Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sam Carlson
    Saab(s)
    '90 900 LPT with a flat-nose conversion

Going to look at a 99

I'm going to be looking at a 99 tomorrow! I was just googling "SAAB 99 buyers guide" and found this one. My fingers are crossed there's no rust or bondo problems.
    Last edited by nordwulf; 07 March 2012 at 20:57. Reason: Moved to new thread
    Ask me a question about your c900! I promise I either can answer it or know someone who can

Good luck To be honest, bodywork can be fixed, hard to find parts are... harder to deal with. Just depends what your budget is and how much you can get the car for.

Having said that, some of the 99s rust away to nothing...

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    08/280/xwd & 09/210/xwd
    I hope you remembered to take at least a refrigerator magnet with you. A fellow handed me a magnet once when I was looking at a 1964 GTO.

Wondered why he was asking more than "it was worth" then when the magnet wouldn't stick to anything. The rumors in C&D were true, there was an aluminum body GTO that till a few years ago, Pontiac denied existed.

Anyhoo, it is good as a "bondo detector" too. Patience? The best thing in a restoration project and a sense of humor. Enjoying the hunt and driving 70 miles to get that (in my case), hood for an MGB only to pull in a find it was for a TR-3 ... and the old jerk says ... "MG, Triumph, just take it, all that British stuff is the same anyway"

I assume he was alluding to something like the MG Midget and Austin Healy Sprite having the same hoods and he is mad because you aren't going to buy it.

Then you will start spending your time over on SaabRally and SaabWorld will be a memory. If anything, the ownership of an "oldie" will make you appreciate what we both endure and reveled in back in the 1960's. Look at the differences in power. I was wondering if a lot was my imagination or just how time magnifies you illusions but when I was in my doctors office the other day, well I occasionally wondered how when I "took" an occasional 911 back then with my Corvair Spyder (mod was the stock turbo but added carbs .. goodle "dave binneys blow through corvair" ... at about 200 horse power, he (my doctor) had an Road and Track with a retrospective section on the 911 and in 1964 the "RS" rally version was only about 190 horsepower. That was the Monte Carlo car too. We take so much for granted today that stepping from an early "9" to your 900 turbo will feel like doing a shuttle launch.

You can get real neat Hella driving lamps for about $150 as set, stone guards, skid plate and .... get in touch with the true heritage of Saab.

And an Abarth or Stebro exhaust ... gotta' have stuff .. real magnesium wheels too and and and ...
    Semper ubi sububi in caput tuum

Sam Carlson
    Saab(s)
    Well, sorry to disappoint, but no 99 just yet. This one was quite shoddy. You could hear timing chain rattle, the poorly-maintained K-jet and ignition allowed no power from the engine below 2500rpmm and the gearbox was missing 3rd gear synchro completely. I did bring a magnet, but didn't need it: the wheel wells were all visibly fiberglassed in.

The engine did run, and I did crawl under it to find a Kokill gearbox.

Oh well--I'll keep looking. I have some Cibié airplane landing lights I will swap in for the high beams if I do ever get my hands on a decent 99! I did end up on SaabRally quite a bit, researching possible issues with my hypothetical car. But I am back here for the mean time!
    Ask me a question about your c900! I promise I either can answer it or know someone who can

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    08/280/xwd & 09/210/xwd
    Question about the Cibie? What are they from and how would they mount. Back "in the day" our old rally lights were rated by candle power, like the Lucas Flamethrower were about 100,000 cp. These legal 55 w are tame by comparison but the old ones seem more akin to landing lights. I may just boost up the bulbs that I am running in the Hellas.

Religion? If some dip came at you with high beams on the old Lucas were Quartz-Iodine bulbs and took a second to "warm" before they gave off a blinding haze of white and they sure dipped those lights quick.
    Semper ubi sububi in caput tuum

Sam Carlson
    Saab(s)
    These Cibiés fit in the normal 99 headlight location, in place of the sealed beams. They'd be REALLY good on a 2cv! They do not have the Graves Shield, and that is what makes them landing lights, as opposed to driving lights. They fit some weird style of bulb, with an H4 plug, just like the sealed beams, but I have no idea what wattages the bulbs come in.

Chris
    Saab(s)
    1973 99 EMS..1996 9k AERO..1984 c900T
    euro did you ever find a 99? post some pics...remember that the parts hunting will be the thrill of the chase

Sam Carlson
    Saab(s)
    I never found one, sadly! The 99 I was looking for was for my girlfriend. My girlfriend "settled" for a classic 900 (and a 2.1L at that--my mistake for getting a newer one, the fuel pump and lack of rustproofing have delivered problems). That car is being driven daily, and repaired weekly, by me. I'm looking for flat-nose parts to convert it to the older, prettier bumper style.

Chris
    Saab(s)
    1973 99 EMS..1996 9k AERO..1984 c900T
    love the flat noses..i just picked one up a rock solid texas car with a bad head gasket (upper kit was included) for $400 i then put a radiator in his wifes car and he took $200 off...this is my 99 ems i'm working on...check out saabrally.com those guys are big into the 99's

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    That thing sits like a 4x4! Needs bumpers.
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com