Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X

Jalopnik: Volvo is the new Saab

Jalopnik usually has some good content but they probably haven't driven a Saab lately.

The weird thing with Saabs was that they were essentially sensible family cars. Boring, practical family cars with small engines.
    Small but powerful engines. I drove an XC90 once and, while it was a nice crossover, it was very boring to drive. Steering and chassis are so much better in any Saab, including the 9-4X.

Volvo seems the be getting much better with edgy designs but calling Saabs boring family cars is missing the point.

See for yourself: Volvo Is the New Saab

So is Volvo getting better with designs and performance? Could you see yourself in a Volvo?

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    The only Volvo I might call Saab-ish is the C30. Aireeca from FoundOurOwnRoad and SaabLink has one, and seems to like it. It doesn't seem to have the personality of a Saab, but sure does look fun to drive.
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0T SportCombi "Mattie"; On SAABatical: 1993 9000 CSE 2.3T "Matilda"
    If SAAB doesn't find a new owner and the brand disappears forever (and the parts supply chain is cut, making it difficult & expensive to own another Saab), I may consider a Volvo. But which one, that'll be the tough question, as I too don't really see one that suits me, other than perhaps an early '00s S60 T5.
    "Nulla tenaci invia est via"
    SAAB CLUB of WESTERN CANADA (SCWC)

Hear my Saab a comin' nuclear944's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    Past: 1989 SPG & 1989 900 N/A Sedan
    Someone must be on drugs. I've driven many cars, Including a porsche 944, and I was always thoroughly satisfied with my c900's capable handling and performance. There was nothing "conventional" or "family" about it. It's not even that practical. For me, it was a proper pocket rocket. The last thing I ever was when driving that car is bored; it's the only car that drove just right.

I guess after GM ownership the brand was a little biased towards everyday practicality and conventionality, but even when they based their cars on GM platforms, they changed a lot of things.

Renato Piereck
    Spreading the Saab virus rpiereck's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    '00 9-5 Aero SC, 87 900i 8v
    Jalopnik is totally missing the point of what is a Saab and what do Saab owners look for in a car. While a Volvo is a nice car it has a very different design from Saab. I think Saab owners are more likely to buy an Audi than a Volvo.

Bruno
    Saab(s)
    9-5 ARC Wagon 2002 2 t auto engine B205E
    Anyway Volvo has announced willing to stop selling petrol and diesel engines in 2019 so nothing related with SAABS for long time