Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    After an awesome drive (or ride) up the mountain made it to the summit.

As you can imagine, spectacular 360 degree views.

It stopped raining but more clouds were closing in. And another thunderstorm wasn't far behind.

Food place and gift shop. You notice the air is very thin up here. I was lightheaded several times after just a short walk. I never experienced that before.

The new Subaru BRZ. Looks great in person and it seems like it would be a blast to drive up and down Pikes Peak.

I was glad I took some pictures when I first got at the top because the rain didn't stop. It's interesting to see lightning bolts coming from clouds below you. So bak down the mountain again.

It was close to 6:00pm and the road down was quiet. That's one advantage of the crappy weather. Nice to go into turns a little bit faster and stretch the Saab's legs a little bit. Still very cautious though because you don't want to miss a turn and the last words that come out of your mouth is Oh sh..

From Pikes Peak, I headed to Salida about 120 miles away where I booked a motel. The rain cleared and it was a pleasant evening drive.

Did I mention you will see pictures of a Saab without any apparent reason? Wide open spaces, I could live here.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    You are probably familiar with Pikes Peak and a certain Saab challenge if you're a Saab aficionado but for the others that don't know..

I think it took me just a little bit longer to reach the top. The entire road is paved these days.

http://saabworld.net/f102/per-eklund...e-article-838/

Jeff
    Saab(s)
    Saab 9.3 conv 2002 , Saab 900T16 1989, Saab 900T8 1981 , Saab 99CC 1977, Saab 95V4 1969 , Saab 96
    Beautiful topic ! Awesome photos !

Renato Piereck
    Spreading the Saab virus rpiereck's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    '00 9-5 Aero SC, 87 900i 8v
    I have seen so many Pikes Peak race videos to know those curves! Too bad on the two times I drove through Colorado I missed going there.

Per Eklund's Pikes Peak SAAB 9-3 is a beast with over 800 hp and four wheel drive. Insane!
    Now: '00 Saab 9-5 Aero Combi - '89 Peugeot 205 CTI - '91 Peugeot 309 GTI
    Gone: '87 Saab 900i - '95 Saab 900 SE Turbo

Frank
    Saab(s)
    Internet access hasn't been very good at the campgrounds and most hotels so it is time for another update. After Pikes Peak, I drove through Telluride, CO and ended up in Mesa Verde National Park. I think I heard about it but never realized how beautiful it is.

Telluride, a well-known town for winter activities like skiing. Weather was kind of crappy and it was the 4th of July so very busy. I walked around a bit but didn't spend too much time there.

Wonderful driving roads and scenery from the mountains towards the desert. Still quite a bit of rain and didn't quite feel like summer yet.

The entrance to Mesa Verde.

The road goes up into the mountains quickly and the views are amazing.

I didn't have any reservations for the campground and I was a bit worried the place would be full. It was the 4th of July week after all and prime summer vacation time. Well... no need to worry! This campground is very big (500+ sites) and I found a spot as far away from others as possible.

Anywhere you drive in the park, the next view is even more amazing than the previous.

Camper van from Switzerland. I also saw a huge Mann truck converted to camper with German plates.

Mesa Verde is know for the many cliff dwellings. You can see quite a few from the park roads and the largest require a tour with a park ranger. A bit busy but still very interesting to see. These tours require reservations and are $3 each. There was a huge line (looked like 1+ hour waiting time) at the visitors center for these tickets in the morning so I went back early afternoon and got tickets for a 4:30pm tour and one for the next morning.

There are a few places to eat in the park and I expected busy places with overpriced average unhealthy food. But I was quite surprised they served great sandwiches/burgers and the local specialty Navajo Taco. It is a flat bread topped with things like lettuce, tomato, salsa, sour cream and other stuff. Choice of beef, chicken or vegitarian. Delicious, fresh and quite a large portion for $8.

More wide open views from the restaurant and parking lot.

The largest dwelling Cliff Palace.

I stayed there for 2 nights and headed back down the mountain again. Very cool to see weather develop many miles away.

So that was Mesa Verde. An awesome place to visit and relax for a while. On to new road trip adventures.

Renato Piereck
    Saab(s)
    Very nice Frank! I was in Mesa Verde years ago and it sure is breathtaking!

Frank
    Saab(s)
    And the road trip continued towards Monument Valley. One of those places we all know from pictures and a place I always wanted to see. Between Mesa Verde, I took a little detour past Shiprock, a huge rock in the middle of the desert.

The road towards the Valley (which isn't actually a valley) already has some interesting looking rocks.

And the first sight of the main area.

It was already towards the end of the day so I found a spot at the only campground in the area. Not very big sites but there were plenty left.

As the sun was setting, I went back to the main road because the sun was casting some beautiful light on the rocks.

The following day, the first stop was the visitor center where you're greeted with an awesome view.

There is a dirt road that loops through the area. It's a slow ride, especially with a car. One of those times I wish I had a crossover or SUV. But the Saab handled it fun, as long as you're very careful and take your time. The views are definitely worth it.

This is John Ford's Point and the Navajo on the horse is real. A bit touristy but still a pretty cool sight. You could have your picture taken on the horse for $2.

Those rock walls look massive when you're standing near it.

You can see the car if you look closely.

Lunch break in the shadow of a tree with a magnificent view.

And the views continued.

I think it took about 3-4 hours to do the 15 mile loop and stop many times to take in all the views. And I had to take it slow because of the bad road. But it was definitely worth it. The pictures only give an impression of this amazing place. You have to go there yourself to really experience this natural wonder.

Renato Piereck
    Saab(s)
    One hell of a trip, Frank!! I am jealous.

Are you headed into California? I can recommend a few places in Mojave desert.

How hot was in Monument Valley? It's one of the places I wanted to visit in Arizona but never got to.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    06' 9-5 Sportcombi, 06' Sport Sedan
    Looks like a great trip Frank and thanks for the amazing photos!!!

If I knew you were coiming thru Colorado Springs I could have taken you out for some good chow.

Oh and the probably the reason why Pikes Peak was a little dead is because of all of the evacuations from the fires.

Have a safe trip Frank!

Frank
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rpiereck View Post
    Are you headed into California? I can recommend a few places in Mojave desert.

How hot was in Monument Valley? It's one of the places I wanted to visit in Arizona but never got to.
    No, I am not headed to California. I have seen quite a few places in CA, AZ and NV when I lived in SoCal and there already is enough to see and and do in the Southwest. It has't really been that hot in most places I have been. Monument Valley was hot (90s) but not uncomfortable. And there is no humidity so that's a good thing as well.

Quote Originally Posted by toxicavenger View Post
    Looks like a great trip Frank and thanks for the amazing photos!!!

If I knew you were coiming thru Colorado Springs I could have taken you out for some good chow.
    I knew you live in Colorado but for some reason, I thought you lived north of Denver. Didn't spend any time in Colorado Springs though, as I always seems to be running out of time on my way to other places. Too many places to see, to little time!