile phones (e.g. Iphone), mp-3 players, and laptops. In order to connect the music player you just have to use a patch cable and plug one end into the music player’s headphone jack and the other in the car.

The aux-adapter connects to the stereo through the car’s CAN-bus and enables the possibility to send audio through the stereo’s inlet for the CD-changer. The unit is easily connected through a set of plug-and-play cables and with the accompanying panel jack button it creates a feeling of being SAAB authentic.