Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    That didn't last very long.. No more cold air. I went back to the garage and they added green dye to the system. I have to go back in about a week so they can check for leaks. Hopefully, they will find something that is not too expensive to fix.

Saab(s)
    2003 Saab 9-5 Aero 2.3t Wagon HO Manual
    Don't know if this will help you, but since the techs couldn't find my leak, I'm changing out my schrader valves, using this tool: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00
    My '03 uses three schrader valves that cost about $2 for all three. When I changed two of them today, one of my High Side valves was leaking for sure, I heard air release when I removed the cap and also saw
    residual clear fluid in the valve, ( Freon or oil, I suppose ). I have one valve left to change out, but it appears to be buried under the passenger headlight, with the valve pointing downward through a hole
    in the body. I'm going to get under my car tomorrow to see if I can access the last schrader valve. One of the schrader valves screws into a plastic fitting, (on the high side hose). Not surprised it
    leaked.
    2003 Saab 9-5 Aero B235R
    Sport Wagon 2.3T HO Manual
    140,627 Miles

Saab(s)
    2003 Saab 9-5 Aero 2.3t Wagon HO Manual
    Quote Originally Posted by photousa View Post
    Don't know if this will help you, but since the techs couldn't find my leak, I'm changing out my schrader valves, using this tool: Amazon.com: Mastercool 58490 Universal Master Valve Core Kit: Automotive
    My '03 uses three schrader valves that cost about $2 for all three. When I changed two of them today, one of my High Side valves was leaking for sure, I heard air release when I removed the cap and also saw
    residual clear fluid in the valve, ( Freon or oil, I suppose ). I have one valve left to change out, but it appears to be buried under the passenger headlight, with the valve pointing downward through a hole
    in the body. I'm going to get under my car tomorrow to see if I can access the last schrader valve. One of the schrader valves screws into a plastic fitting, (on the high side hose). Not surprised it
    leaked.

I ended up replacing two of my schrader valves, one with the high side port and the other with the Low side port. The AC diagram that I found at eEuroparts, showed a third schrader valve on the High side line, towards the front of the car near the passenger headlight, but mine didn't have that valve at that junction. I was told that somewhere, there is a schrader valve at the pressure sensor, but I haven't been able to find it. I'm not sure if Saab's have a separate pressure sensor. Went to get my ac system evacuated and have the right amount of oil installed. After making about 10 phone calls, here are some results showing a huge variation in the fee for this service in Chicago:

Dealer: $170
    Pepboys: $200
    "Cool Heat" on North side: $159
    Speed line: small shop: $169
    "Cool Heat". South side: $85

Ended up going to "Cool Heat" on the South Side, they hooked me up to a CoolTech machine. The machine automatically installs the correct amount of oil, cleans and recycles your refrigerant, adds the proper amount of refrigerant and dye to your system depending your year, make and model. The tech then searched for leaks using an ultraviolet flashlight and yellow glasses, couldn't find any leaks. AC blows ice cold, service included a 90 day warranty. We'll see how long the re-charge lasts.
    2003 Saab 9-5 Aero B235R
    Sport Wagon 2.3T HO Manual
    140,627 Miles

Saab(s)
    9-5, 9-3, 9000, C900
    When you pull a vacuum with a vacuum pump below 29 "Hg, water boils and can be extracted easier thru the vacuum pump.

Quote Originally Posted by photousa View Post
    I don't get this statement by tweek: "Saabnazi also said the water boils at such and such inches of mercury. This flushes out any moisture."

Flushes out the moisture? How is that possible? Does that mean that the receiver / dryer absorbs the moisture? If that is the case, is it really necessary to apply the vacuum to the system?

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    They checked for leaks a couple of weeks ago and found a tiny leak near the compressor. But the garage recommended not to fix anything right now. It is still blowing cold after 3 weeks and 1200 miles in 2 days. Which is a good thing because it's nice to have some cold air when it is 90+ outside.

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    Timely thread.
    I have no air either in my 03. I plan to shop around for one that offers any type of warranty. (I don't think I've heard of any shop around here offering any.)
    If I don't find one I can get the charge tool and a can for $35 and do it myself. I'll check those schrader valves first.

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    Well... That was either a waist of time and $ or my air conditioning compressor isn't working. (I didn't hear it cycle at all... Is that a SAAB thing?)
    I have 3 valves that I can find on my 03 and 04 9-5's. (See pictures) One valve with the tag on it (pass. left side) says low pressure access. My tool couldn't hook to that valve... Or the valve at the front of the rad on the drivers side. The only valve I could fit it on had 5psi and was the valve closest to the engine.
    I added the coolant for about 10 seconds and the pressure came up to 30lbs! Yes that fast! ( I may have the high side???? I'm not sure.)
    I thought I'd better look under the pass. head light just in case there was another valve there.
    No valve under there. (A sticky mess, lots of oil undercoating, but no valve.)
    Some things to note: I did this this evening around 7pm the outside temp was 18*C. The ACC controls inside were set at 15*C or Low (2 separate settings..). I'm not fully sure how this SAAB climate control thing works and will go through the manual tonight to make sure I'm not doing something wrong.
    Next; I was doing this on my 04 9-5 ARC. This car had a code (9) on the ACC referring to the blend door motor. I was told the fan didn't work by the previous owner and now know it does work at all speeds. (High isn't as high as the other 03 9-5???) I have the door motor off and am in the process of replacing the cabin filter and the door motor. (No codes right now)
    So if there being no codes and the relays are good (I've swapped them around with the lights that still work.) what is the reason I had such a fast recharge? And Why can't I hear the compressor
    cycling?
    Hope I'm not getting too off track here.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

arthur franklin
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    99GLE 78/ 2 900 3DOOR 87/900S 87
    Basics: you have a high side service port and a low side service port ;High side being hot and low side cold to the touch feel your lines to make sure. If you are not comfortable using refrigerant my advice stop and seek a Tech. They have machines that extract, remove moisture,and find leaks. But if you have knowledge compression gages are a life savers you want the pressure on high side 150 to 350 psi or hot side low side or cold to the touch around 30 psi ambient temps have alot to do with readings. Dye is best but the car must be driven awhile is the only draw back. Listen and visual inspection on your ports is good. If you don't know how or do I stress getting a compression gauges with the high and low they are life savers. Testing and finding problems is a hit or miss but with practice like anything else http://tooltopia or amazon good prices

arthur franklin
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    99GLE 78/ 2 900 3DOOR 87/900S 87
    your high side hoses are usually smaller high looks like a receiver / drier attached to your condenser always feel your lines nothing replaces the human touch. you may have a blockage somewhere in you TXV . Check and see if you have a compressor that cycles not all cycle. If I'm right that is the high side . Low side begins at expansion device OT and TXV and ends at the compressor High side begins at the compressor and ends at the OT TXV. HIGH WARM OR HOT LOW COOL OR COLD HOT HOSES SMALLER LOW LARGER
    Last edited by Artorious; 09 June 2013 at 15:40. Reason: wrong info

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    What about the compressor cycling? On all my past vehicles it has made a defeated noise when it engages. This is not the case with both 9-5's (03 or 04).
    Could they be malfunctioning? (I checked the fuse and swapped the relays.)
    I wish feel was an option. There doesn't seem to be any difference. But I'll check again when I go out today.