Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab(s)
    '92 900T convertible, '06 9-3

(accidentally?) adjustable steering wheel

I had to store my '92 convertible for a year while I was out of the country, during which it wasn't driven and racked up about $2000 in rust and other various problems. Now that I'm back, I'm loving driving it, but I noticed that I can now lift up/wiggle the steering wheel about a half inch. I don't remember being able to do this before, and since the wheel isn't adjustable, I'm wondering if something has loosened that I need to be concerned about. Thanks in advance!

Andy Graham
    modérateur
    Saab(s)
    '88 vert, '88 Aero
    The steering column is collapsible and has a telecopic section. Maybe something in there has loosened.

There's also a u-clamp at the bottom of the column (accessible in the engine compartment) which may have loosened.

First thing I would do is remove the little plastic shroud from the top of the column, right under the steering wheel, and have a look in there with a torch.

Paul A
    Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    T16 '93 Ruby - T16 '94 Vert Ruby
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialTool View Post

First thing I would do is remove the little plastic shroud from the top of the column, right under the steering wheel, and have a look in there with a torch.
    Don't think that will tell you much. Nothing's accessible there. My money is on the U-clamp in the engine compartment, just where the shaft connects to the steering rack.

Andy Graham
    modérateur
    Saab(s)
    '88 vert, '88 Aero
    Ta peva, I must admit I haven't had a dash apart for many years (thank god!) so was winging it there.

But I fear our OP has left in search of greener pastures.

Saab(s)
    '92 900T convertible, '06 9-3
    Greener pastures... hardly Car's just been in the shop. As much as I love it, I am NOT the person to take the dash apart. Sounded like there were bearings inside the steering column that were very, very worn down. The guy a the dealership said they could be replaced, but that the hours the job would take made it not worth it. Instead, I found an entire steering assembly used that was in much better shape, and we popped that it in less time. Feels great now, but it messed with my alignment which I just had done. Thanks for the advice, though! I just didn't want the thing to fall apart in my lap while I was on the highway.

Sam Carlson
    Saab(s)
    '90 900 LPT with a flat-nose conversion
    Quote Originally Posted by classicred900 View Post
    ...Feels great now, but it messed with my alignment which I just had done...
    In what way did it screw up your alignment?

If it's just steering wheel centering, this is an easy fix. Just pull off the wheel and re-align it. It's a bit harder with your car, which (unless you changed the column to a non-airbag one) has airbags, but the procedure's more or less the same. Just remove things in the steering wheel (airbag likely in the way, so you should disconnect the battery cable, wait 20 minutes, then disconnect the bag itself at the orange two-pin connector) until you get to the nut holding the wheel on, then loosen the nut, pull on the wheel to pop it off, turn, and pop it back on. Usually it's a good idea to pop the wheel off while the nut's still on a bit, so that you don't smack yourself in the face when it lets go.
    Ask me a question about your c900! I promise I either can answer it or know someone who can

Paul A
    Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    T16 '93 Ruby - T16 '94 Vert Ruby
    As Sam says it may be just the steering wheel out, or you may be a couple of splines out at the bottom of the shaft where it connects to the rack. Either way you'll probably solve it by pulling the wheel and putting it on straight. When it is on and the front wheels are straight ahead, you should have equal number of turns from straight ahead to lock to lock. If not the steering rack may be biased to one side. In which case you will have to adjust the track rods until you have equal turns.