Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Paul K.
    Saab(s)
    1990 Saab 900 Turbo Convertible
    Is this idea still on the table? I'd be honored to drive a leg in the southwest. I have a buddy who is a mechanic (he'd drive and ride shotgun), and we have contacts all over the southwest USA. I think it would be a great idea to shun-pike the entire trip - avoiding interstates like the plague. Not that there's anything wrong with them, but the US is so much more interesting on the secondary highways. As for insurance, you can "lend" your car to licensed drivers. I'd probably suggest having more insurance than minimum (I'd say 100-300 for starters) just to cover any eventuality. I'd also like to think that those who participate would want to recognize that they are part of something bigger - part of something special - and that they ought to stay off their damn cell phones while piloting Threepwood. There's also no reason to think that people couldn't make "improvements" while she's on the road. My specialty is stereo - if she showed up with a poor one or one that was non-functioning, that would be corrected post-haste.

I think it's a grand plan for a grand send off - I'll contribute any way I can.

Masterfully Slow Learner SPGreg's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    Three SPGs
    This is ambitious! I have lots of questions.

This idea would take an incredible amount of coordination to implement. Remember 'Hands Across America'? Different scenario obviously but similar with regard to planning. Do you have the time for this?! How many drivers would be required? Do you have a proposed route?

Also, perhaps most importantly, how would you define success? To me the definition would relate, in part, to the the number of drivers I could get - the more I could get, the more successful the initiative would be (and the more work would be involved). But this metric might not be important to you. Maybe you just want to get the car around the country and the number of drivers doesn't matter. Fewer drivers would reduce the amount of coordination involved but success would depend upon you finding folks with huge amounts of freedom & incredibly flexible schedules to align with one another, a daunting-challenge.

Sorry, I'm running out of time & need to get offline and go to an appointment. But if it were me, I would consider contacting Google for sponsorship (crazy as that may sound). They've got their Google Earth folks out on the road all the time across America (or so I assume): in theory, a network of drivers throughout the US on a fixed, known schedule filming their routes. Persuade them to use Theepwood for their purposes. Mount all the equipment onto Theepwood & circle America. You'll just need to figure out what's in it for them. An angle.

Google folks strike me as forward-thinking. Maybe your angle with them could come from driving an electric car? I would consider requesting Google's financial assistance to convert Theepwood to electric (crazy as that sounds!). This could, in turn, engage NEVS, the new owners of Saab, whom I'm sure would be interested in your project since it would promote the notion of using an electrically-powered Saab. Perhaps Google and NEVS could co-sponsor the project. Wouldn't that be interesting!

That's all I have time to write at the moment (and perhaps I've had too much caffeine this morning!! Or maybe not enough?!!).

If you're going to think big, THINK BIG!

Paul K.
    Saab(s)
    I guess it would be up to Threepwood's owner to define success. I'd be fine just being a part of it. You can drive from Long Island to Phoenix, AZ in 5 days with little kids. I'm not sure if the idea is have a rushed trip or to do a thorough tour of the nation. I guess you could do a little of both. Meet up points could be at airports or bus stations, I suppose. Stickers showing where Threepwood has been could cover the body of the car - similar to what you might do with a steamer trunk.

I don't want to be argumentative but, IMHO, I'd avoid corporate sponsorship. Things that have "sponsorship" have a tendency to go sideways and lose the real meaning of the original intent. I think with the right people involved, we wouldn't NEED sponsorship (sponsorship brings in money and headaches); I think this car could do it with just your average "Joe-SAAB-owners" doing what they love - driving and taking care of cars. I'd also be philosophically opposed to driving an "electric" SAAB (again, just MHO). I think the reliability and longevity of the SAAB motor and the drivetrain in said car speaks for itself. Even Mother Jones (not exactly a stalwart of reactionary thought) believes cars and the environment in which they exist are best served when the cars are well tuned, properly maintained, and kept on the road. We know electric cars can work in certain situations, so I don't think we have anything to prove with the idea of a conversion.

A show of hands could indicate how far, when, and who would drive. If needed, I could do a swing, from say, Las Cruces, NM or El Paso, TX out through the SW over to the California Coast - then maybe up as far as San Luis Obispo or something. I'm somewhat flexible, and it's the experiences of life that make it wonderful.

I'm still in.

Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    93 9000 CSE, 85 900T
    Threepwood and I are still up for this. He is just sitting out there unused.

Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    93 9000 CSE, 85 900T

Potential Leg one, with a stop in Alex Bay

Paul K.
    Saab(s)
    I like the first leg. Who's picking her up in Rutland?

Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    93 9000 CSE, 85 900T
    It is with a heavy heart and much regret that I report that Threepwood has got to go to a new home. I just committed to buy a 9000 Aero and the wife sez one must go.
    He is inspected in Pa till December and ready to go, could use an AC charge.
    Took a 100 mile road trip yesterday morning, and a 25 mile road rally style back road trip last weekend.
    My Volvo buddy Conceded that his 240 could not rally anywhere near as well as the mighty Swede from Trollhatten.
    Cleaned him all up and put on a coat of wax, tightened up the shifter and did some other little stuff.
    Threepwood has been a very reliable member of the family picking up for our Land Rover and the 9000 on several occasions.

Still willing to make the hand off some sort of ceremonial event with a blog etc...

Anybody interested in writing the next chapter in Threepwood's story?

Paul K.
    Saab(s)
    Wish I could, but there's just no way. I'm in AZ, I live in an HOA with room for 4 cars (and I have 4), and my wife would have a cow. I hope Threep goes to a good home.

Sam Carlson
    Saab(s)
    '90 900 LPT with a flat-nose conversion
    I could potentially pick the car up in Rutland, per your original plan, if there's somebody to take him off my hands after I do a leg. What do you say? My girlfriend wants a rig to learn manual transmission on, and Threepwood sounds like a good candidate! We would blog and photograph and take scenic drives, of course.

If you're interested in straight-up giving the car to a new home instead, I can handle that too. I know a few Vermonters who could use a solid c900. Could even meet you halfway through New York state or some such thing like that, if you'd prefer. It's got a solid body, hasn't it?
    Ask me a question about your c900! I promise I either can answer it or know someone who can

Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    93 9000 CSE, 85 900T
    Heading to Burlington in 2 weeks, could drive right through Middlebury.

The body is fairly solid. Ryan and I just patched a hole in the floor caused by the cursed floor rusters which we removed.

Taught Ryan 5 speed in this car. The motor/trans/clutch are in really good condition. I think it is easier to learn on than the 9000.