Hi folks

I know what its like when you go hunting around the net for information, so if you dont mind, I thought I'd share this experience, in case it helps someone at a later date.

My 1999 Saab 9 3 SE, 2.0 non turbo, with 162,000 miles on it, refused to start one day.

Just days before I had pulled up somewhere, and when I returned to my car it wouldnt start. It cranked over, but nothing else. On about the 3rd attempt it did start. i should have looked into it further then, but I didnt.

A few days later, it happened again, only this time it would not start at all. Again it was turning over, but not firing.

I called the breakdown service (AA) and they came and had a look.

He diagnosed that power was getting to the ignition coil (not ignition pack, i dont have one) but not leaving the ignition coil.

I then purchased a new ignition coil, and fitted it myself. The car fired up instantly, and ran great for about a week.

It then did it again.....

Car would turn over, but not start. I called the AA again, and this time the guy said the same thing about the coil, but as it was brand new, and had only done around 50 miles since fitting, he continued looking around. He next checked the crankshaft sensor. He advised it was putting out around 0.3 volt, when it should be 0.5 rising to 1.5 volt. So he then felt it was that sensor. He also advised that there was no smell of fuel after many attempts to start the car, this would be consistent with the engine not knowing the position of the engine, ie the crankshaft sensor.

I had spoken to my local garage the day before, who advised the same thing, so it was looking hopeful we had found the source of the problem.

I had the car back from the garage today, with a new crankshaft sensor, and its running fabulously.

So, moral of the story, if something out the ordinary happens, check it out.

I hope this helps someone in the future.

All the best

Anthony