Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Saab(s)
    2005 Saab 9-5 Aero auto.

A/C and drivability issues...little long

So I rarely use the a/c unless it's 92 degrees like today. One reason is the lack of performance, the other is the load it puts on the accessories. I'm like that, oh well. I definitely notice alot more drone when accelerating and coasting. I usually don't kick it down ( auto) a gear or two at hwy. speeds, but I found myself locked in the right lane, w/one car in the left not passing (of course) and a car in front of me. I had a hole shot to get through, so I punched it moderately.
    When I did this I looked back in my rearview and saw a puff of black/maybe blue combination of smoke. I immediately let off throttle and continued to coast. No further problems the rest of way home, although I wasn't doing any spirited driving. I don't get this result w/the a/c off, so what is the relationship here?
    Also, I set the temp to 64 in auto mode which after a few seconds kicks the recirc. in. I noticed that the recirc. icon went off when the cabin reached it's desired temp, w/about 3 bars on the fan. But oddly the air still felt like the recirc. was still on. I would expect the warm/cool air combo. that feels like crap in hot weather. I like the fact that I'm getting enclosed cool air when in fact I shouldn't be. I pushed the recirc. button just to see if it went bad, and sure enough the icon came on the display. I never and never will like the power sapping that occurs w/ a/c on working off a 4 cylinder.

Oh and to further my nit pick type personality, I pop my hood everyday I get home and shut it the next morning. My therory is since these engines get so friggin
    hot, the faster the heat dissipates the better. Better how? I don't know, but thats just me. Almost 102K and nothing more than plugs, cps, diverter valve, and the basic stuff. I'm a little surprised that my battery and alt. are still pulling maximum amperage w/these miles. Thanks for feedback!

Renato Piereck
    Spreading the Saab virus rpiereck's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    '00 9-5 Aero SC, 87 900i 8v
    I can't even feel the a/c in my 9-5. I mean, it works, it blow very cold, but there is no load on the engine, maybe it's barely perceptible, but on or off the car feels the same. You can feel it when the compressor kicks in, but it's more like a light hiccup.
    Now: '00 Saab 9-5 Aero Combi - '89 Peugeot 205 CTI - '91 Peugeot 309 GTI
    Gone: '87 Saab 900i - '95 Saab 900 SE Turbo

Saab(s)
    2005 Saab 9-5 Aero auto.
    I wouldn't say it's a dog w/the a/c on, but I definitely can tell that performance w/it on and off is quite noticeable. It's running at it's full potential normally.....turbo, etc.... I will have to check amps w/the a/c on just to see how much of a diff. there is. But that is not going to be real world accurate because it's not under full load driving.

Saab(s)
    2005 Saab 9-5 Aero auto.
    Filled my tank up today and didn't have the lag that I did yesterday. I was at 1/4 full prior. I do notice as the tank gets around this mark and a tad lower that things
    just aren't 100%. When i fill up it's as if I put 98 octane in it. Although I can only get 93 around here.

Renato Piereck
    Spreading the Saab virus rpiereck's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    '00 9-5 Aero SC, 87 900i 8v
    Maybe your gas tank is dirty on the inside? With lower fuel levels you are probably picking up some impurities.
    Last edited by rpiereck; 29 June 2012 at 06:04.
    Now: '00 Saab 9-5 Aero Combi - '89 Peugeot 205 CTI - '91 Peugeot 309 GTI
    Gone: '87 Saab 900i - '95 Saab 900 SE Turbo

Saab(s)
    2005 Saab 9-5 Aero auto.
    That could very well be R. I use premium solely, and I'm getting 31-32 hwy, 26-27 city consistently. Thought about changing out the fuel filter, but I'm
    not thinking it's necessary yet. I'll just start filling up as it nears the 1/4 mark.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    When was the last time the fuel filter was changed? It's a cheap part and easy to replace so you might as well start with that. Sometimes one larger issue is several smaller issues combined.

Saab(s)
    2005 Saab 9-5 Aero auto.
    I bought the car w/60K on it. I have a fuel filter on hand, but then when I went to read up on the procedure I became a little concerned.
    A few have stated they had starting issues once it was replaced. Also something about the fittings on our year v.s. earlier years tend to be
    a little more difficult to fit.
    Did you pull your fuel pump fuse while the car was running to change yours out? Is there any need for concern letting the car stall and then
    having the fuel pump prime back up again? I know there is a more involved method of releasing the pressure........other than that a/c issue
    I'm getting great gas mileage, performance is top notch, normal driving is very linear.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    I can add a tutorial for the fuel filter. I took all the pictures when I did mine a few months ago but haven't gotten around to it to add it to the site. Should be available this evening.

I replaced filters with both the old and new fittings. Not much difference but you need a fuel line release tool for the new type of quick-connect lines.

With 40K+ miles on your current filter, it's best to start with that.

Frank
    Saab(s)