Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Denis Kenshalo
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 Aero

2006 9.3 Aero, Headlight Problem

I have a 2006 9.3 Aero and a few months ago I had both of the low beam headlights installed, And now while driving down the road I hit a bump and the right side low beam will flicker of and on and then goes out, Then I hit another bump an it comes back on. This has be going on for awhile so I took it back to the guys that installed the low beams and they said that they couldn't get it do it while they had it, They didn't pull the bumper off they just tried wiggling wires to see if they could find the problem, Not finding the problem we picked the car up and they said they needed to see the car when the problem happens and that it might be the ballast or Igniter, I think there wrong I think they left something lose. Has anybody out there ever had this problem or do you have any idea what it could be.? Thanks.

Jay
    Saab(s)
    07 93 SC Aero 6spd
    I'd put my money on the ballast. I had a similar problem, my right front headlight would not work randomly. I had a bad bulb and bad ballast.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Wulfers View Post
    Note to new members: choose your user name carefully because it will stick with you for the rest of your forum life.

Denis Kenshalo
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 Aero
    Quote Originally Posted by Hirsch View Post
    I'd put my money on the ballast. I had a similar problem, my right front headlight would not work randomly. I had a bad bulb and bad ballast.
    I have another bulb and we are going to try it next, Hoping that the bulb is bad. Does a ballast act that way when it has a problem? Working part time.

Jay
    Saab(s)
    07 93 SC Aero 6spd
    Mine did. Sometimes it would work, sometimes it wouldn't. No rhyme or reason to it.

As long as you're using quality bulbs and not cheap aftermarket crap, I still say it's the ballast.

Yours is an 06, how many miles?
    Note to new members: choose your user name carefully because it will stick with you for the rest of your forum life.

Denis Kenshalo
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 Aero
    Mine did. Sometimes it would work, sometimes it wouldn't. No rhyme or reason to it.

As long as you're using quality bulbs and not cheap aftermarket crap, I still say it's the ballast. Yours is an 06, how many miles?
    ....I use only the best parts never any junk. It does sound like the Ballast if yours was doing the same thing. thanks. The mileage on mine is 60,000..

Jay
    Saab(s)
    07 93 SC Aero 6spd
    I'm sorry, that came across wrong. I'm sure you are using good parts. There are fakes out there that look just like the real ones, but they are a lot cheaper and they don't work the same. Unscrupulous mechanics have been known to try and pass these cheap usually Chinese made(the home of brand identity theft) bulbs off as the real thing.

I replaced mine at about the same mileage.

Denis Kenshalo
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 Aero
    I'm sorry, that came across wrong. I'm sure you are using good parts. There are fakes out there that look just like the real ones, but they are a lot cheaper and they don't work the same. Unscrupulous mechanics have been known to try and pass these cheap usually Chinese made(the home of brand identity theft) bulbs off as the real thing.

I replaced mine at about the same mileage.
    I bought my bulbs out of Germany at.... Osram D2S Xenarc 66040 - new and genuine Osram OEM bulbs, made in Germany The shop that does my work is now buying there bulbs from these people. I think I paid $57.00 each, Not bad when I found that they want $109.00 for the same bulb here......Looks like I might be replacing the Ballast. Do you have any idea where to get one at a good price.?

Jay
    Saab(s)
    07 93 SC Aero 6spd
    You're link didn't work for some reason.

I had mine replaced by my local Saab dealer, so I have no idea where to find one. And with the problems that Saab is having, I wouldn't count on finding a good deal on one at a low price.

Denis Kenshalo
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 Aero
    Thanks, Looks like I will be doing some shopping, I know that there are a lot on the net but if they won't tell me where they are made I won't buy them, And a lot of them don't say where they where made. Thanks for all of your help. Buy the way mine is a 2006 Saab 9.3 Aero with 60,000 miles on it. It has been a great car I hate to see them go under.

Jay
    Saab(s)
    07 93 SC Aero 6spd
    Did the 06 Aero have the 2.8T V6?

Auto or manual? Sedan or Sport Combi?