Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 73 of 75 FirstFirst ... 23637172737475 LastLast
    Dave T.
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-3SE (2013-2015), 2005 9-3 (2005-2013), 1990 900 (1990-2003)
    Oh my! I don't recognize the photo but it looks like a map of Africa. Instead of seeing that, I saw the Uniroyal Tire (large tire) recently, which doesn't compare to the above photo.

Is spoken Afrikaans understandable to the Dutch speaker?

I believe Africa is home to one of only 2 two seater Messerschmitt Me 262 jet fighters. Single seat Me 262's are rare but more common than the two seat trainer and night fighter. I think it used to be at an air force museum near Cape Town but was moved to near Pretoria.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    Is spoken Afrikaans understandable to the Dutch speaker?
    I can understand Afrikaans (50-75%) as a Dutch speaker but the written words is easier to understand than spoken. I don't know if Afrikaans speakers understand Dutch but I think it will be the same. Interesting to listen to as the grammar is different as well.

Dave T.
    Saab(s)
    Answer: Cape Agulhas, South Africa. Monument marks the southern tip of Africa. I thought it was Africa because I wouldn't expect a map of Africa in South America or Europe.

I heard that the water emergency around Cape Town is over but they still have a shortage. At least that is what one woman from Cape Town said when she was manning a booth at an exhibition.

Next: Name:  Ciudadela2_melilla_ccaa.jpg_1167671539.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  5.1 KB

Clue: Africa. Official language is not Arabic

Regrets: Sorry, I tried uploading 4 photos, each too large to upload.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    It should automatically resize an uploaded pictures so not sure what's going wrong.

As for the current picture, that's pretty small to see much detail unfortunately.

Dave T.
    Saab(s)
    I tried again for several photos. Remote file is too large.

???

The answer is Melilla, Spain, located in North Africa.

Perhaps a short break in this game and nordwulf might write a trip report of Africa? I'm sure it would be very interesting. Perhaps include travel information, such as how the airport was, transit (bus or rental car?), any hotel comments, sights seen, etc.

Dave T.
    Saab(s)
    This game has been inactive for a year. I must say that it greatly improved my ability to analyze photos for the location.

I recently watched a series on TV that was filmed in London. Since it was streaming, not broadcast, I was able to "rewind" to see a scene again. With just a picture of a building in presumably central London, I was able to locate the exact buildings many times. On occasion, there were hints, like a street sign or a sign of a business but sometimes there was not.

There are just about two buildings left that I cannot yet identify. Anyone interested?

Here's an example that I solved. This building was difficult to find but eventually I found it.
    Name:  fleet house clerkenwell rd london.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  72.6 KB Fleet House, Clerkenwell Road, London, EC4

This one, I'm still looking...
    Name:  20210312_162741.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  65.7 KB
    Hints: It is almost certainly in London. Likely, it is in Notting Hill or Holland Park. Much of the filming was also in the South Bank but that area does not have this type of architecture. I am not completely sure, but I think this is Regency architecture but could be Georgian architectural style.

Notice that it's a detached house, which is unusual in London. The left is not touching another building but the right side might be. If one uses Google Maps at a detailed enough scale, one can see the outlines of houses and can see which ones are detached.

The TV show also showed the interior and the back had a small rectangular swimming pool. However, often the film industry uses different buildings for the exterior and interior so the swimming pool might be a false clue.

Note that in London, many townhouses have black iron railings in front but this one does not. Note that the front door steps have a white handrail that connects with the house.

Also note the Chrysler 300 in the photo but that is British spec with amber rear turn signals and British number plates (license plates) if it is the same Chrysler that appeared in another episode.

Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    2012, 95 Aero

Where??

Good morning Dave, I am thinking about playing but that 2nd picture (and clue) still don't narrow it down for me.
    If they can use the outside for one shot and the inside implying one and the same - what is the chance the house is NOT in London?
    Do you have a link or title to the show to see if Inspector Clouseau can find it?
    Thanks and nice to break free from lock-down.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    This game has been inactive for a year. I must say that it greatly improved my ability to analyze photos for the location.

I recently watched a series on TV that was filmed in London. Since it was streaming, not broadcast, I was able to "rewind" to see a scene again. With just a picture of a building in presumably central London, I was able to locate the exact buildings many times. On occasion, there were hints, like a street sign or a sign of a business but sometimes there was not.

There are just about two buildings left that I cannot yet identify. Anyone interested?

Here's an example that I solved. This building was difficult to find but eventually I found it.
    Name:  fleet house clerkenwell rd london.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  72.6 KB Fleet House, Clerkenwell Road, London, EC4

This one, I'm still looking...
    Name:  20210312_162741.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  65.7 KB
    Hints: It is almost certainly in London. Likely, it is in Notting Hill or Holland Park. Much of the filming was also in the South Bank but that area does not have this type of architecture. I am not completely sure, but I think this is Regency architecture but could be Georgian architectural style.

Notice that it's a detached house, which is unusual in London. The left is not touching another building but the right side might be. If one uses Google Maps at a detailed enough scale, one can see the outlines of houses and can see which ones are detached.

The TV show also showed the interior and the back had a small rectangular swimming pool. However, often the film industry uses different buildings for the exterior and interior so the swimming pool might be a false clue.

Note that in London, many townhouses have black iron railings in front but this one does not. Note that the front door steps have a white handrail that connects with the house.

Also note the Chrysler 300 in the photo but that is British spec with amber rear turn signals and British number plates (license plates) if it is the same Chrysler that appeared in another episode.

Dave T.
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gepe View Post
    Good morning Dave, I am thinking about playing but that 2nd picture (and clue) still don't narrow it down for me.
    If they can use the outside for one shot and the inside implying one and the same - what is the chance the house is NOT in London?
    Do you have a link or title to the show to see if Inspector Clouseau can find it?
    Thanks and nice to break free from lock-down.
    Inspector Clouseau, the series is "Secret Diary of a Call Girl". In the photo with the house, the woman and the man are friends. They are playing "spoilt little rich girl" where the see a house that is for sale. They run out and take a final look at the house (shown) asking each other how can somehow afford to buy a house in London, for which neither has the answer. The truth of the matter is many house are in the low millions! No such thing as a £2 million house in central London. All are much, much more expensive.

Here's another photo that I solved. I am not modest....I am proud of myself for finding this house!
    Name:  IMG_20210311_161332_731.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  54.3 KB
    Name:  20210315_162621.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  82.1 KB
    This house north of 21 Portland Road, about 200 ft north of Holland Park Avenue (A402) and Portland Road. Google Street View has a gap but if on looks north from 21 Portland Road, one will see this house in the TV photo. Since this scene was right before the house scene and house that I'm looking for and because there's good reason for a director to choose a nearby location to film a short scene, my guess is the house I'm looking for is nearby.

I've also looked at the photo of the house I'm looking for again. On second thought, the house is possibly not detached. The next house on the left may be touching the house despite the appearance of the picket fence door.

1. no black railings in front
    2. see sash windows. The windows are almost flush with the front surface of the house.
    3. no significant terraced entrance as in common in London (porch with pillars).

Dave T.
    Saab(s)
    Thanks to Google Maps and Google Street View, I've been about to find more than 30 locations of filming. This search wouldn't have been possible before the internet. The above house is the major one that I cannot locate. Any Saabworld help? I am eventually planning to search the streets of Holland Park, Kensington, Chelsea, and Notting Hill for this house. Each of these places are not that big so searching every street is possible.

Many townhouses in London are of the same style within the same street. I suspect they were built at the same time. Many of them are brown brick, which can be automatically excluded. Many have terraced entrances (roof over the front door) so they can be excluded. Exclude bay windows sticking out of the building and the black railings and most houses are excluded. Also many houses have only one window on the ground floor but this one has two windows (with smaller sash windows). My guess is that one the house is located, it will be fairly certain. I don't think I will see two identical houses.

Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    2012, 95 Aero
    Hi, for some strange reason your message has been marked 'junk' but now rescued - please excuse the delay. Will have a look later today.