Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X

Italy - 26-27 May 2012 - Passione Saab

Renato Piereck
    Spreading the Saab virus rpiereck's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    '00 9-5 Aero SC, 87 900i 8v
    Only a 5.5 hour drive from home... too bad I won't be here! If this was in early May I'd be there!

Frank
    Saab(s)
    That's like from northern Michigan to Chicago so no distance at all. The Stelvio Pass is between Germany and Varese. Great excuse for a detour.

Renato Piereck
    Saab(s)
    Yes, and I can now do that on a Classic: http://saabworld.net/f5/possible-cla...728/#post41908

Frank
    Saab(s)
    Passione Saab will take place this weekend. It starts on Saturday afternoon with a meeting at Volandia, Park and Museum of Flight at Malpensa airport near Milano. In the evening, the group will go to Hotel Montelago on the shores of Lago di Comabbio where there will be dinner in the evening.

Sunday morning will provide an opportunity to make a tour around the lakes in the area. The event will be concluded with lunch in the afternoon.

Saab Club Italia provided some pictures about a showcase of Saabs at the shopping center in Varese from May 14 -20. Several vintage Saabs were on display to bring attention to the event. And prepare the locals for the invasion of many fine Swedish automobiles and their enthusiastic owners, family and friends!

The event had quite a bit of international exposure already in the media and Saab enthusiast sites around the world. Congratulations on the 20th anniversary for Saab Club Italia which will be celebrated at this event.

Name:  belforte passione Saab 1.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  57.2 KB

Name:  belforte passione Saab 3.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  56.4 KB

Name:  belforte passione Saab 2.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  68.3 KB

Renato Piereck
    Saab(s)
    I wanted to go but my commander wouldn't give me the clearance to go there, saying I had to request it two weeks in advance. I could go and he'd never know, but if I get a ticket or in an accident on the way there or back my career is over. Sometimes being in the Army sucks. Oh well, this event is so close yet so far.
    Now: '00 Saab 9-5 Aero Combi - '89 Peugeot 205 CTI - '91 Peugeot 309 GTI
    Gone: '87 Saab 900i - '95 Saab 900 SE Turbo

Frank
    Saab(s)
    Clearance? Do you mean like vacation days? Or do you have to be available at any time? I have no idea how things like that work in the Army.

Renato Piereck
    Saab(s)
    In the Army we accrue 2.5 days of vacation (leave) a month. That's 30 days a year. On any given day, if I am not working (off-duty) I can go anywhere within 250 miles of my base without asking for permission, unless specifically told otherwise. If I want to go outside the 250-mile circle I need to request what we call a mileage pass, they're not too hard to get, just a matter of doing filling out a form for a risk assessment for the trip. If I want from one to four days off work beyond my usual days off I can request what we call a "pass". A pass is what we call "non-chargeable leave" , which means that none of your accrued leave gets taken away when you are on pass. Once the pass is granted you have the days off that are specified in your pass. Four day passes are coveted and given to soldiers for good performance, etc; they are usually taken during a weekend so you get either Thursday to Sunday, Friday to Monday, or Saturday to Tuesday off. Passes are usually given just for local destinations, rarely for non-local destinations. If you want to either take more than four days off or if you want to go outside your local area you need to take what we call leave, which is actually "chargeable leave". So if you have accumulated 45 days of leave you can request to take up to 45 days leave. Leave can be taken almost anywhere (they won't approve it for a few places like Cuba, Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, etc).

What I had to request to go to Italy would have been a four day pass. This weekend being Memorial Day most people in the Army get four days off anyway (unless you are on duty). My unit is giving us Friday to Monday off, but since I didn't get a country briefing to go to Italy I can't go there. Due to security measures Italy is an "amber' country, which means I need to get permission from my Battalion commander to go there. Getting the permission is not hard, just takes more time because I need to go to the S-2 section (military intelligence) get a country briefing, which tells me what are the local treats, then get a signature from the company commander and one from the battalion commander. All that takes time, but it's not impossible.

Most European countries are "green", which means I only need permission from my company commander to go there and I don't need a country briefing from the military intelligence folks. Swiss, Austria, Poland, Holland, etc are green. Italy, France, UK, and a few others are amber. Sometimes the reason the country is amber has nothing to do with terrorism but could be due to crimes committed against American citizens, or too much petty crime, etc, or security concerns due to some unsavory areas (the banlieus of Paris for example). I think Italy is amber due to its arcane justice system that is biased against Americans and petty crime. Who knows.

All this stuff is very confusing to civilians, I know. It takes you a long time to learn how the whole Army works, it's a complete different culture, and people who have been in the Army for a long time like me truly get institutionalized, and I am sure that even after I retire I'll be hanging around Army bases, and get either a government job or a military contractor job.
    Now: '00 Saab 9-5 Aero Combi - '89 Peugeot 205 CTI - '91 Peugeot 309 GTI
    Gone: '87 Saab 900i - '95 Saab 900 SE Turbo