Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2001 SAAB 9-3 Convertible Fluid Top-up

Hey Guys,

I always feel guilty when I make my first post on a new forum a request, so my apologies.

My top is not going down all the way all of a sudden. It goes back and then I hear a ratcheting sound and then my SID pops up a message that there is an issue with the top. I noticed a puddle under my car a few days earlier which I assumed to be coolant after smelling it and it not having a very distinct smell.

After a bit of research I figured it might be the hydraulic fluid. I haphazardly searched for the pump and I think I found it. (I'll attach a picture)

The fluid had a blue hue and was filled to about half way.

Could someone please confirm that I did indeed find the pump, and then if so, whether my fluid looks low?

Thank you very much!

EDIT: For some reason the picture is upside down...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by psyborg; 23 May 2012 at 19:23. Reason: Picture upside down

Quote Originally Posted by psyborg View Post
    Hey Guys,

I always feel guilty when I make my first post on a new forum a request, so my apologies.

My top is not going down all the way all of a sudden. It goes back and then I hear a ratcheting sound and then my SID pops up a message that there is an issue with the top. I noticed a puddle under my car a few days earlier which I assumed to be coolant after smelling it and it not having a very distinct smell.

After a bit of research I figured it might be the hydraulic fluid. I haphazardly searched for the pump and I think I found it. (I'll attach a picture)

The fluid had a blue hue and was filled to about half way.

Could someone please confirm that I did indeed find the pump, and then if so, whether my fluid looks low?

Thank you very much!

EDIT: For some reason the picture is upside down...
    Yes, that is the pump and fluid tank for your top. I just got a 2004 convertible myself and have an issue with with a hydraulic leak. I've heard that you need to be careful to get the right fluid, and it's available from GM dealers. Don't know any more details yet. I'm trying to figure out where I can find some kind of schematic that shows how to get to the front hydaulic cylinders that control the front hooks that secure the top down so I can see if I can rebuild or replace.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    While I can't help with any of these issues, I added some documentation for the 2004+ 9-3 convertible top here:

http://saabworld.net/f146/saab-9-3-c...-system-26204/

Hi Frank,
    Man that is a HUGE help. I'm going to open things up today. I have a referal to someone in Oregon that rebuilds hydraulic cylinders. I guess this is a fairly common problem in 93 converts around 2004. The documentation you provided should make my day MUCH easier. THANKS SO MUCH!!

Great news (I think). Got the covers off the first bow. My hydraulic cylinder is fine, no leaks! I have a hole in the hydraulic line going to it, right back of the 2nd bow where the first roof joint is at. Looks like the line got pinched in the joint there.

So are these lines fixable? If not, are they replaceable and if so are they a Saab part or can just the line be replaced?

Thanks for all of the great help!!

Still having trouble getting replacement hoses for my 2004 convertible. I have a question hopefully someone can help me out with.

I'm wondering if I could take the two lines going to the front bow for the top hooks and effectively 'splice' them together creating a loop. One hose goes to the hydaulic cylinder to release the hooks, the other goes to the cylinder to close the hooks. My thoughts were that whichever hose is pumping fluid, the other would have to act as the return line for the displaced fluid. If that is true, I could replace the two lines with one line that is ‘spliced’. Bypassing the front hooks on the top, I could just use a wrench for that, and have the rest of the top operational as normal. A slight inconvenience, but not all that bad. Does anyone know if my plan would work? Do the hoses in fact switch off, one delivering fluid and the other acting as return line?

Saab(s)
    2001 9-3 Convertible
    Hi guys - I just bought a 9-3 soft top and it was having problems opening and closing in the dealers lot (so it helped me get a good deal on it). The top will usually open all the way, 2 times in 10 it gets stuck at the very beginning and needs some manual assistance, then once it is stowed, the SID continues to say "Check Soft Top" even though it is stowed and the cover is locked. Then when closing the top, it gets stuck every time right before the top seals in the back. I checked the hydraulic fluid and it appears to be just below the min. line. The motors work great, it just seems like they don't have enough power to finish the job. Do yo uguys think it could just be the fluid? Also - the fluid looks pretty dark. Do you ever have to replace it? It was a chore just getting the hydraulic unit to an angle where I could read the level. I hope I don't have to take it all the way out.
    thanks in advance!

Saab(s)
    9-3 Convertible 1999
    Hello, if your tank need fluid you should hearing a strange noise. My soft top was doing that and that was the reason.

Saab(s)
    9-3 Convertible 1999
    Guys have in mind that there is a fuid on the market for the Hydraylic leaks (for small leaks) called ''Hydaylic Oil Stop Leak'' from ''Lucas Oil''. You mix it 5/1 (5 with the Saab fluid and 1 with Lucas). If the leak continues you have to mix it 3/1. It worked for me with no problem for the last 5 months and until now. It is very cheap, 1Lt= 30 Euros if i remember right but i think it is American so you may find it cheaper

p.s: I am sorry about my English but its not my native language

Saab(s)
    2001 9-3 Convertible
    Well I removed the old fluid over the weekend, it was dirty! I replaced it with the new fluid and I am still having the same problem. When I try to lower the top, the back raises up about two inches and stops. Then the rear of the top has to be manually lifted up to the 90 deg. position. Then when you hold down the button, it completley closes. When I try to put the top up, it comes out and completley expands. The problem here is when it tries to put the back down again. It gets stuck again in the 90 deg. position and you have to turn the car off and push it back down. Then when you push the button again, it seals closed. Any ideas?

thanks!