Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

View Poll Results: Should SaabWorld expand?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, we need more options and broader range of brands and/or vehicles

4 17.39%
  • No, it should remain a Saab-only site

13 56.52%
  • Neutral, as long as the Saab part stays the same

6 26.09%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Dave T.
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-3SE (2013-2015), 2005 9-3 (2005-2013), 1990 900 (1990-2003)
    I was shocked and thought it was April Fool's Day! There are 3 articles on the front page. Rpiereck's Mercedes (ok, a loyal participant writing about his car), Volvo (ok, close to Saab), but BMW in Paris???

Consider a separate tab for other articles, especially since there is breaking news about Saab auctions! Actually, with a separate tab for other car articles, there is plenty to write about. Maybe add more forum sections as demand warrants. Maybe there could be a North American car, Japanese car, European car, and other car forums (Hyundai, Kia, Chinese brands, Mahindra, etc.) to start out.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    I am currently working on a bug in the CMS (Articles) section. It won't let me update the sections. All Saab articles only are in this section: SaabWorld - Saab

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    First off... real busy this summer. Most likely not going to work on the 96 at all; I need the money for other things, and I realistically don't have the tools I need to complete the next steps...

Back from the bird-walk:

I'm more in favor of keeping this a Saab only site. There are plenty of other generic Auto forums, and many that encompass automobiles, boats, motorcycles, ect. I always feel like I'm sifting through tons and tons of sub-forums, and sub-sub-forums. I've always like that everyone here has something in common. Sure, there aren't a lot of us, but we all share some weird passion that is known as Saab. Other people don't get that. If they did, BMW would be Saab and Saab would be BMW!

I have no problem, and even encouraging people talking about other projects they have going on. Whether that's the motorcycle they plan on driving across the country, or the kitchen they are re-doing, or pictures from that ski trip. It let's you get to know that person better, and see them as a person, and not just some robotic Saab fanatic. But they are still a Saab owner looking for help or participating in the community.

Just my too sense.
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig

Dave T.
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
    There are plenty of other generic Auto forums, and many that encompass automobiles, boats, motorcycles, ect. .....

I have no problem, and even encouraging people talking about other projects they have going on. Whether that's the motorcycle they plan on driving across the country, or the kitchen they are re-doing, or pictures from that ski trip.
    A possible compromise is to separate it a little, perhaps the articles and one forum. If it starts to become popular, then it can be re-thought.

Another possibility is to add a second car company. One Saab indie in Seattle added Subaru at the time of the 9-2X. If so, I wouldn't mind Saab-and-BMW-World.net or Saab-and-Audi-World.net. Saab-and-Acura-World.net is a possibility. Saab-and-Subaru-World.net is a 4th choice.

Yet another possibility is to add a forum as "Other Cars" and see if it has any traffic.

I wonder how many of us will stay European and how many will go Japanese? I don't mind the Ford name but there is no Ford that I want. The Ford Focus looks nice but I think it probably drives like a plain car. If we all stay European, and I don't think that is likely, then Saabworld could evolve into Euroworld.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2003 9³ Arc
    I'm also in favor of this being a Saab site but with room for others. The moment Saab is dropped in the site identity, it becomes one of gazillion other automobile blogs/sites/forums...

Frank
    Saab(s)
    While the domain will change to automobileworld.org, it will still be possible to give each manufacturer sub section its own identity with a different theme/header. And have a uniform site identity for the Automobile World and Other Worlds sections.

For example, the main Automobiles section has its own header: Automobiles

The Saab section has all the sub forums we currently already have set up (empty in this test area) and different header saab.automobileworld.org If you're only interested in Saab, this is the only section you need to visit to have everything in one place.

Volvo is different again with no sub forums yet, just existing threads. Volvo

Mercedes-Benz http://saabworld.net/f174/my-experie...es-benz-26362/

Each manufacturer forum can start out small and add subsections for each model when needed. Or not.

Dave T.
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Wulfers View Post
    While the domain will change to automobileworld.org, it will still be possible to give each manufacturer sub section its own identity with a different theme/header. And have a uniform site identity for the Automobile World and Other Worlds sections..
    I've heard that google search algorithms do not follow a new URL. If true, saabworld.net should remain here. If we want to have links to automobileworld.org for other cars, this is ok. (For example, if one clicks certain forums, it links to automobileworld.org).

If we want to venture to an area slowly, perhaps European delivery might be a topic? For a first series of articles, we could write about different programs. There is not much online competition so users could be lured into here because they are interested in European delivery and eventually stay. But to get readers of all cars and not have initial expertise in many brands, automobileworld.org may be unsuccessful. For example, what if a MINI owner asks a question about their water pump or a Toyota Yaris driver asks about their dashboard. Will there be another reader to respond? In contrast, Saabworld started with a dozen very active Saab drivers along with a few dozen curious Saab drivers who used to post in Saab Central.

Mark Niskanen
    Saab(s)
    '04 9-3 ARC SS, 04 9-5 Aero Combi
    I kinda like it. What about something like mygarage.net. you could build a single profile with all of your toys and have conversations across many different groups of users... i'm thinking about garage talk, could be your cars, bikes, tools, and related toys. This way it could start as a show-n-tell/ chat type community and slowly, hopefully, grow to be more of a support commmunity for all garage potatos.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    I've heard that google search algorithms do not follow a new URL. If true, saabworld.net should remain here. If we want to have links to automobileworld.org for other cars, this is ok. (For example, if one clicks certain forums, it links to automobileworld.org).
    We rank very good in search engines, considering we're only a few years young. And we definitely want to keep the existing ranking, no question about that. There are a few procedures to follow when moving to a new domain name. One is in Google Webmaster tools where SaabWorld is set up. You basically give Google a change of address notice and they will update their database for all links.

Another way is using 301 re-directs to tell anyone visiting the site of the address change and automatically forward to the right page on the new domain. If done right, there shouldn't be a problem with search engines.

How to Properly Change Your Domain Name Without SEO Penalties

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    But to get readers of all cars and not have initial expertise in many brands, automobileworld.org may be unsuccessful. For example, what if a MINI owner asks a question about their water pump or a Toyota Yaris driver asks about their dashboard. Will there be another reader to respond? In contrast, Saabworld started with a dozen very active Saab drivers along with a few dozen curious Saab drivers who used to post in Saab Central.
    Quote Originally Posted by niskanem View Post
    I kinda like it. What about something like mygarage.net. you could build a single profile with all of your toys and have conversations across many different groups of users... i'm thinking about garage talk, could be your cars, bikes, tools, and related toys. This way it could start as a show-n-tell/ chat type community and slowly, hopefully, grow to be more of a support commmunity for all garage potatos.
    Exactly. I don't even imagine it will replace any other brand or model specific forum when it comes to advice on fixing technical problems. In the beginning, it's more like social hangouts where we can learn and talk about other brands. Read news, document restoration projects, post pictures and so on. And with that kind of content, perhaps new members will sign up for those forums and join in. Some new people may want something different from the established forums.

Alex Andrews (Lex)
    Saab(s)
    ‘02 9-5 Aero, ‘16 Skoda Superb SE-L Exec.
    Hey, I've just put the only 2 stickers on my car in the past 3 weeks. One's the SAABWORLD.NET on the rear screen and a GB sticker. The car's earnt both, through hard work and because it's an individual against many. Not sure what i'm trying to say but, going with a more generic name could wipe out the individualism of the site. I'm not saying don't expand and diversify, just do it steady and remember the core demographic. US LOT. Is this a pre-cursor to a buy out like on SAABCENTRAL???. I saw a 95 estate from the 70's on eBay the other day. When I looked I thought if that was an old Renault, would I get the same help and enthuism for restoration? er No. Here yes. I think that what makes this site different from everything else.

Just a thought.
    More things change. The more they stay the same.