Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    88' 9000 2.0i, 05' 9-5 Aero 345HP, 11' 9-4X Aero Hirsch

DVD from what car can i use in my 9-4X?

I did not find NAV for SRX for my area, so which cars got same nav unit?

For example in my 9-5 05 i used LAND ROVER or SUBARU nav disc.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    The navigation system in the SRX (and I assume the 9-4X as well) is made by Alpine but I don't know which other cars use the same system.

http://saabworld.net/f141/saab-9-4x-...%E9xico-24532/

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2011 9-4x, 2008 9-3 Aero, had 2005 9-3 Arc, '93 9000CSE, '86 9000Turbo
    Does it hurt to try a NAV update disc from another model?

i.e. Visiting the GM Nav Disc center page, and selecting Caddy SRX 2010, 2011, or 2012, the following comes up -> 2012 Global A High Nav Disc 22827639 $199.99.

If I get that disc and stick it in, rather than trying to use it to update, will the radio reject it if it isn't right? Or do I risk messing up my setup?

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    88' 9000 2.0i, 05' 9-5 Aero 345HP, 11' 9-4X Aero Hirsch
    Upload some warez if you get this disc.

Saab(s)
    2011 9-4X Premium, 2010 9-5 Aero, 2008 TurboX SC
    I had heard the Global A High Nav Disc is "the one". You should also have the option to choose the make of your vehicle. Hopefully Saab is still a menu choice as I'd hate to see a Caddy logo replace my Saab logo when I boot up the vehicle.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brownieone View Post
    I had heard the Global A High Nav Disc is "the one". You should also have the option to choose the make of your vehicle. Hopefully Saab is still a menu choice as I'd hate to see a Caddy logo replace my Saab logo when I boot up the vehicle.
    where did you hear it from?

I'm so tempted to buy one, but I am to scared of messing up my radio or nav unit. I've never upgraded an incar system, so I don't know if it does any verifications (to make sure its right) first, prompts the user to proceed, etc. to make sure nothing bad happens, or if it just goes and tries to update it...

Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Venture View Post
    where did you hear it from?

I'm so tempted to buy one, but I am to scared of messing up my radio or nav unit. I've never upgraded an incar system, so I don't know if it does any verifications (to make sure its right) first, prompts the user to proceed, etc. to make sure nothing bad happens, or if it just goes and tries to update it...
    Admittedly it was from a Facebook NG 9-5 forum for the NG 9-5. But since they have the same system, it should work. Maybe call an existing Saab dealer about that specific disc and see what they say? I've had good sucessful getting straight scoop from Saab of Memphis, but I have not asked them this specific question.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    Just a follow up on this old thread... I never got a Map update Disc. Seeing that the GMNAVDISC.COM site has posted new updates, I decided to look into this further.

As expected, the 9-4x isn't listed on their site. I used the "contact us" button and asked if they have any updates for the 9-4x. Here is the response email...

Bonnie <webstore_na@navteq.com> wrote:
    Hello Michael,
    Thank you for contacting General Motors Navigation Center. Currently we do not produce or distribute discs for the 2011 9-4 at this time. For information please contact your nearest authorized Saab dealership.

If you need additional assistance, please send us your feedback by replying to this email.

Kind regards,

General Motors Navigation Center
    P.O. Box 1588
    Orem, UT 84059
    nabc_english@navteq.com
    When I replied stating that the documentation with my 9-4x and my dealer directs me to GMNavdisc.com, they just replied they have no updates for the 9-4x at this time.

I emailed Saab Parts North America, asking if they have any updates for maps in the 9-4x Nav system. Here is their response...
    ---------- Forwarded message ----------
    Date: Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 9:13 AM
    Subject: RE: Owner enquiry
    To: "xxxx.xxxxxx@gmail.com"

Good Morning Mr. Mxxxxxxx,

Thank you for contacting Saab Automobile Parts North America. It would be correct that GM Nav Disc Center would have any available Nav disc updates. However, when checking there are no new discs for the 9-4x available and they may possible not have any in the future either. I did do some further research and the disc for the 2011 Cadillac SRX would work in your 9-4x and there is an updated map disc for the SRX. According to the website, the price is $199.99.

Have a nice day!

Saab Automobile Parts North America
    So that confirms the SRX update will work. GMNavdisc does ask for VIN number when ordering now, so I'll have to get my VIN and try going through the order process to see if it lets me passed with the 9-4x VIN rather than an SRX vin.

Since it appears Navteq is supplying the map data, and it costs $199.99, I might wait on an upgrade until they fix a street in our new neighborhood. On Garmin units, Navteq map data incorrectly indicate an easement to be used for emergency vehicles only, as actually being a PAVED road into the development. Per the builder, this will never be a paved road. Google Maps shows it correctly. And I've reported the error using Navteq's Map Reporter site. One reason I've been thinking about the upgrade is because our new neighborhood isn't in the 9-4x's database, but it is in the Garmin and other units, even with this one wrong street.
    Last edited by Mark_Venture; 11 January 2013 at 14:44.

Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Venture View Post
    Just a follow up on this old thread... I never got a Map update Disc. Seeing that the GMNAVDISC.COM site has posted new updates, I decided to look into this further.

As expected, the 9-4x isn't listed on their site. I used the "contact us" button and asked if they have any updates for the 9-4x. Here is the response email...

When I replied stating that the documentation with my 9-4x and my dealer directs me to GMNavdisc.com, they just replied they have no updates for the 9-4x at this time.

I emailed Saab Parts North America, asking if they have any updates for maps in the 9-4x Nav system. Here is their response...
    So that confirms the SRX update will work. GMNavdisc does ask for VIN number when ordering now, so I'll have to get my VIN and try going through the order process to see if it lets me passed with the 9-4x VIN rather than an SRX vin.

Since it appears Navteq is supplying the map data, and it costs $199.99, I might wait on an upgrade until they fix a street in our new neighborhood. On Garmin units, Navteq map data incorrectly indicate an easement to be used for emergency vehicles only, as actually being a PAVED road into the development. Per the builder, this will never be a paved road. Google Maps shows it correctly. And I've reported the error using Navteq's Map Reporter site. One reason I've been thinking about the upgrade is because our new neighborhood isn't in the 9-4x's database, but it is in the Garmin and other units, even with this one wrong street.
    I may be crazy enough to eventually plunk down 200 bones for a Caddy disc to update my 9-4X NAV only if all my SAAB logos and color schemes remain. I don't want a Caddy logo to spin up on the screen when I start my vehicle. Anyone try this yet?

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    Just an FYI.. if you need/want to try the maps update... GMNAVDISC.COM is having a special until Dec 20...

IMPORTANT: OFFER EXTENDED! Purchase before December 20, 2013 and save $40 off the standard price of $199.99 and receive free ground shipping! Free shipping offer is only valid to the contiguous U.S. (lower 48 states).
    That makes the "GM - NORTH AMERICA MAP UPDATE - DENSO GLOBAL A - V.2014 SKU# 23175134" for the 2011 SRX $159.99.