Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Paul K.
    Saab(s)
    1990 Saab 900 Turbo Convertible

Light Switch replacement; Turn signal stalk weirdness

How hard is the replacement of the headlight switch in the dash ('90 900 convert)? Mine works fine, but it swivels in place (from what I have gotten in over the transom, this is a somewhat common problem) and if the fix is somewhat easy and straightforward, then I'll do it

Second - the turn signal stalk works fine for left hand turn signaling, but when you try to signal a right hand turn, it won't stay engaged much of the time - is this a simple issue or is this something that requires a major fix?

Thanks.

Masterfully Slow Learner SPGreg's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    Three SPGs
    Quote Originally Posted by Badwolf View Post
    How hard is the replacement of the headlight switch in the dash ('90 900 convert)? Mine works fine, but it swivels in place (from what I have gotten in over the transom, this is a somewhat common problem) and if the fix is somewhat easy and straightforward, then I'll do it

Second - the turn signal stalk works fine for left hand turn signaling, but when you try to signal a right hand turn, it won't stay engaged much of the time - is this a simple issue or is this something that requires a major fix?

Thanks.
    Headlight switches are fairly simple to replace (I assume they're the same on convertibles as hatchbacks). Just a matter of pulling or prying out (forward) the old one, unplugging it, and plugging in the new one. But I'm not sure what causes the swiveling issue & whether replacement would cure the problem. I'd probably try prying out the current switch and seeing what it would take to stop the swiveling.

I've not read of anyone fixing a turn signal stalk. Most guys just replace them as far as I can tell. I've seen them go for $50 or so on ebay when they have the cruise mechanism, which I assume yours would also have. Have you got a decent bone yard around? Replacement is easy (remove the lower cover by turning the plastic screws 1/4 turn, undo the two metal screws that hold the bracket for the signal and wiper arms to the column, unplug and replace).

Paul A
    Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    T16 '93 Ruby - T16 '94 Vert Ruby
    Quote Originally Posted by Badwolf View Post

Thanks.
    The headlight switch has pegs around the circumference which engage with slots in the dash moulding. This should prevent it turning. It either is not pushed in far enough or the pegs have broken off. This has never happened to me. It is fairly easy to prise the switch out of the dash to examine it. It has a plug at the back of it to connect to the wiring harness. You may need to get another switch if yours is damaged or just glue it in place neatly.

The turn signals frequently wear inside where the latching mechanism wears away on the frequently used portion. If you get another it may be just as bad. Many people repair them as I have done myself. If you are handy you can take them apart and grind new recesses in the casting with a dremel etc. There's a pic below showing what I mean. I can provide more info if required.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Renato Piereck
    Spreading the Saab virus rpiereck's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    '00 9-5 Aero SC, 87 900i 8v
    My headlight switch also swivels on the housing, hasn't bothered me too much, so it's on the backburner for being fixed. If you find a fix I'd like to know if it's an easy one.
    Now: '00 Saab 9-5 Aero Combi - '89 Peugeot 205 CTI - '91 Peugeot 309 GTI
    Gone: '87 Saab 900i - '95 Saab 900 SE Turbo

Paul K.
    Saab(s)
    1990 Saab 900 Turbo Convertible
    My initial thought was to use a spot of glue - just a dab to hold it in place. My mechanic friend suggested that this would be a bad idea, because it would be a bitch to remove if something really went wrong and you'd have to replace the switch. I know that some glues are easier to crack than others. I'm not talking about using gorilla glue in mass quantities here - just enough to keep it from spinning in place. Any suggestions from anyone who has done this? I mean Elmer's might be good enough - maybe. Just something to hold it in place.

And I'm assuming that the photo on the left is the "after" photo. What type of Dremel bit did you use on that? Simple grinding wheel or was it something special?

Paul A
    Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    T16 '93 Ruby - T16 '94 Vert Ruby
    Pull the switch out and see what's wrong. You may find you don't need glue.

On my screen there is no pic on the left. The pics are one above the other. Anyway the close up is the after pic and shows the two grooves each side which hold the mechanism in it's turn position. These have been made deeper with a hand Dremel with a small rotary file in the end. A small needle file might do the job but take longer. Below is a pic of the spring loaded plunger that engages with the groove.
    Attached Images Attached Images