Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan

1st gear lack of power and slight whistling from engine- 57 plate 9-5 1.9 TiD

We bought the car a couple of weeks ago and had a new battery fitted because the other was on its way out. However, the other day I noticed a hissing noise from the engine, which I thought was the belt at first. However, when revving the car, the noise stayed so I got onto the Saab forums. It could apparently be the idle air control valve which needs cleaning. Other forums have suggested that this can cause the engine to shake when idling and cause a lack of power when setting off; both of which have occurred. Just wanted some advice from others please if this is what needs checking out, because apparently the valve should be cleaned every 30,000 miles and its done 57,000 at the moment.Thanks

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Sorry for the lack of replies. I am guessing we don't have too many members who have experience with the diesel engines in the 9-5. Did you find out more about the problem?

Saab Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Pcroft View Post
    We bought the car a couple of weeks ago and had a new battery fitted because the other was on its way out. However, the other day I noticed a hissing noise from the engine, which I thought was the belt at first. However, when revving the car, the noise stayed so I got onto the Saab forums. It could apparently be the idle air control valve which needs cleaning. Other forums have suggested that this can cause the engine to shake when idling and cause a lack of power when setting off; both of which have occurred. Just wanted some advice from others please if this is what needs checking out, because apparently the valve should be cleaned every 30,000 miles and its done 57,000 at the moment.Thanks
    Hi- yes I did find out the problem. It was the EGR (Exhaust Gas Remissions) valve which was causing the problem. They are prone to going on any car with the Z19 DTH 150 bhp engine (Vauxhall, Saab, Chevrolet, Fiat, Alfa Romeo, Chrysler). It is advised that they are cleaned every 12,000 miles and replaced when the car approaches 60,000 miles, as they get clogged up with soot. Ours was replaced under warranty, but the part can be found for around £90 on ebay. The problems to look for are poor idling (it feels like a tug boat ticking over), and a big lack of power when setting off in 1st gear before the engine kicks in above 2,000 rpm, but smoke will not emit from the exhaust. The car is now running fine. We knew it wasn't much because it has full service history and has been mechanically maintained.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Great, thanks for the update and sharing the info with others.

What's the model year for a 57 plate? Many outside the UK are not familiar with the UK plate designation.

Saab Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Wulfers View Post
    Great, thanks for the update and sharing the info with others.

What's the model year for a 57 plate? Many outside the UK are not familiar with the UK plate designation.

A 57 plate is the 2007 model year in the UK.