Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2004 9-5 ARC 2.3T wagon
    Initially I was looking for info about the speaker way in the back corner in my wagon. It has never put out much volume, even when the radio is turned up pretty loud. And, with the parcel shelf in place it might as well not even be there. I know it works because when the volume is up I can hear music play and feel the grill vibrate (slightly) when I put my hand on it. In digging around I found the info above about the audio system, which indicates there a couple of features I wanted to confirm or set. One of them is the "Speed-dependent volume", another is the "Loudness ON/OFF". I know these are both supposed to be "On" by default but I've discovered several other things which had been turned off at some point in the past, and looks like these are 'off', as well.

The instructions are pretty straight-forward - press and hold down the 'band' button and then turn on the radio. However, other than switching to another frequency band (from FM to AM in this case) and the sound source moving from speaker to speaker, nothing functions as described in the instructions.

Barry
    Saab(s)
    2001 9-5 Aero, 2002 9-3 SE
    @Pbuck1Okay, I think I've got it.

Although I can't point you to a specific direction or trouble shooting steps - I can pretty assuredly say it sounds as though you're dealing with your subwoofer and that's not going to crank out what you may typically think you should hear.

I you're not familiar - the sub is going to put out the lower frequencies and the sub is not going to be one of the speakers that the sound test goes through. I'm fairly certain the "test" just gives you an indication if your left /right and front /back speakers are working and gives you a way to trouble shoot that.

As far as trouble shooting the sub - I'm not sure but the subwoofer is where I would point your search and research to. Again - just realize the sub is a different type of speaker, and what you think sounds incorrect or missing may in fact be what you're supposed to be hearing. Usually muffled, deeper sounds, and generally, doesn't produce very clear "voice" - which subsequently are around 2k level.

I hope that helps? I don't know how familiar you are with audio? I also don't want to offend.

Maybe you can give more description what the audio quality and level coming from the sub is. Also tell what type of music, or the actual title you're listening to. I'd ask but I doubt you have a decibal meter? If not - try to describe differences between one of your main speakers and the sub, and even better - a quick food quality audio recoding and upload it to the forum. I think sounds are possible, if nothing else I'm sure a video file is which will include audio.

I'm curious to hear as what the exact issue you're experiencing and what might be a resolution - if one is needed. Sometimes - I think my 9-5's sub doesn't work too well.

Let us know! :-)

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2004 9-5 ARC 2.3T wagon
    I'm trying to turn on or re-set the "Speed-dependent volume", another is the "Loudness ON/OFF". both of which are supposed to be ON by default, but are not. The step-by-step instructions provided earlier in this post do not work.

Barry
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pbuck1 View Post
    I'm trying to turn on or re-set the "Speed-dependent volume", another is the "Loudness ON/OFF". both of which are supposed to be ON by default, but are not. The step-by-step instructions provided earlier in this post do not work.

Seen Below: Page from 9-5 manual for cross comparison between instructions. Without checking - I think there was something different between the two? Don't quote me on that - Check.

So you're trying to access these features /settings to trouble shoot the sub? If for the sub - I honestly don't think either setting will dramatically affect the sub in a negative or positive way to address what you might be experiencing. But not sure what that is.

Granted, "loudness" .... "might" be a factor, but I don't think it will help, and probably not speed-dependent. Yes, the 2nd setting automatically turns up / down the volume slightly, but I don't think enough to affect the sub in a dramatic way either way.

With either setting - it's hard to say what potential problem you have ithout an audio sample, or having a better description, and that's assuming you're having an audio issue with the sub.

Everything is relative per perception and experience. You could actually be experiencing normal audio from the sub but again - without a frame of reference (audio sample) it's hard to say.

I realize the instructions may be straight forward, but just saying they're straight forward, or give only a partial description what you've done wont' help. I personally, but vaguely recall accessing the settings for a DIY, and there being something quirky about the process, and took me a bit to actually get things to "stick."

I would suggest explaining and describing your exact steps with detailed description. I mean.. are you even "saving" a setting? If so, how? Describe the steps you take for just one setting, so people can see if /what /where if you might be going wrong.

People will need to be presented with a clear picture of "your" process, a frame of reference, beginning point so they can know where to possibly jump in and help. And, and please understand, I'm not being critical.

I venture to say that while you go over the instructions and describe what you did - you might discover the solution yourself.

ADDENDUM:
    Read your partial description of the process again, and I recall there's something quirky about weather band button, the radio/band button, and something literal about the instructions.

Sorry - that's all I got. Other than I know it's possible. Maybe with more details of your process can jump in and help. GOOD LUCK!

Saab 9-5 Manual: Audio System, Pg 97
    Name:  Saab95_Man_Pg97.jpg
Views: 6093
Size:  50.6 KB

Saab 9-5 Manual: Audio System, Pg 97

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2004 9-5 ARC 2.3T wagon
    EUREKA ! Using the "WB" button is the correct way to go about turning Off or On those three pre-sets. The manual I have contains this info on pages 101 and 102.

Another instance of RTFM ! (read the f--ing manual).

Barry
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pbuck1 View Post
    EUREKA ! Using the "WB" button is the correct way to go about turning Off or On those three pre-sets. The manual I have contains this info on pages 101 and 102.
    Another instance of RTFM ! (read the f--ing manual).
    - - - - - -

AHH HA!! All my jibber-jabber and all that was needed was the manual I thought I remembered there being a difference of the online directions on here, and what 9-5 manuals say. That's why I mentioned it a couple of posts ago.

So do I get a gold star, pat on the back, punch in the face or something - help pointing your nose in the right direction? LOL!!

So what are you finding with your subwoofer? I mentioned and asked before.... because once in a while - I'm not so sure mine is fully, correctly... functioning sometimes.

BTW - the manual I referred to was from the web. From the PDF file name - I believe from an 01. I have mine in the car if I need to refer to it, but having a "searchable" PDF manual can make for a quick find!

Saab(s)
    2004 Saab 9-5 Aero
    I'm trying to add a pair of subwoofers and an aftermarket amp. I have constant and remote power, but I just need a signal to tap into. Since my '04 Saab 9-5 Aero has to Harmon/Kardon system, do I need to tap into sound coming out of the stock amp in order for it to work? Sorry if it's not clear what I'm looking for but if someone knows I can try to further explain. Thanks

Saab(s)
    2002 9-5 Wagon, 2008 9-5, 1994 900SE 2door (selling soon)
    EDIT: Nevermind, I found the thread by PlaceboSaab and have a friendly Saab specialty mechanic so I might give this a go, assuming whoever installed the aftermarket radio didn't screw up the harness beyond recognition.

I just purchased a 2002 9-5 Wagon and there is an aftermarket radio. I had planned on picking up a stock radio and replacing the aftermarket with it - I prefer the unified look and feel.

However, based on the married/divorced "features", is there a practical way to do this? I had planned to just go to a junk yard a pick one up for $25 but there is no way it would have been divorced.
    Last edited by xam247; 19 February 2016 at 17:34.

Saab(s)
    2004 saab 9-5 turbo
    I just got my car and the radio and blinker lights don't work so I went under the seat the amp is gone now I tried to bypass it and connect the two optical wires with a vacuum hose but it's blinking res does anyone know why also I read there might be on in the trunk so I looked and there is no amp there and my optical wire isn't red ....what can I do

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2004 Saab 9-3 Aero Convert
    Excellent posting. Thanks. Looking for replacement of right rear speaker for HK prestige system on 1999 4D sedan. According to diagram- speaker 266RR. Any suggestions for sources? OK with non-HK speaker if it fits system. Really like the 9 spkr HK system.
    BTW, as the system was pre wide-spread mp3 inputs, is there an AUX input I'm not finding? Or, an elegant way to establish an input for mp3 player, i.e. phone. Thanks. Owned the car for 1 week and the 9-5 is winning me over.