Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    93 9000 CSE, 85 900T

Threepwood's one lap of America

This may be a crazy idea, but, Threepwood, our families trusty old 87 C900 8v is sitting un-used and is getting lonely.

Some Threepwood background:

http://saabworld.net/f5/curious-how-...r-motors-1678/

http://saabworld.net/f5/threepwood-l...-c900-8v-1802/

The residual value of such a car is close to nil, but sentimental value may be somewhat higher so I was thinking of sending him on a tour of the USA then donating him to a worthy young person at then end of the journey.

Also thinking this may be a fun project for the SAAB community nationwide and may add some publicity to the brand and aid in preservation of the cars left on the road.

I would like to drive first and last legs. Threepwood lives in central Pennsylvania so I was thinking of driving East to the Atlantic Ocean and handing him off to the 2nd leg driver, and then picking him up in a similar location at the end of his journey. My kids who have been commuting back and forth to College in Threepwood till I recently got "The SAAB" a 93 9000 CSE up and running may also want to drive legs.

Think there would be any interest from SAABer's nationwide to support such a project?

Some issues that would need to be worked out:
    • insuring the various drivers
    • Maintenance and repairs along the route (Threepwood has 200K on his clock) to insure his return home and subsequent hand off to the new and worthy owner.
    • How to select the new and worthy owner?
    • Who could update the blog? run PR, coordinate activities?
    • Run a live GPS tracker? Where is Threepwood?
    • Who is going to tell my wife?

All comments, Suggestions and support invited.

Jeff Krebs

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    For repairs, couldn't each driver "buy" their time in the car? The money goes into a central pot and if the car breaks down money can be taken from the pot.

For the new owner, you could go down the the local high school and start asking if there are any good candidates. You might run into problems though. Some people might not be so understanding if little Johnny wraps it around a tree and gets hurt. Yeah it's slow, but people want to blame someone is they get hurt.

PR wouldn't be too hard. We have a blog function here on the site, and we could send out to Jalopnik and similar to know what's up.

A GPS tracker wouldn't be hard. There are a bunch on Amazon for less than $50. I'm sure they are just plug and play or not much harder.

I'm sure it will be much easier to tell the wife when it goes something like, "I was just thinking about the next selfless act I was going to do... I'm thinking of donating Threepwood. I'd like to give the old guy one last hurrah!"

Also, what happens at the trade off? You drive to place X, and hand-off the car to the next person. Then how do you get back home? Plane ticket? Rental car? Follow car?

My questions are how do we prevent someone from keeping Threepwood? Say he goes to a not-so honest person during his travels, and that's the last of him? Sure, he'll still be owned by you, but there's a possibility you just own a stolen car.

I like this idea 110%
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig

Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    93 9000 CSE, 85 900T
    For repairs, couldn't each driver "buy" their time in the car? The money goes into a central pot and if the car breaks down money can be taken from the pot.
    Motor and Trans should be good for a lap or 2, but little things might crop up. Personally I would get in and drive across the country old car and all, the spirit of adventure. A lap of america is like 10 to 15K so if he was all tuned up with fresh brakes and tires costs should be minimum.

For the new owner, you could go down the the local high school and start asking if there are any good candidates. You might run into problems though. Some people might not be so understanding if little Johnny wraps it around a tree and gets hurt. Yeah it's slow, but people want to blame someone is they get hurt.
    Gotta be a kid that is really into SAAB's, and who really needs a car, must be a few left.......

PR wouldn't be too hard. We have a blog function here on the site, and we could send out to Jalopnik and similar to know what's up.
    Would like to use this site, as long as they do not sell out....Facebook?

A GPS tracker wouldn't be hard. There are a bunch on Amazon for less than $50. I'm sure they are just plug and play or not much harder.
    Just looking at these which are pretty cool. Could add a link on the Blog to a map indicating location, even starts stops and locations with Address. Was thinking a picture of Threepwood at famous attractions would be cool. "Perhaps Segment Teams" Competing for the most blog posts and cool photographes??

I'm sure it will be much easier to tell the wife when it goes something like, "I was just thinking about the next selfless act I was going to do... I'm thinking of donating Threepwood. I'd like to give the old guy one last hurrah!"
    Thinking as long as it is out of the Driveway and no liability on us she would be cool, gotta figure out the insurance thing, wonder if you could get a per day cost? I'l check with my carrier.

Also, what happens at the trade off? You drive to place X, and hand-off the car to the next person. Then how do you get back home? Plane ticket? Rental car? Follow car? For me, I would use a chase car link with a vacation night for the wife and instant ride home. I think each segment team would need to work that out for themselves. I think it is a must to do a live hand off.

My questions are how do we prevent someone from keeping Threepwood? Say he goes to a not-so honest person during his travels, and that's the last of him? Sure, he'll still be owned by you, but there's a possibility you just own a stolen car. Well, we would know who had it, it's GPS location prior to the thief disconnecting the GPS assuming all segment drivers are known SAAB guys Peer Pressure to not do such a thing might suffice. I also have a LLC, perhaps I could register it to the company or a non profit all it's own. I would really like to think this is a non issue with our crowd. Threepwood would be lucky to draw $500 on Ebay so I think it's not at the center of a thief's radar. If he breaks down and is un repairable, junk it locally and I'll send the title.

Threepwood has an interesting history, picked up in Belgium driven there and Germany for a while then to the DC area then to the Harrisburg, Pa area and now in Westport , Pa. It's the only C900 with no sunroof I have ever seen, has crank windows, some rust issues, but is really fun to drive around in. Supposedly it has a KPH Speedo at one time.

How about sponsors? Sticker him up!

I like this idea 110%

Saab(s)
    '11 9-4X, '07 9-5 Combi, '99 Viggen, '88 900t, '87 ASFT, '85 SPG, '72 96
    I could probably be down getting it from the Atlantic, maybe East coast of MD and taking it out to WV or someplace.

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    I don't think Frank is planning on selling the site anytime soon. And if he did, I'm sure he'd give us members a chance to buy it first. Look into his thoughts about what happened over at Saab Central (owners selling out to big company, without giving the members a chance).

A whole car's worth of stickers... I'm sure us here at SaabWorld would love to throw some big ones on there.

S camera could be left with the car. Not a super expensive one, but just one so who ever has the car can take some pictures to post up at their locations.

The hardest thing is probably going to be the insurance. Organizing a route and getting people to stick to it (break downs could throw it off, weather, or sometimes things just come up) could also cause some trouble.

I would be down for fetching it from somewhere from the west, and taking it back to Pennsylvania or something like that.
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Quote Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
    I don't think Frank is planning on selling the site anytime soon. And if he did, I'm sure he'd give us members a chance to buy it first. Look into his thoughts about what happened over at Saab Central (owners selling out to big company, without giving the members a chance).
    Not soon...? Not ever! There is nothing for me to sell. The site and contents belongs to the members. I just hold the keys to the front door and keep them in a safe place.

Any publicity and content posted on SaabWorld generates traffic. This will result in a bit more advertising income which goes to running the site and sponsoring events and other activities. Like sponsoring this, for example. It's a circle benefiting the Saab community. It will be shared on Facebook and twitter anyways.

Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    93 9000 CSE, 85 900T
    Not soon...? Not ever! There is nothing for me to sell. The site and contents belongs to the members. I just hold the keys to the front door and keep them in a safe place.
    Special place on Earth for Frank!

Thinking this may be more manageable in small loops. Mid-Atlantic, New England, South East, Key West......

If we consider Mid Atlantic first it keeps Threepwood close to home and we can work out the kinks of Blogging, pictures, driver swaps etc...

Renato Piereck
    Spreading the Saab virus rpiereck's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    '00 9-5 Aero SC, 87 900i 8v
    I wish I could contribute!
    Now: '00 Saab 9-5 Aero Combi - '89 Peugeot 205 CTI - '91 Peugeot 309 GTI
    Gone: '87 Saab 900i - '95 Saab 900 SE Turbo

Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    93 9000 CSE, 85 900T
    Heading stateside in the next 12 months?

Renato Piereck
    Spreading the Saab virus rpiereck's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    '00 9-5 Aero SC, 87 900i 8v
    No, heading to Afghanistan...
    Now: '00 Saab 9-5 Aero Combi - '89 Peugeot 205 CTI - '91 Peugeot 309 GTI
    Gone: '87 Saab 900i - '95 Saab 900 SE Turbo