Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Renato Piereck
    Spreading the Saab virus rpiereck's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    '00 9-5 Aero SC, 87 900i 8v

Minilites!

I'm picking up a set of genuine SAAB Ronal Minilite wheels tomorrow. These used to be factory accessory and racing wheels for 99s, and pre-87 900s. The owner says they need to be cleaned, stripped and repainted, but have no damage. 100 Euro, I couldn't pass it up.

They're 15 inch, same size as the Manholes I have now, I might just replace the them with the Minilites, and then keep the Manholes for winter tire duty.

Now: '00 Saab 9-5 Aero Combi - '89 Peugeot 205 CTI - '91 Peugeot 309 GTI
    Gone: '87 Saab 900i - '95 Saab 900 SE Turbo

Sam Carlson
    Saab(s)
    '90 900 LPT with a flat-nose conversion
    That's awesome! I've wanted a set for a while, but never found any, so I settled for Super Incas instead. Aren't old-style (pre-1988) wheels great? You get so much more choice!
    Ask me a question about your c900! I promise I either can answer it or know someone who can

Renato Piereck
    Saab(s)
    I like the original Incas. There is this set of Mint Incas in Calgary for 225 CDN... too far! Saab Inca Wheels with origninal boxes - Calgary Tires, Rims For Sale - Kijiji Calgary Canada.

Sam Carlson
    Saab(s)
    And too expensive! I would wait and see what I could find, before going for new-in-box Incas. There are probably some better ones out there.

Post pics of your new Minilites when you get them! Please?
    Ask me a question about your c900! I promise I either can answer it or know someone who can

Renato Piereck
    Saab(s)
    Those Incas are too far from me anyway. ​Even if they had been twenty dollars it would have been too far. And yes, I well get pictures of the Minilites.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    84 T8
    I have had quite a few of these. They're my favorite. My brother hit a curb in one of my cars and damaged one of a set. Fast forward a few years and he's asking me if I know of any rims kicking around that would fit his utility trailer that has hubs from an old Healey. Something rings a bell and I tell him to try the Ronals. It's one mean looking trailer now.

Renato Piereck
    Saab(s)
    I just came back from Frankfurt, got the Minilites. The guy I bought them from also had four SAABs (like the guy I bought the C900 from), he has a four door 900 8v, a 1985 900 Turbo, a 1981 99 and a 9000 CDE for a daily driver. "SAABs - You can't just own one car" should be their motto!

Anyway, the Minilites. Three of the four wheels are in good shape, no rust, no dents, nothing bad, but need some cleaning and possibly respray. The fourth wheel has some rust and dents, but nothing that seems irreparable.

There are no center caps so I'll have to find some. Anyone know where can I get them?

Four wheels in my trunk

The one wheel with rust and slight dents

Rust spot on spoke face root

Slight rust under logo

Minor rust on lip

Slight dents on two spoke faces, plus a small rust patch

Actual German made Ronal wheels

Back side of the wheel, some rust on the inner lip

Inside rust spot

So my options are:

1) repair the wheel myself: cheap but time consuming. Rust removal and control might be a pain.
    2) find a local wheel repair shop and have them do it: expensive but professional results.
    3) find a fourth wheel in better condition and buy it (Jetman, I suppose that trailer had two wheels, do you have the extra wheel laying around?)

These wheels are pretty good looking! At 15.4 pounds each they're pretty light too.

(and yes, I'm wearing Crocs)
    Last edited by rpiereck; 25 May 2012 at 23:20.

Masterfully Slow Learner SPGreg's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    Three SPGs
    Nice catch! I have these on my silver '85 Sport (see my garage). Love them.

Sam Carlson
    Saab(s)
    I don't think removing the corrosion will be that hard! Just depends how much time you have. Set a wheel on your lap, pour yourself a pint, and watch the game with your buddies while idly sanding a wheel? Sounds good to me! You should be able to fill in the corrosion pitting with some body filler. That's actually its intended purpose!

Renato Piereck
    Saab(s)
    Yeah, I jut have to find the right kind of sandpaper. Most of the normal kind of sandpaper you buy at regular stores (aluminum oxide) will actually corrode aluminum on the long run. Steel wool is also bad because steel and aluminum are dissimilar metals. Fortunately at work we should have some, although I am having a hard time finding it because they apparently took all the sandpaper we had to Afghanistan. All I need is a sheet or two when I find it. I could also use a plastic abrasive wheel at very low speeds on a Dremel, I need to find that here in Germany first.

I contacted a German company that does wheel restoration and they said they can fix all corrosion, strip the wheels bare and powder coat them for 228 Euro. Too much for me, but those would be the nicest Minilites around!

I am also looking for center caps, and I have found out that they are the same size as Inca center caps, so I imagine they are a standard SAAB size center cap.