Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

P1230 - Throttle Position Sensor 1 and 2 Circuit

Sum Out of Range.

(Faulty signal from throttle disc position sensor)

Fault symptom

• CHECK ENGINE.
    • Idling speed incorrect.
    • Starting problems, especially when engine is cold
    • Cruise control not working.

Note
    Diagnosis has been improved in more recent software which means it is no longer necessary to change the throttle body. The software providing enhanced diagnosis is available for all model years and engine variants. The throttle body must be reset mechanically following SPS programming (Service Programming System). If this is not done, other DTCs will be generated after several running cycles.

MY02 and later vehicles have this software. Perform regular fault diagnosis.

Type of diagnosis:
    - Continuous. But interrupted when fault criteria fulfilled and will not restart until next driving cycle.

Enable criteria:
    - Ignition in ON position.

Fault criteria:
    - The sum of voltages from throttle position sensors 1 and 2 exceeds 5.70 V for more than 0.8 s or is less than 4.59 V for more than 0.3 s.

Dependents:
    - None.

System reaction to a fault:
    - Throttle control goes into limp-home mode. The limp-home solenoid will be activated 5 times in succession each time the ignition is turned on until the fault has been rectified and the trouble codes cleared.

OK report:
    - Accelerator pedal has been depressed at some time and then fully released. 120 s has expired since then without fault criteria being fulfilled.

Fault handling: (See “Fault diagnosis, general” for more information.)
    - CHECK ENGINE goes on immediately and can be turned off only by clearing the trouble codes.

Diagnostic help
    Fault diagnosis relates to incorrect signals from the throttle disc position sensor and its wiring.

Functions in the diagnostic tool related to the fault:
    • Throttle Position Sensor 1, unit V.
    • Throttle Position Sensor 2, unit V.
    See also description of read value under "Read Values" menu for more information.

Checking the wiring
    Jiggle the wiring harness at several points and in different directions to detect intermittent breaks and short circuits. Check switches, connectors and crimp connections for oxidation, withdrawn pins and pin clamping force.

Software table
    Perform SPS programming (Service Programming System) if T7 has an earlier software version than that stated below. The software below has the updated diagnostic procedure for P1230.

Name:  P1230-1.gif
Views: 11814
Size:  9.3 KB

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    Also means you need a throttle body
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

M Guy Ross
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    SAAB 9-5 SE
    Hi Burnsside42. It's been a while. my 2001 Saab 9-5SE. While I was replacing my turbo, I was retrieving a part that fell into the throttle throat. After I got everything back together, the car will not start. Got 1530 and/or 1230 codes. Did the limp home reset several times and it went back into limp home each time.
    Questions: 1. when sticking my grease covered fingers into throat, could I have messed up the sensors, and is this repairable- how? 2. while moving the butterfly to retrieve the part, could I have messed up the sensors, and is this repairable- how? 3. the WIS shows volt testing the sensors and gives 'B+' as a contact point. Does this mean positive battery post? Or what. 4. If I take it out, is there any repairs I can do on it before I spend $350-$400 for the part? and 5. There is also references to software updates. How do I determine whether my car has or does not have the update and does this mean that a replacement will not work on my car?
    b

M Guy Ross
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    SAAB 9-5 SE
    Thanks, although that's not what I wanted to hear. I did get some cleaner for sensors, took out the body, cleaned it, replaced it and followed the steps for resetting the limp home function. Still throwing 1230 & 1530 codes and going into limp home. Is there any repairing the throttle control or is R&R the only option?
    BTW, why doesn't it start in limp home?

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2001 9-5 5 door
    Adding some info from my recent expedition into P1250 resolution.

The ECU outputs 5v on two pins -- 69 and 46. These feed various sensors. Per the WIS, the two 5v feeds are combined in the TB, therefore if one circuit has a fault, it will not cause limp home mode -- both circuits have to fail.

I'm here to tell you, this isn't true. I had one fault -- open/short to ground on the evap pressure sensor on the fuel tank. This alone is not supposed to be able to set limp home mode, but it did. As soon as I disconnected the wires to the evap pressure sensor, the P1250 stopped and limp home mode stopped.

The lesson -- disconnect all of the components on the two 5v feeds from the ECU. Add them back until you find the failure.

Saab(s)
    04 9-5 Aero, 04 9-5 ARC, 08 9-5 2.3T

p1530 help

ts888, Could you provide a wiring diagram for the ECU?

My 08 2.3T is throwing code p1530 and initiating Limp Home Mode.
    I swapped out the throttle body with a working spare, still getting p1530 and LHM. So I have ruled out a faulty throttle body or faulty throttle body sensor. I checked the 10 pin connector at the throttle body, it is clean and making good contact. So i have ruled out the 10 pin connector.
    My next step is to use your approach of 'disconnect all of the components on the two 5v feeds from the ECU. Add them back until you find the failure.' But because I do not have a wiring diagram, I don't know which components are on the two 5V feeds.
    Also I could use some practical advice on how to implement your strategy. How do I disconnect the multiple components on the 5V feed and still run the engine long enough to throw the p1530 code and initiate LHM? Won't disconnecting multiple components cause their own codes to be thrown?
    Thanks in advance for your help!

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2001 9-5 5 door
    The best way to get all the wiring diagrams is to download and install the WIS. I'm not aware of the WIS being available on this forum, but it is available gratis from another SAAB forum that has been around for a while. I'm not technically savvy enough to pull copies of the wiring diagrams out of it.

Yes, disconnecting other components will cause codes, but you;re looking for the culprit to a limp home servo activation. The other codes might set a CEL, but that can be cleared. Or not, mine has been on ever since I got the car running because it isn't 100% happy with the signal from the MAP sensor. The car runs fine.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Instructions for downloading and installing the WIS can be found here: http://saabworld.net/showthread.php?t=33310

Saab(s)
    04 9-5 Aero, 04 9-5 ARC, 08 9-5 2.3T
    I was able to download the WIS as per the instructions from nordwulf, thank you!

As per the WIS, there are 5 sensors on the 5V circuit, however it comprises only 4 components as 2 of the sensors are contained in the throttle body.

Engine\Trionic T7, 4-cyl Technical description - 5V supply
    9-5 (9600) 8 2008
    The following sensors are supplied with 5V from control module pins 69 and 46. The two 5V supplies are internally coupled to each other in the throttle body.
    Manifold absolute pressure sensor (431 Located on the intake manifold.)
    Charge air absolute pressure sensor (The absolute pressure sensor 603 is integrated with the temperature sensor 407 in one component. The 407/603 sensor is located on the charge air pipe.)
    Differential pressure sensor, tank (a.k.a. Evap Pressure sensor 585, located on the fuel tank by the fuel pump.)
    Pedal position sensors (Integrated into the throttle body 406)
    Throttle position sensor (Integrated into the throttle body 406)
    Diagnostics
    A short circuit on the 5V supply will put the throttle in limp-home mode and can be caused by
    a fault in the wiring harness or a sensor supplied with 5V. As the two 5V supplies are
    internally coupled in the throttle housing, no symptoms will appear if there is a break in just
    one of them.

ts888,
    Thank you for your insight.
    I had a crimp in the wire leading to the Charge air absolute pressure sensor. I fixed the crimp and she is running like Secretariat once again!