Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Saab(s)
    2006 9-5 sport combi
    Thank you for the additional info. I still could not get it out. I figured I would dry some teflon spray. I spayed a small amount on the outer edges of the barrel and some inside the key hole. I worked the key a few times and then it popped out. So, I am set for now. Thanks again for the quick replies.
    Dan

Saab(s)
    2006 9-5 sport combi
    Well the cylinder was stuck again after 2 uses. I tried to remove it again and it worked if I pushed the key in then pushed with the Allen wrench then pulled out the cylinder.
    I took out the pin and cleaned it. It still hung up. I took out the inner piece and leaned that. Now, when I put it back it would not turn. I removed all of the keyed pieces, cleaned and reinstalled the pin and it works! Thanks for the help all.

Saab(s)
    2006 Saab 9-5 Wagon
    I know this is an old thread, but I have a related problem. and hope someone here can help.

my problem is when I turn the key to start, I have to turn it all the way to the start and with lots of force to start it. if I just casually turn the key, it will not start. it has gotten worse and worse to the point where I have to try 2 to 3 times to start my car. I came across some posts and this one about how to remove the lock cylinder, so I was able to do this, and clean it with some graphite cleaner and spray some grease into the cylinder - I did not take apart the cylinder (yet) hoping cleaning and greasing would help but it did not. so my next step would be take apart the cylinder and figure out if certain tumblers or other parts need to be filed down in order for the key to turn more easily.
    anyone has encountered this same problem and if you did, please let me know what you did to resolve this issue. thanks in advance!

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Quote Originally Posted by 808saab20 View Post
    I know this is an old thread, but I have a related problem. and hope someone here can help.

my problem is when I turn the key to start, I have to turn it all the way to the start and with lots of force to start it. if I just casually turn the key, it will not start. it has gotten worse and worse to the point where I have to try 2 to 3 times to start my car. I came across some posts and this one about how to remove the lock cylinder, so I was able to do this, and clean it with some graphite cleaner and spray some grease into the cylinder - I did not take apart the cylinder (yet) hoping cleaning and greasing would help but it did not. so my next step would be take apart the cylinder and figure out if certain tumblers or other parts need to be filed down in order for the key to turn more easily.
    anyone has encountered this same problem and if you did, please let me know what you did to resolve this issue. thanks in advance!
    Before you go mucking about with the lock cylinder you might want to consider that the ignition switch itself would be the most likely cause of the problem as described.

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    Before you go mucking about with the lock cylinder you might want to consider that the ignition switch itself would be the most likely cause of the problem as described.
    Yep. Check the part that the cylinder fits into at the bottom. Also check the end of the cylinder. Is it worn?
    Good luck.
    finding41
    Marty Jackson
    www.northchannelcharters.com

Saab(s)
    2006 Saab 9-5 Wagon
    Quote Originally Posted by Finding41 View Post
    Yep. Check the part that the cylinder fits into at the bottom. Also check the end of the cylinder. Is it worn?
    Good luck.
    hmmm. ok darn. I actually ordered a ignition lock cylinder from eeuroparts and wasn't going to muck around w/ mine until I got it in. so my problem sounds like it's the ignition switch? I found some posts on saab central and will follow those. sounds to be so much harder than the cylinder replacement, but oh well.
    thanks guys!

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    hmmm. ok darn. I actually ordered a ignition lock cylinder from eeuroparts and wasn't going to muck around w/ mine until I got it in. so my problem sounds like it's the ignition switch? I found some posts on saab central and will follow those. sounds to be so much harder than the cylinder replacement, but oh well.
    thanks guys!
    The job gets a lot easier when you have an idea of what things look like before you start and you could save yourself a couple of hours by downloading the EPC for the line art parts drawings and WIS for how to instructions.

Saab(s)
    2006 Saab 9-5 Wagon
    Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    The job gets a lot easier when you have an idea of what things look like before you start and you could save yourself a couple of hours by downloading the EPC for the line art parts drawings and WIS for how to instructions.
    where can I download these? thanks.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    where can I download these? thanks.
    Check this thread for more information: http://saabworld.net/showthread.php?t=33310