Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Saab(s)
    2002 9-3

top sticking only in the back part, problems other than hydraulic fluid?

Topless9-3,
    I found your post 4 years after you posted it, but I'm hoping you're still out there and can tell me if you ever got your problem fixed. I just bought my first convertible (2002 Saab 9-3) and it seems to have the exact problem as you describe. I haven't yet checked the hydraulic fluid (will do that soon), but upon reading your post I now wonder if there's a different problem I should check for in addition to the hydraulic fluid.

Quote Originally Posted by Topless9-3 View Post
    Well I removed the old fluid over the weekend, it was dirty! I replaced it with the new fluid and I am still having the same problem. When I try to lower the top, the back raises up about two inches and stops. Then the rear of the top has to be manually lifted up to the 90 deg. position. Then when you hold down the button, it completley closes. When I try to put the top up, it comes out and completley expands. The problem here is when it tries to put the back down again. It gets stuck again in the 90 deg. position and you have to turn the car off and push it back down. Then when you push the button again, it seals closed. Any ideas?

thanks!

Roger Cook
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2008 9-5 Aero, 2006 9-3SC 2.0T, 2000 Viggen 'vert, SAAB Quantum, 2000 9-5 retired at 318K miles
    Lori -

The best way to check fluid level is with a friend. You need to open the trunk, remove the four push-in bristle pins which secure the floor carpet where the floor of the trunk raises about 3 inches above the rear axel. Fold down the carpet and you will see two holes, maybe 3/4 inch diameter, in the vertical part of the floor which was previously covered by the carpet flap. Use a flashlight through one of the holes to illuminate the interior of the plastic fluid reservoir. You will then be able to see the fluid level through the other hole. Have your friend push against the car's bumper as if they are trying to rock the car. This action will cause the nearly clear hydraulic fluid to slosh and you can see its meniscus easier through the open hole to determine the fluid level.

Another cause may be the shear pin in the U-joint connected to the tonneau cover drive mechanism. These pins are designed to shear in over-load conditions to prevent damage to the linkage. Sometimes the pin will bend slightly, or partially shear which causes the tonneau lift mechanism to not operate correctly. Shear pins are inexpensive. They are also tapered so they can be removed in only one direction. If the pin is too bent, or has experienced significant partial shearing, you may need to replace the entire U-joint as the pin will be incapable of being removed. A full U-joint is ~$120 or more new and difficult to locate.

Saab(s)
    2002 9-3
    Also i forgot to mention that before he found the piston problem the top stopped working completely. So if your top only occasionally stops at the 5th bow the piston may test ok but may be starting to fail(?)