Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Roger Cook
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2008 9-5 Aero, 2006 9-3SC 2.0T, 2000 Viggen 'vert, SAAB Quantum, 2000 9-5 retired at 318K miles

Adding HD Radio to the 2008 9-5 audio system

Is there any way to add HD Radio to our cars which are equipped with the GM audio system? I thought someone would make a tuner which would connect to any car audio system equipped with an MP3 input jack. With the generic GM head unit I thought this would be a quick and simple search. I can't find anything like that.

Saab(s)
    2003 Saab 9-5 Aero 2.3t Wagon HO Manual
    Don't know if you can adapt this or not, but it's interesting: The iSimple NuRadio (HDRT) - HD Radio Upgrade for the iSimple GateWay
    2003 Saab 9-5 Aero B235R
    Sport Wagon 2.3T HO Manual
    140,627 Miles

If you dig around on eBay, you can find the Visteon HD Jump for around $30. A couple of other companies made outboard units, too. All will need connections to your car's antenna.

I've also used Insignia's HD walkman-style radios with my Caddy. It uses the connector cord as an antenna. You may need to drape it over the mirror for better reception. For me, the Jump's the better choice. It has HD AM and, by jacking into the car's antenna, you get fewer dropouts.

Roger Cook
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2008 9-5 Aero, 2006 9-3SC 2.0T, 2000 Viggen 'vert, SAAB Quantum, 2000 9-5 retired at 318K miles
    I received a JVC KT-HDPK1, whichis their outboard KT-HDP1 packaged with a "Professional" installation kit. The instruction manual does contain a couple caveats, one that concerned me until reading your post above. Since the unit plugs into the MP3 jack, the instructions say cars turn off the windshield antenna whenever a non-broadcast source (CD / MP3) is selected. But since the unit intercepts the antenna cable prior to the radio I don't see how the car radio could turn off the antenna. Maybe turn off an antenna booster amplifier, but not the antenna.

You indicated no issues using an outboard unit in your 9-5 so I take that as a very positive sign.

And as for the "Professional Installation Kit". It consists of a dash mount for the HD Receiver, an epoxy filled junction block to split the antenna signal, one length of wire which may or may not be needed, and a length of spiral wrap to keep cords contained. Sure glad this kit was free!

Roger Cook
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    I am finally making progress! After randomly scouring the internet for antenna connection/adapter information for the 2006-2009 9-5 models over the past few weeks I found almost what I needed. I did find instructions for disconnecting the factory radio antenna wire from the head unit without damage, so I removed the radio completely and drove to the local car audio shop to see what they might have that would fit.

Luckily I hit them on a very slow day with the owner/manager in attendance. He asked about my car, what I was attempting to do, looked at my head unit which I had carried in with me, commented on the difficulty of doing anything to a Saab since no one seems to make pieces for their audio systems, said he sees a surprising number of Saabs in his shop - all looking to find a way to listen to Jazz stations which are completely absent on the Detroit airwaves, scoured the Metra and Scosche web sites, couldn't find any listing on Scosche for a 2008 Saab 9-5 and the items shown on the Metra site didn't look right to him.

He then took my head unit in the Shop Area of the store and emerged with two adapters which fit. One takes the European antenna cable connector and converts it to a male DIN, the other takes a Female DIN and converts it to the European antenna piece that matches the radio chassis. Both are Scosche parts, neither is listed as working on Saabs.

Schosche #VWA3B - 2002 BMW 5-Series & VW Antenna Adapter

Scosche #VWA3RB - 2002 and later VW Reverse Antenna Adapter

I plan to mount the JVC HD Adapter junction block on the side of my AC controller using double back foam tape, place the HD head unit in the mesh pocket in the front passenger side footwell, pick up the 12VDC from the rear power outlet, and supply the HD signal to the car's head unit via its front Aux In jack.

Photos will be forth coming after the camera batteries recharge.

BTW - the Duct Tape trick works great to remove the four plugs covering the radio mounting screws. No need to buy a $16 set of replacement plugs!
    Last edited by MI-Roger; 19 July 2012 at 01:21.

Roger Cook
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    Photo of the dash with the radio removed. Note the single wire which is the antenna, and you may be able to see the tracks in the rear of the radio opening which accomodates the rear radio mounting bracket.

Photos of the back of the radio. Note the antenna connector which is alone on the rear left side of the radio (right side in photo). The black bracket in the center of the radio slides into a track in the rear of the radio opening to support the back side of the radio.

The two antenna wire adapters I needed to complete the installation.

Last edited by MI-Roger; 19 July 2012 at 01:19.