Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Paul K.
    Saab(s)
    1990 Saab 900 Turbo Convertible

Finally dove in.

My wife and I just purchased a 1990 Saab 900 convertible - just over 70K on the clock. My wife had been in love with them since her first ride in 1993 - hey it only took 19 years for all the stars and planets to line up. There are a few things that need to be squared away, but I'm rapidly becoming addicted to "Elsa." I know many people deride the turbo lag that is inherent with a Saab Turbo, but it's neat if you know how long it takes to spool up - you can take the lag into account when driving for maximum effectiveness.

Anyway, the stereo is crapped out, and we've gotten a replacement (with new speakers) from Crutchfield. We just have to pick a time to do the install - any tips for an easier dash speaker installation?

The interior lights are not working, and I had heard somewhere that there's a fuse panel under the rear seat. Is this true or am I looking for a left-handed smoke shifter? I guess I should lube the door plungers first - didn't even THINK of that until just now. Stupid!

There is a switch at the far rear of the center console - simply marked "on-off" - what does this control?

Any feelings on black top vis-a-vis a sand colored top? We're in AZ and my thought that the sand color top will reflect more of the sun's rays, keeping us cooler and keeping the top in tact for longer. The top has to be replaced, and we only want to do this once.

Finally - any good sources for parts for a 1990 vintage convertible? I'm okay with spending money, but I don't want to be taken for a ride.

I ordered the Robert Bentley repair manual - I guess Chilton or Haynes didn't publish a manual for this vintage car. C'est la vie.

Thanks in advance for any and all help. Looking forward to being active on the board.

Edward G
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    T5.5 84 900T8
    Haynes suck.

RockAuto Auto Parts - cheap and good quality parts
    European Auto Parts | Discount Parts | eEuroparts.comĀ® - more expensive but bigger range
    www.thesaabsite.com - also has good range

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    84 T8
    I believe that switch is for the heated seats to turn from 'off' to 'automatic'. Possibly only for one of them.

Renato Piereck
    Spreading the Saab virus rpiereck's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    '00 9-5 Aero SC, 87 900i 8v
    First, welcome to SAAB World!

I think a black top would look better, but since it's Arizone with its searing heat I would also consider the tan top.

Those references that s900t8v put are good places for parts. And Haynes does suck. I got my Bentley manual last night and it is great, I had forgotten what a well written auto repair manual looked like!

Fuse box under the seats sound fishy, but mine is an '87 with almost nothing elctric, so what do I know? Doesn't hurt to take a loo, but sounds odd.

The main problem on these cars is rust, everything else is easy to fix, but if the car has been in AZ all its life rust shouldn't be a problem (unless it's a Flagstaff car!).
    Now: '00 Saab 9-5 Aero Combi - '89 Peugeot 205 CTI - '91 Peugeot 309 GTI
    Gone: '87 Saab 900i - '95 Saab 900 SE Turbo

Paul K.
    Saab(s)
    No rust at all; "Elsa" was driven in Tucson and in Phoenix - we don't get snow. There are a few dings and paint chips, but I can get a paint pen from a Sherwin-Williams auto enamel place with which what should be an exact match (no more Saab dealerships, so what can you do?). I guess I can check under the seat - just a little awkward in a 2-door.

It'll take time to get things put right, but at least it's functional while we're working on it.
    Last edited by Badwolf; 31 May 2012 at 17:33. Reason: spelling

Renato Piereck
    Spreading the Saab virus rpiereck's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    '00 9-5 Aero SC, 87 900i 8v
    Quote Originally Posted by Badwolf View Post
    (no more Saab dealerships, so what can you do?)
    Well, Doctor Color Chip of course! They will sell you a bit of perfect match factory paint (so they say) for touch up, just enter paint code, or browse through year make and model to see available colors. A buddy of mine bought it for her new BMW M3, and it matched perfectly. I ordered the $39 Basic Touch Up Kit, and I am eagerly awaiting it. You don't get just the paint, you get 1/2 ounce OEM match paint, 1 ounce blending solution, a ultra paint brush, a nitrile glove, and a blending cloth. In the past I have been using clear finger nail polish to cover exposed metal chips, but I want to give this a try, make those chips disappear.

Dr.ColorChip Custom Automotive Touch-Up Paint Kit - Dr. ColorChip: Automotive Paint Chip Repair Systems
    Now: '00 Saab 9-5 Aero Combi - '89 Peugeot 205 CTI - '91 Peugeot 309 GTI
    Gone: '87 Saab 900i - '95 Saab 900 SE Turbo

Paul K.
    Saab(s)
    - Bentley manual arrived yesterday (6-2-12).
    - Got the speakers replaced at all 4 locations.
    - Got the head unit installed (sounds way better than it did)

Still have to properly secure the DIN sleeve
    Still have to install the Alpine Power Pack