Saab(s)
    2003 9-5 Linear Wagon
    Thumbs Up:   0
    Kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya
    Kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya
    Kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya
    Oh Lord, kumbaya

Thanks to Peter, Paul, & Mary...

Only because I didn't see it anywhere in the this thread so far...

0 Not allowed!

Renato Piereck
    Spreading the Saab virus rpiereck's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    '00 9-5 Aero SC, 87 900i 8v
    Thumbs Up:   2
    Here it is for me. I was born in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil in 1974. That makes me 37 right now (I think, I stopped caring after 30). I literally was born 1/4 mile from the beach, and spent good part of my childhood in the sand in Rio. Growing up in Rio in the 80s was cool, my family while not rich was upper middle class and we lived in the nice part of town. My grandpa, who was a civil engineer, loved all things mechanical, and I was the grandson who followed in his footsteps. Grandpa would take me to the airport to watch airplanes take off, and to classic car shows where he would drool at old Fords, Lincolns and Volkswagens.

My family in Brazil used to be a VW family back in the air cooled days, but for some reason they all switched to Fiats in the 80s. I remember vividly how the parking lot in our weekend home in the mountains north of Rio would have six or seven Fiats on a summer weekend. I learned to drive at fourteen on my mom's 1985 Fiat 147S, a bare bones car with power nothing and vinyl seats. At least it had five speed. I loved Fiats and really wanted to own nothing but Italian four bangers when I grew up.

In 1993 I moved to the USA to go live with my dad (my parents divorced when I was 2, so until I was 19 I lived with my mom). Dad had moved to Miami in 1990 because his then wife had been accepted to a PhD program at the University of Miami. They divorced in 1992 and my dad got a Green Card, so there he stayed. I lived in Miami from 1993 to 1998, where my love of Fiats waned. I owned a Fiat Bertone X1/9 for a while but that while being a blast to drive had many problems and Fiat parts were hard to find in the US. The cars I owned the longest in Miami were a VW Scirocco 16v that was race prepped and too fast for a 20 year old, and a 1977 Mercedes Benz 300D that was dead reliable and which cost me only $700.

In 1998 I joined the US Army out of sheer boredom. All my friends had gone to colleges out of state, my girlfriend who was going to the University of Florida up north broke up with me, and I was incredibly bored with Miami Dade Community College. My grandpa had been in the Brazilian Army back in the 1930s and I had heard his old army stories many times. In 10 June 1998 I left for US Army basic training. My first duty station was Fort Irwin, California, in the Mojave Desert. I enjoyed my four years in California, as I was in a very small unit where our unofficial motto was "work hard, party harder". That we did. I was supposed to get out of the Army in 2002 and had already been interviewed for a job with Lockheed Martin in August 2001, and I was going to start at $23 an hour in June 2002. Then 9/11 happened, and the Army instituted a "stop loss", which meant I could not leave the Army and go work for Lockheed in 2002. They had a big bonus for Korea with four months retrain in Virginia, so I did that.

From 2002 to 2008 I stayed in Korea. Korea tours are normally one year long, but I was given the opportunity to extend there, and with the extension came $400 in tax free money for each month I extended. Who would not pass up $400 in tax free money for every month? I extended three times. I also loved Korea, it's an old country that is completely different from anything western, I learned the language, learned their customs, and I would spend lots of my weekends off post exploring the country. I fell in love with Korean food. I also met my wife there and after one year of dating we got married. This guaranteed that I would have someone to make me tasty Korean food when I left the country

2008 was a tumultuous year for me, as I actually got out of the Army, but thanks to the poor economy there were no jobs to be had. I had gotten my FAA A&P license, which allows me to work as a civilian aircraft mechanic, but American Airlines and Delta Airlines had fired over 10,000 A&P mechanics in May 2008 so we were a dime a dozen. I was out of the Army for a few months, moved from California to Utah in search of an elusive job that did not exist, and after burning through savings that took me five years to make in a few months I was facing an empty bank account, so I came back into the Army.

That took me to Alaska, where I lived from 2008 to 2011. I am glad I went to Alaska and I really miss it. It's a place like no other in America. We enjoyed the outdoors, enjoyed the winter, enjoyed the summer. We had a nice quiet home in a birch forest, had wildlife right outside our porch, and did plenty of hiking, fishing, snow-machining, etc.

2011 was another change of station for me and I was offered Texas, New York (upstate) and Germany. I took Germany and here am I now. My wife is currently pregnant with our first child, so by the end of July we will have a son. Thanks to that, however, I will miss the IntSaab in Spa this year, but my son is more important than my Cars, so I will gladly bypass a SAAB event for my first child

It was in Alaska that I bought my first SAAB. I had always liked SAABs, but had never really though of buying one. I rememeber when I lived in Miami I had a girlfriend whose father had a 1983 900 Turbo in red with black leather interior, and that car was amazing to me, I loved the long hood, the wrap around windshield, the rorty engine. In 2010, while living in Alaska, I was looking for a daily drive, and was looking to spend no more than $6000 on a car. One ad on Craigslist caught my eye, it advertised a 1995 SAAB 900 Turbo, red with black leather, 32,000 miles for $5500. I thought it was a typo and the owner meant 132,000 miles, but I called anyway. He said no, the car indeed had 32,000 miles, and was nearly mint. I test drove it, loved it and bought it. I actually had never heard of an NG900 and I was expecting the C900 when I went to see the car. Not the same, but beautiful car regardless. It was my first SAAB, and it's been mine ever since. As most of you know I drove that car across the US, from Alaska to Alabama, and then had the car shipped to Germany. That NG900 is here with me in Germany, with 72,000 miles but still in great shape.

I recently bought my second SAAB, a proper C900, which although is an 8 valve, non-turbo car, a Belgian 1987 900i, is still a blast to drive and now my baby. The NG900 must feel some jealousy as I am now babying another SAAB, but I hope it understands...

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by rpiereck; 20 May 2012 at 16:13.
    Now: '00 Saab 9-5 Aero Combi - '89 Peugeot 205 CTI - '91 Peugeot 309 GTI
    Gone: '87 Saab 900i - '95 Saab 900 SE Turbo