Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Jay
    Saab(s)
    07 93 SC Aero 6spd

$5k to spend on a used car

Trying to help out a friend. Single mom trying to find a decent car for her 17 year old son.

They've got $5000 to spend and need a reliable car with reasonable mileage.

I was thinking Mazda 3, but everything I'm finding has 150K+ miles on them.

With that amount of money to spend, I'm thinking a Japanese car is the way to go.

What do you guys think?
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Wulfers View Post
    Note to new members: choose your user name carefully because it will stick with you for the rest of your forum life.

Jared
    Saab(s)
    2003 Saab 9-5 ARC ( and care-taker of a '98 900SE)
    If this was last summer she could have bought our Mazda6 with 95k. Looks rough, but runs great. Decided to keep it after a deal on a Cadillac and a Saab fell through.

I think a Corolla would be a safe bet, or even a Ford Windstar, or similar van. A lot of vans seem to have a really low resale value so snagging a decent one under $5k could be easily done.
    I don't drive fast...I fly slow

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    Saturn SL2/SW2
    Toyota Corolla
    Chevy Colbolt

You can pick up a 1999-2002 Saturn SL series all day long with 120K for near $2000 - they are great first cars. Good on gas - cheap to fix - they look decent and seat 4 adults fine. Medium size trunks too. Can't beat dent resistant panels either!
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Masterfully Slow Learner SPGreg's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    Three SPGs
    My vote would be for a Honda. My son has a 1987 Prelude & my wife a 1997 Accord. I've had many Toyotas over the years (two Corollas and one Corona) but the Hondas have been vastly more reliable.

Renato Piereck
    Spreading the Saab virus rpiereck's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    '00 9-5 Aero SC, 87 900i 8v
    I would say also look at used Sonatas or Elantras, they have been very reliable for the last ten years at least. I have owned four Korean cars and none has ever let me down.

Andy Graham
    modérateur
    Saab(s)
    '88 vert, '88 Aero
    +1 on the Honda, ours is unstoppable. But I would be prioritising safety over reliability. First prerequisite would be front and side airbags, for driver and front passenger at least. Should be plenty of those available around $5000 (dare I suggest a 2004 9-5 -- safe and surprisingly reliable according to the statistics)

Jay
    Saab(s)
    07 93 SC Aero 6spd
    I'm hesitant to recommend a European car simply because the cost of ownership is so high. I can afford $250 for a brake job, but a 17 year old in high school probably can't.

I need to talk to the kid and see what his requirements are.

J-Rod, a minivan for a 17 year old boy still in high school? Are you trying to make sure the kid never gets laid?
    Note to new members: choose your user name carefully because it will stick with you for the rest of your forum life.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Quote Originally Posted by Hirsch View Post
    I need to talk to the kid and see what his requirements are.
    I can tell you that without having to ask the kid. His requirements are a newer, fast, 2-door coupe with plenty of horsepower and great looks.

How about considering a new Nissan Versa for $12K out the door? Monthly payment for 60 months will be about $215 so $5000 will cover the first 2 years. And you have a new car warranty and no repair or major maintenance costs for the next 5 years. When you consider the maintenance and repair cost of a 5+ year old car, a new inexpensive car may not be that much more expensive.

Jay
    Saab(s)
    07 93 SC Aero 6spd
    Because he's 17, still in high school and moms credit isn't that good. They can't afford a new car and the full coverage insurance that a new or leased car requires. They have $5000 to spend, no more.

And economy is highest on his priority list. He knows he's not going to get a late model Mustang or any real performance car in his price range.

Saab(s)
    2004 9-3 convertible
    My daughter is 15 and we'll be crossing this same threshold in the next few years with roughly the same $5K budget. I've got in mind either a Hyundai or Japanese three-door hatch so she can make her way to and from school. Maybe a Ford Focus? Need something cheap, reliable, easy to maintain and nothing to cry over should it get a dent or two along the way.

Of course a giant TANK would add lots of piece of mind. Maybe a Ford LTD?
    [FONT=verdana]Never met a SAAB I didn't like. [/FONT]