Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    9-5 Aero 2005

ABS & Antiskid

Hi ,

Not sure if I'm asking this in the right place or not so apologies if I am.

I have a 2005 Aero 2.3T and have noticed while driving I hear a chime, then the emergency brake, ABS and Antiskid lights all come on. When I turn the car off it goes away. It happened periodically now its almost everyday.

Wondering if anyone else has experienced this and what it might be. I've done some poking around and found it could be as simple as the ABS sensor needs replacing or even the brake pads.

Any thoughts on this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks you,
    bman

Saab(s)
    2000 SAAB 9-5 2.3 w/ BSR Stage-1 Tune
    Yep, sounds like the ABS module is going out. Does your speedometer stop working when it happens?
    You can find remanufacturers (like BBA Reman) online, the new ABS module is expensive. The good thing is you can drive around without the module while it's being fixed.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    9-5 Aero 2005
    Speedometer is all good. Unfortunately I'm in Canada I guess I'll have to find something a little more local.

So I'm looking for a rebuilt ABS Module, correct?

Saab(s)
    2000 SAAB 9-5 2.3 w/ BSR Stage-1 Tune
    Hmm, the speedometer would shut off when mine was going out. Other than that, I had the same lights and alert sound you're getting. My MY2000 9-5 was about the age of your 2005 when it happened. I'd say to look around for ABS Module threads and/or wait for other people to chime in. I'd hate to tell you to get the module repaired and find out it's something else because you don't have the speedometer issues.

If it is the ABS, BBA Reman has Canadian service, looks like around C$119.00.
    Rebuilt is the way to go. You can get the part new, but it's very expensive... like double the repair/rebuild cost and then add a zero to the end.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    9-5 Aero 2005
    Yah, I just got off the phone with a local guy he quoted me $695 used for the whole assembly – they don't sel just the module. I have another guy that doesn't charge to look at it to determine what's wrong so I might go that route. Other than that I'll check out BBA Reman – the part seems pretty reasonable and a relatively easy DIY.

So, you think because no speedo issues it might be something else?

Thanks so much for your help and feedback on this.

cheers

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2005 9-5 Arc, 1999 9-5 V6 ( Sold )
    Had exactly same thing happen on my 99 9-5 as well. initially same symptoms as you describe. but as it got worse, speedo would drop down to zero. that can be bit scary when you are doing 100+ km/h on highway.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    9-5 Aero 2005
    haha...that would be scary. What did you do in the end to fix the problem?

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2005 9-5 Arc, 1999 9-5 V6 ( Sold )
    I found a used ABS control module. did not know about BBA Reman at that time ( first saab and all that ). if this happened again, I would definately send the module out to BBA reman folks. Just replaced my throttle body ( bought a new one from thesaabsite ) and I am holding on to old one so that I can send it out to be reconditioned as well.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2001 95 AERO manual, 2003 95 Aero auto
    BBA has done mine some time ago. this is a relatively common failure. I understand a small wire breaks inside from heat and vibration. Remove the control unit, cover the exposed parts with a plastic freezer bag and tape it in place with masking tape. Youi can drive the car. You will have no horn and steering wheel controls but everything else will work. I believe they give a lifetime warranty as well. this is the best and most cost effective way to do this.

You will have to remove the battery and battery base.