Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -

Red face 1995 9000 Repairs and Catching Up - Getting Re-aquinted

So today I drove my 95' 9000 "CS" to work - she's been waiting for some attention for over two years. I stopped using it as my DD before that - but I really didn't start to neglect her til about 2 years ago. Needless to say - as I always tell my customers, do not let things add up - fix them as they break, I ignored my own advice and this car has gotten a little away from me and my upkeep.
    For the past two years I've had the 9000 in "loaner" status with my family - giving it out as I had their cars in for repairs. My father, mother and my wife all have driven this car more over the last 3 years than I have! A true SIN on my part.

The list that keeps growing;
    • Exhaust - custom 3" from 6 years ago - rotted off at muffler, crumbling
    • Power Steering leaking - low on fluid
    • Washer Bottle tank cracked and leaking
    • Serpentine Belt split in 1/2
    • Turn Signal Bulbs
    • Reverse Bulb
    • Central Locking Shorting out
    • Blower Fan & Fan Speed Controller Bad
    • Hazard Relay Bad
    • Driver's Door Courtesy Light broken
    • Driver's Seat cable broken
    • Needs Aero Bumper Installed
    • Needs Two Fog Lights Replaced
    • General Anti-Rusting Measures needed/due
    • Repair Aero Back Seat
    • Install Aero Back Seat
    • Locate Aero Front Seats (Black)
    • Gut remains of A/C system
    • Go HOLSET on it's Borg Warner Ass
    • Go Stage 5 (@ Stage 4 now)
    • Blow Trans Up - Perform 5 Speed Swap

Today!
    I removed the rusted old custom 3" exhaust I had on it for the last 50,000 miles and about 6 years... should have had it made in stainless (was younger and poorer then)
    Temp fitted my used current generation JT 3" Exhaust system - don't like it's fit or the low sound levels.
    I plan to take my old system to an exhaust shop and have them bend me a new one out of stainless - then sell this silly JT system which is too quiet for my needs.
    Waiting for my replacement short belt to come in to replace the belt which is ready to snap.
    Next I have Slotted/Drilled rotors to install - perhaps order some green stuff brake pads first. Anyone got street/track performance pad suggestions for a 95' 9000?

Some pictures MAY follow later. For now enjoy my baby @ Carlisle 2010 (when it was last driven with less things broken)
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Saab(s)
    2011 9-3 Aero XWD Performance by Hirsch
    Kind of makes me miss my '95 CSE... Had the same wheels, lights, racks etc.
    2011 Saab 9-3 Aero XWD Performance by Hirsch "Wolffe"

Jeffrey
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    I gotta flush my power steering today @ lunch - I topped it off with the wrong shit and it's driving me nuts. I gotta flush it anyway - it's likely the original fluid anyways lol

As for Brad - you ought to find another one I can't enjoy driving any other car as much as I enjoy a 9000 (stock or tuned). They are the best ballanced all around car I've ever owned. I personally find them to be the best Saab made. Size, Performance, Comfort, Ride, Options, Visibility - it's all great. Driving a lot of newer cars lack one or more of those usually. Plus the fact that it's got SAAB safety is a major plus. Don't have to worry if something bad happens.
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Saab(s)
    2011 9-3 Aero XWD Performance by Hirsch
    That reminds me that I need to get caught up on my maintenance on the 9-5... Is it a common trend that we mechanics spend so much time fixing everyone else's cars, that we neglect our own?
    2011 Saab 9-3 Aero XWD Performance by Hirsch "Wolffe"

Jeffrey
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Lauzze View Post
    Is it a common trend that we mechanics spend so much time fixing everyone else's cars, that we neglect our own?
    YES! It's worse when you own 7 cars....

Jeffrey
    Saab(s)
    Before leaving the Saab dealer I quickly made the 9000 drivable again;
    Replaced the rotted custom 3" exhaust I had on it - saved it for template to possibly have a new system made for it as I now have a super quiet JT system on it.
    Replaced the rotted and split Serp belt and one bad idler pulley
    Changed the oil
    Found out my reverse bulb isn't whats bad - no idea yet why the reverse light is not working
    Installed some new wipers

Started some 9K fixing on the 95' today - going to spend some time each day this week doing some fixing to it to.
    Today I came across a set of 4 Continental ContiSportContacts in slightly better shape then the worthless no-seasons I had on it for the past few years.
    Upgraded from 215/55/16 to a 225/50/16 tire in this process. Mounted and Ballanced all 4 up - slight tire noise at SLOW speeds, but so far they have much more dry traction then the previous tires. The extra track should be interesting to see if it's noticed in turns. I haven't given them a full test as the new JT exhaust needs some fitting corrections made this week. It's rubbing on my rear lower control arm now. lol

This week I plan to:
    Replace the passenger mirror
    Replace my broken cruise/highbeam stalk
    Fix the fitment of the JT 3" Exhaust
    Replace the upper Motor mount
    Look into the central locking issue
    Alignment - sure why not
    Price out some A/C parts to get the ac working again - new aftermarket compressor, codensor - drier.
    Figure out the reverse light failure

So that's it in a nut shell - also with the JT system no cat 2 mufflers - the car seems to make 14PSI of boost in 65* weather - that's a SOLID 3PSI gain over my last 3" custom system with the same Stage4 Tune.

Denver, CO (the only thing higher then the city is the people who live here)
    Saab(s)
    1995 Saab 9000 CSE Autoboxed
    I was thinking of getting a JT exhaust for my car. My car is going in for quite a bit of stuff next week. I'm pretty excited. What rack do you have on your 9k?