Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

9-3 Aero questions

Hello all, new guy looking into buying a 08 aero and looking for some info. Im looking for something thats fun to drive but still practical, what kind of aftermarket is there for these cars? Im not gonna be going out drag racing everyone but would like to add some power to the 2.8t. I know this is asking a lot and Ill try and search for some answers, but could someone tell me why they bought an aero or why they love their car? I dont know much about these cars but im willing to learn! Are the stereos a pita to deal with? What are trouble spots for the 08's? I wanna get my bases covered because the two cars im looking at are about 5 hours away so I cant just go hop and the car and go 30 minutes to check it out. Thanks for any input guys!

Jay
    Saab(s)
    07 93 SC Aero 6spd
    Hey Hoosier, welcome.
    Assuming that the 08 2.8T and 07 2.8T are the same, they are a couple tuning options available to us. JZW and Hirsch come to mind right away. I'm running a Hirsch stage 0 tune installed by the dealer in Copenhagen.

Why did I pick the Aero? Because I wanted a V6 Turbo with a six speed manual and POWER! I've had mine for almost 5 years and I still love driving it, and it's still fun to drive. I still smile when I hear the pop-n-crackle on throttle lift off.

The stereo is no more a PITA than on any other modern cars. I'm not sure if Saab punished 08 Aero owners with the same crappy speakers that the 07 got, but to be honest it's not that bad. Still, I wish that Saab would've offered the Bose system across the line.

5 hours to drive? Chicago, Cincinnati, Detroit or Louisville? Or St. Louis?
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Wulfers View Post
    Note to new members: choose your user name carefully because it will stick with you for the rest of your forum life.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    I used to have an '06 9-3 Aero with the same 2.8T engine and it was the fastest Saab I owned. I always thought it was very fast as is and never felt like it needed more horsepower. Saab turbo engines have a really good mid-range so the hp number doesn't tell the whole story.

Maptun has some software and other upgrades: Maptun Performance - Tuning for your Saab

This site shows a lot of options for power and other perfomance upgrades: Taliaferro Imports, Inc.

Jay
    Saab(s)
    07 93 SC Aero 6spd
    Aside from an early 08 9-3 XWD Aero with an autotragic, I've never driven a stock 9-3 with the 2.8T. The 08 XWD 2.8T was tuned to put out the same horsepower and torque as my Hirsch tuned 2.8T. When I did a test drive I had to drive 60 miles one way to the nearest Saab dealer in Vejle, Denmark. The only car they had I could test was an 06 9-3 1.8T with a Hirsch tune. It was quick off the line and when the go-pedal was pushed, but it torque steered like a madman! The only thing that I really noticed between the 4 and 6cyl cars was the extra weight at the front.

The Sport Combi handles differently as well, in my opinion. The rear end of the wagon feels much more planted than the sedans I've driven, even more with XWD.
    Note to new members: choose your user name carefully because it will stick with you for the rest of your forum life.

Quote Originally Posted by Hirsch View Post
    5 hours to drive? Chicago, Cincinnati, Detroit or Louisville? Or St. Louis?
    I live in Northern Indiana so pretty much haha. Ive found two in Michigan that are about 7 miles apart so im trying to get my loan situation figured out(seasonal job + being a college student with pretty much no credit makes a hard) But both are 08's and fully loaded
    50k on it for 14.5k

69k on it for 14.9k.

Gonna call the dealers tomorrow and see about info/loan options!

I used to have an '06 9-3 Aero with the same 2.8T engine and it was the fastest Saab I owned. I always thought it was very fast as is and never felt like it needed more horsepower. Saab turbo engines have a really good mid-range so the hp number doesn't tell the whole story.

Maptun has some software and other upgrades: Maptun Performance - Tuning for your Saab

This site shows a lot of options for power and other perfomance upgrades: Taliaferro Imports, Inc.
    Thanks for the links!

Jay
    Saab(s)
    07 93 SC Aero 6spd
    If it were my money I'd buy the gray one, but I'm partial to Saabs shade of gray!

Good luck!