Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Saab(s)
    Saab sedan 2000 95
    Thank you for that. There has been a further development since yesterday. I found that by pushing that "sort of secret" release button down next to the gear selector I was able to get it out of "P" i.e. park. As soon as that happened I was able to turn the key in the ignition from LOCK to OFF. That meant that I could now do what Frank said in the earlier post with all those great pictures and wiggle the allen key in through that hole and press the barrel release lever and out came the barrel. I was able to get a replacement barrel with matching key from my local SAAB wreckers for $130. As you know the key has a chip sealed in its plastic head and this passive chip has to be coded and matched to the antenna next to the ignition key. I can get my local SAAB dealer to do the matching as he has the electronic gizmo to do that. Whether I will still have aproblem with the shift linkage I don't yet know. I will have to see how it goes when I get it back from the workshop hopefully later today after they match the new key to the car.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-3
    Quote Originally Posted by Merv View Post
    Thank you for that. There has been a further development since yesterday. I found that by pushing that "sort of secret" release button down next to the gear selector I was able to get it out of "P" i.e. park. As soon as that happened I was able to turn the key in the ignition from LOCK to OFF. That meant that I could now do what Frank said in the earlier post with all those great pictures and wiggle the allen key in through that hole and press the barrel release lever and out came the barrel. I was able to get a replacement barrel with matching key from my local SAAB wreckers for $130. As you know the key has a chip sealed in its plastic head and this passive chip has to be coded and matched to the antenna next to the ignition key. I can get my local SAAB dealer to do the matching as he has the electronic gizmo to do that. Whether I will still have aproblem with the shift linkage I don't yet know. I will have to see how it goes when I get it back from the workshop hopefully later today after they match the new key to the car.
    Ahhh, you have an Automatic.

Saab(s)
    Saab sedan 2000 95
    Yes, Sorry if I didn't make that clear on my original post.
    Thanks very much for responding.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2004 Saab 9-5 Aero
    Quote Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
    Update to my December 17th posting regarding a failing ignition lock cylinder.

I ordered the new cylinder on Dec 17th and it arrived on January 25th, almost 6 weeks later. Cost for a new cylinder keyed to my car was only $45 USD. I brought my Vehicle Title with me to the Dealership as proof of legal ownership was required to process the order. Installation required under a minute and everything works properly now. The new cylinder does not have a dust door and neither does the old cylinder. I seem to remember the cylinder on my 2000 9-5 had a spring closing door to keep debris out of the ignition cylinder, so maybe ignition cylinder replacement will become a common task for owners.

My new cylinder has the key code written on the side of the barrel in permanent ink, such as a Sharpie pen, but the original cylinder did not. The fine engraving on the side of the barrel was not the Key code.
    So the key cylinders are specific to keys? I figured it was down to the chip in the key.
    2004 Saab 95 Aero Stage 1+

Roger Cook
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2008 9-5 Aero, 2006 9-3SC 2.0T, 2000 Viggen 'vert, SAAB Quantum, 2000 9-5 retired at 318K miles
    All lock cylinders and keys are mated to each other. You will need to either replace all cylinders and keys with a matched set, or buy the individual cylinder or key (or have one custom cut or assembled) by use of the VIN.

There is a key chip which is read by the immobilizer coil located in the ignition key surround. This immobilizer coil is connected to the TWICE unit and the TWICE can be programmed to accept new keys, but only a total of four keys or two additional keys in addition to the two keys supplied with the car when new.

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    I just removed the brass dogs form the ignition cylinder on one of my 9-5's. Why? I only have one key and am not going to pay the dealership to get me a new key. ($503+tx) I'm just taking the easy cheap way out.
    This way I have one key for two cars. (I could have also bought a similar used key and just have it programmed.)
    One less key on my ring is good news to me.
    The only drawback I foresee to having one key for both cars is when I unlock them in the drive they both unlock. Same for locking and hatch.
    I will just lock the other car and the one I'm in before I leave home.
    Here are some pictures.
    Note: When removing the cylinder from the car I found the catch that has to be pushed was located at the top of the access hole. The key must be turned to the OFF position.
    Watch removing the white bottom piece. It is spring loaded! So is everything else in the cylinder!
    Attached Images Attached Images       
    Last edited by Finding41; 21 September 2013 at 04:11. Reason: add OFF

Saab(s)
    !999 saab 9-5
    Quote Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
    Update to my December 17th posting regarding a failing ignition lock cylinder.

I ordered the new cylinder on Dec 17th and it arrived on January 25th, almost 6 weeks later. Cost for a new cylinder keyed to my car was only $45 USD. I brought my Vehicle Title with me to the Dealership as proof of legal ownership was required to process the order. Installation required under a minute and everything works properly now. The new cylinder does not have a dust door and neither does the old cylinder. I seem to remember the cylinder on my 2000 9-5 had a spring closing door to keep debris out of the ignition cylinder, so maybe ignition cylinder replacement will become a common task for owners.

My new cylinder has the key code written on the side of the barrel in permanent ink, such as a Sharpie pen, but the original cylinder did not. The fine engraving on the side of the barrel was not the Key code.
    Would you mind sharing the name of the dealer? I would like to order one if they will ship. Thanks

Roger Cook
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2008 9-5 Aero, 2006 9-3SC 2.0T, 2000 Viggen 'vert, SAAB Quantum, 2000 9-5 retired at 318K miles
    Quote Originally Posted by gregk View Post
    Would you mind sharing the name of the dealer? I would like to order one if they will ship. Thanks
    I ordered from Suburban Chevrolet Cadillac (and formerly Saab) in Ann Arbor, MI. They required me to present my Vehicle Title at time of ordering to be certain the car was legally mine.

Saab(s)
    !999 saab 9-5
    Thanks, MI-Roger. With much jiggling and fussing I was able to get my cylinder out and take it apart. Inside slot of wafers is apparently worn. I was able to put half of them in different slots in the cylinder and make it work for now. Left out other half of wafers that would not work in any slots. Will contact Suburban and see if they'll take a fax of title. If they're still $45 it would be worth it to get a brand new cylinder.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Aero 95 2001 wagon/estate
    Hi, I would like to thank everyone for their help, especially Frank & SAABViking. My key would not turn in the ignition 6 days ago so I called for assistance (RAA) & they got it moving. It was tight and then I couldnt remotely lock the car and had to manually turn off the assesories etc. After trying various auto locksmiths & wreckers (including Melbourne none in Adelaide), I got anything from cylinder to dashboard removal, to having another set of keys and around average cost $450 if they had the parts... I followed the instructions above and got it moving better, then repeated it again last night to get the cylinder to expend out when I removed the key, and now everything works. Cost $ nothing, time no more than an hour each time.
    This website has helped me so much as anything European they charge an arm and a leg in Adelaide, and the GM dealerships dont want to touch anything SAAB related or if they do, they alsocharge an arm and a leg.. thanks again Wax