Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Saab(s)
    2010 9-3 XWD

Brake pads, rotors and such 2010 9-3 XWD

Why is it so difficult to find the proper sizes of OEM or aftermarket brake pads, rotors and such for our cars? I have found it to be somewhat diffucult to find any info for brakes for these cars on these sites or even in auto parts stores and for the life of me don't see why? So to make this quick and painless, what are you all using for replacement brake pads and rotors? What about OEM brake pads and rotors? With the mess going on with SAAB at the moment, it seems everything is in limbo. I just did my own oil change this past week, and it couldn't be anymore straightforward and easy. I am starting to feel I am going to need new brake pads soon, so ANY informed help about OEM or aftermarket would be greatly appreciated!
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." ----John Lennon

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    The new 9-3's have many different brake options. The best way is to start here...
    GenuineSaab.com

Then compare number 7 and 8 (front and rear discs respectively) codes. You will get codes like "AA" "AB" "AC" "AD", which correlate to 285mm, 302mm, 314mm, and 345mm (that's all the front discs). For rear, you'll get something like "BA" "BB" "BC", which correlate to 278mm, 292mm, and 292mm. I believe the difference in the last 292mm choices (BB and BC) is XWD or not. GenuineSaab list the codes for each disc, so I would check those out first.
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Here is some more information about the different codes and brake pad replacement. http://saabworld.net/f69/saab-9-3-br...5459/#post2907

But the GS site may be a better resource as I don't know if there are any differences in all worldwide markets.

Saab(s)
    2010 9-3 XWD
    Mike and Frank:
    Thanks for the speedy reply and for the info , especially from Mike. I wanted to go out and wash and wax the car today after we got a 70 degree plus day here the other day. That's not happening now, it's freaking cold today! Next time I do go out, I will make sure to put on my glasses and see what the door plate says. Aside from the place you mentioned Mike, are there any other sites or places to buy OEM cheaper than a dealer?
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." ----John Lennon

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    I simply listed Genuine Saab because I noticed they put the codes right in the titles of the parts. If you can verify the codes, www.thesaabsite.com is a good one, and I'm a big fan of eEuroparts.com&reg :: Welcome to eEuroparts.com - Your Home for eEuropean Auto Parts as well. I've also never had a problem with sites like RockAuto Auto Parts either, but I have a much harder time finding the parts I want/need than on the other sites.

The springs I just got were the cheapest on eeuroparts.
    Free SaabWorld Stickers

Dave T.
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-3SE (2013-2015), 2005 9-3 (2005-2013), 1990 900 (1990-2003)
    I bought Brembo discs from eeuroparts and Akebono rear pads from Rock Auto. Rock Auto has a 5% discount code listed under the vendors, I think. It takes a little effort to find out what size you have but once you do, it's not too hard to find these parts. XWD and the Turbo X might be different but might also be not too difficult to find.

Saab(s)
    '11 9-4X, '07 9-5 Combi, '99 Viggen, '88 900t, '87 ASFT, '85 SPG, '72 96
    Centric brake's website claims that the 2010 9-3x is a base model only, and has 285mm front and 278mm rears.

Saab(s)
    2010 9-3 XWD
    OK guys according to the info I got here on the site and looking over my door plate and the codes, my front disc's are 314mm and are an "AC". My rears are 292mm and are a "BC". So with this said, who have you guys used on a regular for parts? I saw some suggestions but some sites have rears only and others only have front's. What type pads are on my car now? I see they have ceramic, semi mettalic and organic. Why so many choices? My car doesn't squeak so I might stay with OEM once I find out what's on there. Thanks again for everyones help and suggestions. BTW, just did my own oil change on Wednesday, can't get over how easy and straight forward it was. Autozone had a special for 5 quarts of Mobil 1 0W40 with a Mobil 1 oil filter for $33.00! The kid must have liked me because he also threw in a STP air filter for my XWD for another $5.00! Unfortunately, I checked my current air filter and it was super clean so I'll keep the new one for future use. I had an extra quart of 0W40 in my garage that I bought when I had my last service. (which was free from SAAB and my dealer ) So if any of you have Autozone in your area I would suggest checking them out.

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    I'm not sure about the rest, but ceramic typically last a bit longer, and don't produce brake dust (or very small amount). They are also a bit louder, and don't work as well when cold, but typically work better when warm. Being a poor college student, I always try to get the cheapest brand that will last and stop the car in a reasonable distance. But that's just me.
    Free SaabWorld Stickers

Saab(s)
    2010 9-3 XWD
    Bumping this thread up because I STILL get conflicting model numbers and brake pad issues. Need some help here from like minded XWD owners.
    Last edited by Yarvis; 10 May 2013 at 23:10.