Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X

Coolant type

I have read many things about coolant for the 9-5 on several forums but get conflicting facts and/or opinions.

What is the factory fill for the different model years? Some say not to use Dexcool, others say it is fine if you flush it every few years. Some manufacturers say it is life-time coolant and never needs to be changed. Some say Zerex G05 (Mercedes coolant) is best to put in the 9-5. Saab never specified this for the

Can you switch from one to another type of coolant? My 2004 with 60K miles has green coolant, I don't know if it is the factory fill or if it has been changed. The coolant tank appears to be stained orange. Is going from green to orange (Dexcool) ok? Flushing with distilled water seems to be a good idea regardless of any coolant type change.

Other threads:
    http://saabworld.net/f9/want-do-coolant-change-2682/
    http://saabworld.net/f9/dexcool-my-n...g05-fan-25411/

Dave T.
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-3SE (2013-2015), 2005 9-3 (2005-2013), 1990 900 (1990-2003)
    I really don't know! The 1990 900 came with green coolant and the 2005 9-3 came with orange Dexcool but, in between, I don't know. I think mixing stuff with Dexcool reduces the benefit and longevity of Dexcool so I would replace it often with green coolant.

For my 1990 900, I used to use Zerex because it was made by BASF and phosphate free. BASF sold the brand. Consider changing the coolant and then changing it every 2 years.

Saab Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Wulfers View Post
    I have read many things about coolant for the 9-5 on several forums but get conflicting facts and/or opinions.

What is the factory fill for the different model years? Some say not to use Dexcool, others say it is fine if you flush it every few years. Some manufacturers say it is life-time coolant and never needs to be changed. Some say Zerex G05 (Mercedes coolant) is best to put in the 9-5. Saab never specified this for the

Can you switch from one to another type of coolant? My 2004 with 60K miles has green coolant, I don't know if it is the factory fill or if it has been changed. The coolant tank appears to be stained orange. Is going from green to orange (Dexcool) ok? Flushing with distilled water seems to be a good idea regardless of any coolant type change.

Other threads:
    http://saabworld.net/f9/want-do-coolant-change-2682/
    http://saabworld.net/f9/dexcool-my-n...g05-fan-25411/
    I just did this a few months ago after I bought my wagon. It had green coolant, assuming dexcool but I really had no idea andanother unknown. So I drained it, flushed with distilled water and then filled it with Pentosin Blue(Mercedes Stuff) no issues so far.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    I have been reading up on Dexcool and other coolant types. Some blame Dexcool on turning into a slurry mess and messing up the engine internals, radiators, water pumps and so on. Other sources say some of those reports are based on faulty GM engine designs where there was air trapped in the engine and internals started to rust. Rust is orange and combined with water/coolant, it can create an orange mess.

Others say GM used an inferior type of Dexcool in the beginning and not all Dexcool from different suppliers/manufacturers is the same. Some people swear by Pentosin Blue or other recommended coolant for BMW and Mercedes like Zerex G05. The green coolant basically is the same as Dexcool but Dexcool is supposed to last the life of the engine.

So... what coolant is the best to use in a later model Saab? I still don't know!

As long as it is replaced every 2-3 years, it shouldn't really matter what type is being used. If your Saab came with Dexcool, there doesn't seem to be any reason to stop using that. Just make sure to replace every few years.

It appeared my 2004 Saab 9-5 had green coolant. But after I drained and flushed, it appeared more orange. I am not sure if it was originally Dexcool and green coolant was added. Or if this was the original coolant from the factory. All I know is it was in need of a flush and replacement and everything looks good again after filling up with Dexcool.

These are mostly opinions and I am not an engine engineer or mechanic making a qualified recommendation if you should Dexcool or not. Pretty much like 99% of other opinions you find on the internet. I'll keep an eye on it and replace again in 2 years. If I keep this 9-5 that long..

Saab(s)
    2003 Saab 9-5 Aero 2.3t Wagon HO Manual
    You've probably already resolved the coolant thing, but I had "Dean" at eEuroparts tell me that factory fill for my '03 was Dexcool. At the time I was going to change my coolant, it looked greenish brown. I didn't know at the time that the PO had dumped in a head gasket stop leak to mask the effects of an over-pressurized coolant system. I flushed out my system with distilled water about 4 times, then refilled with Dexcool 50/50. Other than flushing out all of the stop leak, leading to a more obvious head gasket leak, I didn't have any issues with the Dexcool. I will say, if you get any of the stuff on your paint, make sure to wash it off quickly, it will stain the paint inside of the engine compartment.
    2003 Saab 9-5 Aero B235R
    Sport Wagon 2.3T HO Manual
    140,627 Miles

Frank
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by photousa View Post
    I flushed out my system with distilled water about 4 times, then refilled with Dexcool 50/50.
    With the 2 liters of water left in the system after the flush, you'll actually have less than 50/50 antifreeze in you cooling system. Probably more like 30% antifreeze and 70% water.

Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Wulfers View Post
    With the 2 liters of water left in the system after the flush, you'll actually have less than 50/50 antifreeze in you cooling system. Probably more like 30% antifreeze and 70% water.
    Good point, thanks. Time to use my trusty coolant tester...
    2003 Saab 9-5 Aero B235R
    140,627 Miles

Saab(s)
    01 95 Aero and Wagon, 09 93 Combi and an 08 95 Combi
    Actually, using a hose to flush until it runs clear is step one. Then add you coolant (assuming 50/50 mix) with the motor running till the coolant starts to run out. As such all the water has been replaced and your unit will fill up on the coolant and when you are done you will have the right mix all the way thru.

Saab(s)
    Once I checked, I discovered that my coolant to water ratio is off. I've added straight Dexcool to bring my recommended concentration back into proper specs.

2003 Saab 9-5 Aero B235R
    140,627 Miles

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    05 9⁵ AERO, 05 9⁵ AERO Combi
    Both my 05 9-5s that i bought with low miles so they were dealer maintained have the same orange stuff(dexcool) in both if that helps.