Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2003 9-5 Linear sedan

Exposed air filter

I just acquired a 2003 9-5 Linear for my 16 yr old son. The last owner didn't respect the car very much, but I have been able to show my son how little effort it takes to maintain such a beautiful machine. We replaced all the lamps that were out, changed the fuel filter, and started to change the air filter. I got under the car and there is an exposed K&N filter. How/what/where do I get this back to stock? Or should I not worry about it and just replace the filter with a similar one?

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    Quote Originally Posted by Sk8Rat View Post
    I just acquired a 2003 9-5 Linear for my 16 yr old son. The last owner didn't respect the car very much, but I have been able to show my son how little effort it takes to maintain such a beautiful machine. We replaced all the lamps that were out, changed the fuel filter, and started to change the air filter. I got under the car and there is an exposed K&N filter. How/what/where do I get this back to stock? Or should I not worry about it and just replace the filter with a similar one?
    Seek out a stock airbox - these cars don't like puddles or deep water as it is - and putting an open air filter down on the ground is a VERY VERY bad idea. Is the box completely gone or is the housing there with no bottom?

eEuroparts - Air Filter Housing - # 4572509 - Air Filter Housing
    eEuroparts - Air Filter Cover - # 4572517 - Air Filter Cover

You will also likely need this too;
    eEuroparts - Air Box Intake Hose - # 12846127
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2003 9-5 Linear sedan
    Thanks! I was afraid of that. There is nothing there but the intake hose.

Changing the fuel filter has made it a different car.
    I'll get on changing out the air cleaner ASAP.

Saab(s)
    '11 9-4X, '07 9-5 Combi, '99 Viggen, '88 900t, '87 ASFT, '85 SPG, '72 96
    Pay close attention to what bulbs the manual says to use. My 07 had 1157 bulbs in the brake lights and they are not what it specifies. Both burned out within a few months of ownership. But the correct whatever they are ones are still going strong.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2003 9-5 Linear sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by Tweek's Turbos View Post
    Pay close attention to what bulbs the manual says to use. My 07 had 1157 bulbs in the brake lights and they are not what it specifies. Both burned out within a few months of ownership. But the correct whatever they are ones are still going strong.
    I used the owner's manual to get the part numbers. I'll pay close attention to how long they last though.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2003 9-5 Linear sedan
    We drove it quite a bit yesterday. He wanted to practice his parallel parking. We stopped and started it at least 8 times. It ran like a top. I went out this morning and it won't hit a lick. It turns over, but never hits. Any ideas on what to look at first?

Jeffrey
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    Quote Originally Posted by Sk8Rat View Post
    We drove it quite a bit yesterday. He wanted to practice his parallel parking. We stopped and started it at least 8 times. It ran like a top. I went out this morning and it won't hit a lick. It turns over, but never hits. Any ideas on what to look at first?
    Cranking over - but no go?

It's 1 of three things likely.
    Fuel Pump
    Neutral Safety Switch (Transmission Range Switch) (This is typically a no-crank, just key on power fault)
    Ignition Cassette

Or bonus - a one time Saab fluke!
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Saab(s)
    2011 9-3 Aero XWD Performance by Hirsch
    Not trying to start any heated arguments or debates because I know this is a highly contested subject, but I've honestly not a had a single problem with the open air filter on my 9-5 Aero. I shared the same concern about its location and was hesitant to do the install (using the Taliaferro/Genuine Saab kit) but after talking to a handful of people who had done it, they said that they had no issues at all. Some had even gone a step further to add a splash shield for it and afterwards said that it wasn't really needed.
    2011 Saab 9-3 Aero XWD Performance by Hirsch "Wolffe"

Jeffrey
    Saab(s)
    Not gonna debate - just gonna say I have seen my fair share of STOCK air-boxed 9-5's get totaled from water being sucked up from deep water (foolish driving) events. It's not worth the added risk IMHO - just get a nice K&N or other stock replacement filter and the upgraded intake pipe which I posted above and it's all you will ever truely need on a stock to stage 3 car. If you have more then that then you have reasons for it - but I doubt it's needed in this application, and with a 16 year old behind the wheel - the more original the car is, the better it will fare.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2003 9-5 Linear sedan
    Apparently no fluke. :-(
    It turns over, but never even sputters. Everything on the dashboard display shows ok. I read that a temporary fix might be to move the gear selector back and forth. I tried that. No avail. It does sound like the issue though. There have been several times it just won't start. Then a few hours later, it fires right up.

Is there a way to see if the fuel pump is working? It worked GREAT Saturday. I guess I'll check all my fuses as well, but that is how desperate I am getting.