Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90

360000k isni't too much is it? Looking for advice on a 04 2.3l automatic wagon.

Well I love the 03 AERO wagon I got for my wife so much I'm thinking of ditching the truck and getting another. It has high K's 360000! It is advertised as having been well and properly maintained...
    Am I nuts to think about a 2.3 with that many Km on it?
    I have purchased other higher km vehicles before; 04 Dakota 4.7L 365000k, and a 03 Caravan 3.3L with 385000k, both 2 years ago. They have ran flawlessly! ( May be good luck?) Only abut 750ml of oil usage / 5000k oil changes with regular oil and 1/3 bottle Lucas additive each. (I have since seen what Lucas oil additive does with a small amount of moisture in it and have decided to stop using it in the vehicles. I will continue to use it in the 4 stroke small engines until its gone.)
    So back to the question; Is 360000 too much for the 2.3L? I don't want to overhaul the motor or trans. any time soon. Or R&R either. I do expect the normal wear and tare like bushings, shocks, etc.
    So I guess I'm asking if there is any known or inherent problems with really high Km's on a Saab 2.3 and automatic trans? Or the rest of the car for that matter?
    I will be viewing with cash in hand on Monday.
    Any advice is most welcome.
    Thanks Finding

Saab(s)
    01 95 Aero and Wagon, 09 93 Combi and an 08 95 Combi
    Yes, you would be nuts.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brennan View Post
    Yes, you would be nuts.
    Not so fast... it all depends on the price and your expectations. There was a 1999 Saab 9-5 with one million kilometers in the Netherlands with the original engine and is still running fine. This 2001 9-5 has more than half a million miles and SaabScott's 9-5 had more than 300K kms before it was in an accident. I am sure there are many others as well.

The 2.3 engine and automatic transmissions are reliable and can last a long time. If an earlier 9-5 made it this far and still runs good, it will probably run a while longer. 2004 is a good year. Does it have the 2.3t (Linear) or 2.3T engine (Arc)? 360K kms in 9 years is 40,000 km a year. Probably many of those are highway which is always good.

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    I should have put the price. It's $500.
    I briefly spoke with the owners mecahnic He says its a great deal. But it needs a blower motor. (There is a turorial on youtube. Not so hard.) He said it would be expensive for his shop to repair it.
    I will be going to see it on Monday and if it passes my inspection I think I'll be drivivng it home.
    Any suggestions of what to really look or listen for?

Frank
    Saab(s)
    It's pretty much like any 10-year old used car so just use common sense. You can't go wrong for $500.

Luis R
    Saab(s)
    03' 9-5 Linear wagon
    Frank is right...you can't go wrong with a $500 vehicle. Especially is it's a Saab, that would just sweeten the deal more so.

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    Yes the more I think about it the more it makes sense. I will get the 04 even if it doesn't have cooled seats! It has to drive OK though.
    I just sold my old work van today for $450 so if I throw another $50 at it it's like getting a Saab for $50! The van was used by my crew of crash test dummies... I mean the guys that work for me. (4 separate accidents in 2 weeks! The biggest one was one of them got T-boned! When I asked what the .............. were you doing? The reply was, "Running a red light while putting on my seat-belt!" ) .......!
    When I finally pried the van out of the other guys hands (I shut that part of my biz down.) it was missing the whole pass. side headlight assembly! How/ what/ ware is, did that? Questions all gave the same answer.... "I don't know." ......
    Here is the beautiful 02 Caravan I payed $500 for 2.5 years ago. I really got my $ out of it!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    I got it today. It is a ARC with no cooled seats. It is OK. There is some scratched paint, rust, dents, needs breaks, missing fog light lens. The mechanic said the fan doesn't work... he is wrong, it works. Just not very well. I'm yet to do a diagnosis test. It smells 100 times better than my old work van! No paint split inside either.
    I took some pictures of it and its flaws. (Whats with those front and back Saab emblems? Are all the ones I see aftermarket? Mine are junk on both cars.)
    All and all I'm happy. I got rid of my old van and got another SAAB. (For $50!) It needs about the same things as the van did. But is in much better shape.

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    Now the punch list photos:
    I'll drive it for the week to determine what else needs attention.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    Looks like it is in a little bit rough shape but still better than the minivan. It will make a big difference after it is all cleaned up, carpet shampoo-ed, some detailing, regular maintenance and so on.