Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    1999 Saab Scania Turbo SE Hatchback
    I would say Zerex is your best bet in any case. I have used Dextron and Dexcool and frankly after much discussion with experts, I found that the Dex will tear up heads, gaskets and such and I found my Lumina in the shop with serious issues after I changed to the Dex (Orange coolant). I know automotive companies may recommend it, but assuredly I would proceed with caution and avoid using it. It caused some damage in my Mercury as well and had to have new gaskets installed after the Dex chewed it up. I am no expert, but I do know from experience what products can do since I am a victim of this. Just keep it green and be mean, not orange. Now orange you glad you saw my little reply? Thanks, seriously, and best of luck,and it is great to be a part of this website to share with all of you. Have a great day.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Quote Originally Posted by LRPharm54 View Post
    I would say Zerex is your best bet in any case.
    Which one? Zerex is a brand that comes in different specs, including Dexcool. Valvoline.com > Products > Zerex

Thanks for bumping this thread, reminds me to flush and change the coolant in mine. Welcome!

Saab(s)
    01 95 Aero and Wagon, 09 93 Combi and an 08 95 Combi
    Hi Frank: Yes there have been issues with Dex put in vehicles not designed for it. However your car was designed for Dex and there is no issue in using it. The very big thing not to do is mix the green with the dex. Since is it near impossible to get every drop of Dex out of a system I would and have replaced my red with red in the 08 and green in the 01 as called for.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    1999 Saab Scania Turbo SE Hatchback
    Thanks folks. At least we got all the opinions out and if anyone has issues after using Dexcool, I would want to be the first to know. For now I will use Zerex green and hope for the best. I am sure we all each other's best interest at heart. Thanks for the many good comments. It is all good food for thought.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    1999 Saab 9-5 2.3t manual
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brennan View Post
    Hi Frank: Yes there have been issues with Dex put in vehicles not designed for it. However your car was designed for Dex and there is no issue in using it. The very big thing not to do is mix the green with the dex. Since is it near impossible to get every drop of Dex out of a system I would and have replaced my red with red in the 08 and green in the 01 as called for.
    Does that mean that 1999 - 2001 9-5's use green coolant, and later models use orange? I am about to flush my 1999 9-5 (as part of radiator replacement) and I am not sure if I should keep using orange (Prestone Dex-Cool Extended Life Antifreeze/Coolant) or switch to something else.

Saab(s)
    01 95 Aero and Wagon, 09 93 Combi and an 08 95 Combi
    Yours should be green.
    be sure to flush all the orange out.
    they must not be mixed.
    see my note above to know how to be sure you get it all out after you put in your new radiator

Bruno
    Saab(s)
    9-5 ARC Wagon 2002 2 t auto engine B205E
    Wondering if all the oranges or greens are of the same formulation in any brands, my have been refilling with a no brand one it is bad for the engine ??

Geoffrey Storey
    Saab(s)
    2000 9-3 viggen convertible
    No don’t mix them.

Bruno
    Saab(s)
    9-5 ARC Wagon 2002 2 t auto engine B205E
    not saying willing to mix it just asking if the no brands ones are Dexcool or Dextron formulas I've buying a cheaper orange pink one so wondering if it fits well.
    here we don't have a lots of branded even in workshops (not talking about Saab workshops)
    (sorry if my discourse is confused )

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Color doesn't matter, content does. Green color does not always mean that the jug contains ethyl glycol with an inorganic acid corrosion inhibitor and orange doesn't always mean phosphate or silicone free with aluminum friendly organic acid as corrosion protection. So always read the jug before adding a different brand than what you are running in the car. Mixing inorganic corrosion with an organic corrosion inhibitors turns your coolant into mud and because newer organic mixes are hybrids not all organic acid mixes are compatible with each other so you need to know what you have before you add.

Nothing wrong with good old ethyl glycol phosphate, its been working fine for 90 years. For most of those 90 years radiators and heater cores were made of brass and how cold it got before it froze was the only thing that mattered. With aluminum heater cores and radiators the PH balance becomes important and you can't leave it in the system forever like you did in days of old. Good old ethyl is supposed to be good for 3 years or 30,000 miles, the long life / Dex is supposed to be good for 5 years 150,000 miles, but if you use tap water in your 50/50 mix don't depend on the mileage, or the number of years.