Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    1988 T16s Notchback & 1990 900 Turbo 16v Aero

Talking Restore an internal light switch (part number 9559766)

Hi everyone,

I am busy restoring my current 900 and as I am fixing a few odd items I thought that I would post a description, in case it helps anyone else.

I found that my internal light switch was faulty - this is the one in the centre console that has three settings (marked 0, 1 and 2) that switches off the light, allows it to come on when the doors are open and fully on.

These switches can be refurbished;

Remove the switch by gently prizing out of the console with a small, flat bladed screwdriver taking care not to damage the plastic.

Detach the multi-plug. This will only go back on in one way so don't worry about refitting later.

On each side of the switch you will see a small hole. Use a small, blunt tool like a braddle to press against the plastic inside the hole while gentle levering the rocker part free. With a little care the switch will separate.

Inside there is only one part - a slim piece of copper that sits on the end of the rocker switch. This will come free.

You will see three connections inside the housing at the bottom. These are usually corroded so a spray of IsoPropyl Alcohol (you can get it from Maplin or Halfords) followed by a wipe may clean them sufficiently. If they are badly corroded, use a small screwdriver or other tool to scrape the corrosion away.

Clean the copper part and reassemble the three parts; Place the copper on the end of the rocker part so that the 'teeth' are facing towards the contacts when the switch is clipped back together.

Finally push the rocker and copper plate back into place of the housing.

Reattach the cable and push the switch back home in the console.

You may have to repeat this a few times until the switch if fully clean if you don't make it work first time.

Best of luck!

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    This also works on ALL Saab rocker switches - usually this is why they stop working from dirt and corrosion. OG9-3 and 9-5 window switches too!
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com