Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    9-5NG SC
    Brownieone: congrats! I checked out the GMNavdisc.com site and it states that the VIN number is needed to unlock the map data. Is this correct? If so, what VIN did you use, the Caddy SRX or the 9-4X?

Quote Originally Posted by brownieone View Post
    Mark ... you will be very happy. 100% success here!

Though it is the CY14 disc, the version is 2013.02 ... which I hope means the second (and final) update they did in 2013 and that the "2" does not represent "February."

It took about a week for the disc to get to me ... interestingly from a warehouse in Memphis.

Attachment 11482

Saab(s)
    2011 9-4X Premium, 2010 9-5 Aero, 2008 TurboX SC
    I used my 9-4X VIN ... it took it.

Saab(s)
    One last discovery ... the disc truly is tied to the VIN you entered onto the website. In the spirit of discovery, I loaded this update DVD (that I successfully used in my 9-4X) into my NG 9-5. The process was good up until the point where I had to enter in the password that came with the DVD (and derived from my VIN). Unfortunately, the software said the password was not valid.

Best I can determine is the software on the DVD somehow reads the car's VIN, and then compares it to the password that is typed in (and which is given to the customer after entering the vehicle's VIN at time of purchase). There must be a formula being run. Since this car's VIN was not the one that I provided (and from which a password was generated), the password was not valid in the 9-5. Anyway, that's my best guess.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2011 9-4x, 2008 9-3 Aero, had 2005 9-3 Arc, '93 9000CSE, '86 9000Turbo
    My disc arrived today. I updated successfully.

For some reason at first when entering the password for the disc, it would not take OK or Cancel. I tried touching the screen, as well as using the knob to rotate and try and select. Eventually my wife tapping OK worked. It took just over 1.5hrs. I did it while driving to Hershey Park. It had not completed when we got there. Thankfully my wife read that if the car's ignition is turned off during update, it will continue when the car is restarted. That did happen.

My maps are updated. A few local roads which didn't report speed limits before, now do report the correct speed limits. One of the roads even properly noticed the speed limit change between 35 and 45mph at the location of the street sign!

Since I was in Hershey, I decided to enter my home address. Its a new neighborhood and didn't exist on the map data that came on my 9-4x. When entering the street name, it was not found. It did find the other street in the neighborhood and accepted house numbers. When I hit "map" it did not show either street.

When I finally arrived home, the NAV did show my neighborhood on the screen. Its late, and I had to carry our sleeping child up to bed (and change him into his PJ's), so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to see what happens when I mark my current position. Will it properly list my street address, or not.

Oh, and 9-5NG_SC, I too used the VIN number from my 9-4x when ordering.

Saab(s)
    Once in a while, my touch screen does not respond ... so that it happened to you during the NAV update may be a coincidence.

I have not determined a rhyme or reason to it ... and it happens maybe 2% of the time MAX ... where it requires an extra hard push.

Just something to think about going forward. Congrats on a successful update!

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    Thanks again for trying it first!

Yeah, this is the first time my touch screen didn't respond. And more weird was rotating the dial went to each letter and number, but never went to cancel or OK... Just glad it worked

Oh, and one tip for anyone who shuts the car off, or puts it in reverse... if the Nav Update progress screen goes away, don't panic. Just hit the NAV button on the radio to get it back in view.

EDIT: Just an update since I got into my 9-4x yesterday finally (was sick Sunday).

Brownieone, your hopes that v20.13.02 means the 2nd update in 2013 and not Feb 2013, might be dashed... it might really be "Feb 2013" maps.

We signed our house paperwork in early March 2012, and moved in Oct 22, 2012. This neighborhood is new construction, so map data was expected to be a little off.

The maps I had when I got my 9-4x (Oct 2011) showed the "main" road (Lone Eagle), and the older part of the neighborhood on the north side of Lone Eagle which was built starting in 2006. They started building our section on the south side of Lone Eagle in 2010. Neither the road into our section (Powder Mill), nor the street our house is on (Polo Run) was on my 9-4x's maps. For "home" I had to put a marker on Lone Eagle at the opening of our neighborhood as saving a marker on our driveway or near our house messed up the Nav's directions (apparently due to no roads off Lone Eagle to get to the house dot).

As of March 2012, Google maps showed both Lone Eagle and Polo Run properly, an the satellite view showed some houses built. September 2012 satellite view showed our house and many others built. June 2013 it showed the neighborhood nearly completed. The first families moved into this section as early as October 2011 (one of the first was onto Polo Run!). While BING Maps has never shown proper "Birds Eye" (aka satellite) view (it still shows as untouched fields), it did show roads as "Powder Hill Road" and "Polo Run Road" along with improperly having an unpaved emergency easement/exit as an extension of Polo Run out the other side of the neighborhood. My mom's Garmin (uses Navteq maps) was updated to include "Powder Hill", "Polo Run" and the incorrect unpaved easement/emergency access as Polo Run early in 2013 (January I think). She got a Buick Verano in August 2013, and its Bose Nav system did properly show our neighborhood, including being able to properly find our house by entering the address. NOTE: As of right now, BING's road view shows the roads drawn properly (unpaved easement not there), and still has Powder Mill as Powder Hill, but their Birds Eye view shows untouched field and the easement as a road.

As I posted previously, after installing the new map update in my 9-4x Polo Run isn't listed as a street when I try to enter an address. Looking at it closer when I got in the car yesterday, while Powder Mill and Polo Run are properly drawn on the map (including NOT having the unpaved easement as part of the roads), Powder Mill is labeled, however Polo Run is not. Saving a point on my driveway or in front of my house shows me just the City, no street address. While out shopping, if I use that point to navigate home, it gets me there, calling Polo Run as "un-named road" in the directions.

These maps are a definite upgrade from those in the Nav unit when I purchased my 9-4x, especially since they include more speed limits for secondary roads, but they are not the "most up to date" maps.
    Last edited by Mark_Venture; 31 December 2013 at 13:47.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Venture View Post
    Just an FYI.. if you need/want to try the maps update... GMNAVDISC.COM is having a special until Dec 20...

That makes the "GM - NORTH AMERICA MAP UPDATE - DENSO GLOBAL A - V.2014 SKU# 23175134" for the 2011 SRX $159.99.
    Any one who missed it last time, they are running the special again...

Save $40 off the regular price of $199.99 and get free shipping. This special offer of $159.99 plus free shipping is available through July 31, 2014.