Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2001 9-5 Wagon 2.3T
    Thumbs Up:   0

How to remove (stuck) crank case cam/valve cover?

It was a nice day today so I decided to put in the new crankcase cover gasket I just got. I thought it would be a simple job. Started with removing the Direct Ignition Cassette, wrestle with the red tab on the plug, managed to pull it up but still had trouble unplugging it. Didn't want to apply excessive force so just flipped it over to get it out of the way. Took all the bolts out of the crankcase, not a problem but I could not get the crank case cover off . The new Elring gasket I have is about 1/4" thick. There is no sign of the old gasket visible may be it got all worn down or squished. I couldn't get any leverage to prise it off or pull. It seems that the crank case cover is stuck in there. Is there a trick to removing it? I didn't want to run a knife around it in case it would damage the crank case cover.

Your prompt response would be much appreciated as I want to tackle it again tomorrow before putting all the bolts back. Thanks in advance.

0 Not allowed!

Saab(s)
    2011 9-3 Aero XWD Performance by Hirsch
    Thumbs Up:   1
    This is pretty common, I usually give it a couple good taps with a big rubber mallet and it will pop loose. Also, make sure you have all of the bolts out of the valve cover.

0 Not allowed!
    2011 Saab 9-3 Aero XWD Performance by Hirsch "Wolffe"

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Sedan - 06' 9-3 Combi - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    Thumbs Up:   3
    You mean the VALVE COVER gasket - the crank case breather is located on the back side of the block... (aka the Flame trap). The Valve cover just has a PCV nipple and vent return into it. It doesn't really do anything aside keep the oil from exiting the valve cover.

Agreed - you need a GOOD rubber mallet and a few wacks the the side of it will pop it loose.

0 Not allowed!

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2001 9-5 Aero
    I'll third the rubber mallet, also having the engine warm seems to help unstick it.

0 Not allowed!

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2001 9-5 Wagon 2.3T
    It worked! I used a block of wood and tapped it with a hammer a few times. My rubber mallet was a little too flimsy for the job. It's the valve cover, some call it cam box, like everything else I found out since I started to venture under the hood not too long ago, there are usually at least 3 different names for the same thing. Thanks for all your input!

It turned out that the old seal was in good shape. I needn't have bothered replacing the gasket. Oh well, it should last another 100k miles or so. There were signs of oil spewing behind the valve cover that's why i thought it would be worthwhile replacing the gasket. Now I know that that must have come from a broken nipple and grommet in the PCV hose. I found the PCV hose disconnected from the valve cover with a broken grommet and nipple a couple of weeks ago and frankly don't know for how long it had been like that. I have a generic grommet for now and the PCV upgrade should fix that for good. I have a PCV upgrade kit on its way and that will be the next job on the list.

I was also curious to have a peek into the state of the engine as far as sludge concern goes. Forgot to take a photo. It was brown with a film of oil all over as to be expected. My neighbor who is a more experienced car mechanic than I thought it looked clean enough so I am not overly eager to drop the sump any time soon.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by juze; 24 February 2012 at 03:18.

mdb99@bellsouth.net
    Saab(s)
    01 95 Aero and Wagon, 09 93 Combi and an 08 95 Combi
    Thumbs Up:   9
    Likely varnish from Dino oil. You cant tell if your pickup screen is clogged from the top. You need to drop the sump.
    Sorry

0 Not allowed!

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Thumbs Up:   46
    The inside of the engine of my 2001 9-5 was brown as well.

And this is what the inside of my sump looked like. I am sure you can do the math... As Mike said, drop that sump!

http://saabworld.net/f29/saab-9-5-oi...heck-sludge-7/

0 Not allowed!

Saab(s)
    2011 9-3 Aero XWD Performance by Hirsch
    Thumbs Up:   1
    I need to echo the sentiments of Mike and Frank, on any of those '99-'03 cars you really have to drop the pan periodically and clean everything out. Otherwise, you're setting yourself up for failure.

0 Not allowed!
    2011 Saab 9-3 Aero XWD Performance by Hirsch "Wolffe"