Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X

Fuel filter change / replacement - gasoline/petrol engine - Saab 9-5

The fuel filter is located in front of the left rear wheel on the bottom of the outside chassis. The instructions below are for filters with banjo couplings. In the middle of model year 2005, they changed to a different kind of filter in North America. This filter has quick-connect fuel lines and requires a special, inexpensive tool. I am not sure why they call it quick-connect because it took me quite a while to figure out how to use the tool and go out and buy one in the first place. See the next posts for the WIS instructions and more information about this different type of filter and fuel line connections.

Parts needed:

Fuel filter and 4 sealing washers
    Tie wrap, 14" / 36 cm or longer

Tools needed:

Wrenches/spanners. I think I remember it was 17 and 19 mm for the banjo bolts.
    Tool to cut the tie wrap
    Socket with ratchet for the filter clamp
    Container to catch the fuel

Time estimate: 30 - 60 minutes

Difficulty: 1 - very easy. Keep in mind you're working with fuel so take safety precautions. Protective eyewear is recommended because fuel can splash when the fuel lines are removed.

Important
    Half way through the 2005 model year, Saab started to use a different type of fuel filter. Check your car to make sure what type of filter you need or use the VIN to determine.

Filter for model years 1998 to 2005
    For fuel filter up to chassis number 53507522 - EU/RoW
    For fuel filter up to chassis number 53510415 - US/CA

Name:  P1130066.jpg
Views: 19260
Size:  62.7 KB

Filter for model years 2005 to 2009
    For fuel filter from chassis number 53507523 - EU/RoW
    For fuel filter from chassis number 53510416 - US/CA

Important Note:
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Lauzze View Post
    '06+ cars don't have a serviceable fuel filter. They switched to that 9-3 Sport Sedan style pump and even went so far as to remove the cut-out in the floor for easy of access so the tank needs to be dropped in order to replace level senders/pumps.
    Name:  fule filter 6.jpg
Views: 18994
Size:  23.1 KB

Fuel line disconnect tool

Name:  fuel line disconnect tool.jpg
Views: 19644
Size:  11.0 KB

Instructions for model year 1998 - 2005 1/2:
    (scroll down to read instructions for the quick-connect fuel filter)

Use car ramps for the rear wheels or jack up the right rear of the car. Make sure to always use jack stands or other support when working on a car that has been lifted with a jack.

Name:  P1130067.jpg
Views: 19069
Size:  99.1 KB

Remove the fuse panel cover on the dash.

Name:  P1130073.jpg
Views: 20213
Size:  71.8 KB

The fuel pressure needs to be reduced from the system because otherwise you will have an unpleasant surprise of fuel spraying everywhere when you try to undo the fuel lines from the filter.

With the engine running, remove fuse #15 - 20A - yellow. This will turn off the fuel pump and the engine should shut off in a few seconds or less. Turn off the ignition off and put the fuse back in.

Name:  P1130075.jpg
Views: 20936
Size:  88.2 KB

Name:  P1130077.jpg
Views: 19446
Size:  98.6 KB

The fuel filter splash guard is clipped on the fuel filter itself and is held in place with a tie wrap.

Name:  P1130072.jpg
Views: 19439
Size:  64.2 KB

Cut the tie wrap and remove the guard.

Name:  P1130081.jpg
Views: 18685
Size:  71.0 KB

Loosen the front fuel line (upper right arrow). Fuel will start to come out so have a container to catch the fuel. It is probably more than you expect so using a rag won't be sufficient.

Name:  P1130083.jpg
Views: 20227
Size:  81.9 KB

Name:  P1130091.jpg
Views: 18685
Size:  106.9 KB

Remove the front and rear fuel lines when most of the fule has come out. Take out the bolt for the filter clamp and remove the filter.

View from the back with rear fuel line.

Name:  P1130086.jpg
Views: 18660
Size:  86.1 KB

Use the new sealing washers for the fuel lines and put back together in reverse order. Note the arrow on the filter for the fuel flow direction. This should point towards the front of the car. The banjo bolts for the fuel lines are different sizes so you can't really put it together the wrong way.

Name:  P1130096.jpg
Views: 20156
Size:  63.5 KB

Start the engine and check for leaks.

Use a new tie wrap (or two) to secure the splash guard.

Name:  P1130157.jpg
Views: 18455
Size:  55.7 KB

Frank
    Saab(s)
    Name:  fuel filter 1.gif
Views: 18270
Size:  21.7 KB

Name:  fuel filter 2.gif
Views: 18363
Size:  18.2 KB

For fuel filter up to chassis number 53507522 - EU/RoW
    For fuel filter up to chassis number 53510415 - US/CA

To remove

1. Reduce the fuel pressure by removing fuel pump fuse no. 15 while the engine is idling. Turn off the ignition once the engine has stopped and replace the fuse.

2. Remove the fuel filter splash guard.

3. Drain the fuel from the filter before removing it.

4. Undo the banjo couplings on either side of the filter.

Name:  fuel filter 3.gif
Views: 18565
Size:  21.0 KB

5. Undo the filter clamp.

6. Remove the filter.

To fit

Important
    Check the sealing washers before fitting. If necessary replace with new sealing washers.

1. Fit the filter with clamps. Make note of the direction of flow.

2. Fit the banjo couplings on either side of the filter.

Tightening torque: 21 Nm (16 lbf ft)

3. Fit the fuel filter splash guard.

4. Check for leaks around the fuel line's banjo couplings on the fuel filter when the engine is running.

For fuel filter from chassis number 53507523 - EU/RoW
    For fuel filter from chassis number 53510416 - US/CA

To remove

1. Reduce the fuel pressure by removing fuel pump fuse no. 15 while the engine is idling. Turn off the ignition once the engine has stopped and replace the fuse.

2. Drain the fuel from the filter before removing it.

3. Remove the fuel lines from the fuel filter and plug the lines. Only remove the fuel lines once no more fuel drains out.

Remove the quick couplines with 83 95 261 Tool, fuel line

Name:  fuel filter 5.gif
Views: 18110
Size:  7.6 KB.

4. Undo the filter clamp.

5. Remove the filter.

To fit

1. Fit a new fuel filter. Fit and tighten the filter clamp. Make note of the direction of flow.

2. Remove the plugs. Connect the fuel lines to the fuel filter with quick couplings.

3. Check for leaks around the fuel line's quick couplings on the fuel filter when the engine is running.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Saab(s)
    2005 Saab 9-5 Aero auto.

How to remove fuel filter with quick connect fittings

Most tutorials show the banjo bolt end styles. Easy of course......2 open end wrenches and your done. I found out that some Ford models have the same type of fittings our cars have using the same tool. Forget about the scissor type. Get a Lisle brand 39420 3/8" plastic angle tool.

This is what you do:

1.The end of the tool is split down the middle. Simply push the end of it over the fuel filter nipple ( or spread it) and it will clamp on automatically.

2.Push the tool into the line fitting snug. Take your left hand and push the fuel line fitting toward the fuel filter as your using the tool to push "toward" the fuel line. Ease up on pushing the fuel line toward the filter, but keep putting pressure toward the line. There is no need to twist the tool. The inside of the fuel line fitting has two metal tabs inside of it-this is what you are pushing to free the line.

3. The back nipple ( toward back of car) and fitting is a closer gap than the front. Get the tool started onto the nipple and line it up w/the fitting. You may be able to wedge it into the fitting a little but it won't go in like the front. I took a small wide end flathead screwdriver and hammer and gently tapped the tool end until it snapped into the fitting. Being plastic you have the flexibility, but not w/the typical aluminum type shown on many sites to remove the filter. Push and push and your lines are free.

I removed the lines w/the filter still bolted to the body of the car. This IMO allows for greater leverage to remove the lines because your not holding the filter along w/everything else. This tool was 4.00. There are some that go for 25.00, but you don't need them.

Hope this helps anybody having frustrations like I did on how to remove our quick connect setup. Oh, and don't smoke a cigarette while doing this or use any other type of flammable substance. Props to Frank for the original tutorial, but I like most, really couldn't figure out the proper method on how to use the tool w/our quick connect type ends.

Install of new filter is pretty straightforward. Install filter into bracket and screw into underbody. Keep it loose so you can adjust the filter to fit onto the fittings properly. The fittings will snap onto the nipple ends of the filter.

No need to use the plastic fittings that come w/a new filter. I have a Mann filter installed. Make sure your "flow arrow" on the filter is pointing toward front of car. Tighten your bracket and the rest is cake. I bought my Lisle tool at O'Reilley, as Autozone or Advance don't carry this brand.

Refer to Frank's write up to get things started and other tools/safety for this job.
    Last edited by nordwulf; 24 July 2012 at 03:24. Reason: Merged with fuel filter thread

Frank
    Saab(s)
    IndpMind's instructions for the quick connect fittings are spot on. I changed mine last weekend and this time it was much easier with the above instructions.

Mine didn't have a plastic cover like the earlier model with the other filter. Is this normal and did Saab eliminate the splash guard?

Name:  P1150726.jpg
Views: 16585
Size:  57.5 KB

Name:  P1150728.jpg
Views: 18232
Size:  34.1 KB

Name:  P1150729.jpg
Views: 17782
Size:  46.1 KB

Push the fuel line towards the filter and the tool towards the line.

Name:  P1150732.jpg
Views: 16383
Size:  40.2 KB

Renato Piereck
    Spreading the Saab virus rpiereck's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    '00 9-5 Aero SC, 87 900i 8v
    My NG900 didn't have a splash guard on the filter.
    Now: '00 Saab 9-5 Aero Combi - '89 Peugeot 205 CTI - '91 Peugeot 309 GTI
    Gone: '87 Saab 900i - '95 Saab 900 SE Turbo

Saab(s)
    2005 Saab 9-5 Aero auto.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Wulfers View Post
    IndpMind's instructions for the quick connect fittings are spot on. I changed mine last weekend and this time it was much easier with the above instructions.
    Thanks for the prop Frank

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    05 9⁵ AERO, 05 9⁵ AERO Combi
    I've changed the fuel filters on my previous ng900s. Pretty straight forward. Good to see the 9-5 is very similar. At what mileage interval is it recommended to change this.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2004 9-5 Aero
    I did this on my 2000 Aero today. Took only about 15 minutes thanks to the clear and detailed instructions. The car boosts as if it had a stage 1 remap :-)

Saab(s)
    Saab 9-5 2.3t Biopower
    Good afternoon.
    I tried to do on my Saab 9-5 2.3 Turbo Biofuel from 2009, but no such fuel filter in front of rigth rear wheels.
    Only a black box, with no pipe apparently and no clear indication whati it is about, how to open or remove. Please see attached image.
    Any help would be welcome. Many thanks.

Name:  Boitier fi essence.JPG
Views: 3608
Size:  69.9 KB

Frank
    Saab(s)
    The 2006 - 2009 9-5 do not have these serviceable fuel filters anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Lauzze View Post
    '06+ cars don't have a serviceable fuel filter. They switched to that 9-3 Sport Sedan style pump and even went so far as to remove the cut-out in the floor for easy of access so the tank needs to be dropped in order to replace level senders/pumps.