Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab(s)
    2005 Saab 9-5 Aero auto.

Aftermarket wheel issues

I've been knocking around the idea of going w/a 18 inch wheel lighter than our stock 17 inchers. Although I know ride quality will diminish slightly,
    I like the more "filled in bmw" look that a taller wheel offers. But I don't understand Tirerack's lack of 5x110 wheels for our cars. They carry some good name brands, but the style I want, ( lets say BBS CH) isn't offered out of all the styles of BBS they carry. The two they list for the 9-5 are hideous (IMO) and don't suit the car well. But I see 9-5s' w/the CH wheel?!?! Why wouldn't TR list this as another style in their vehicle wheel section? Rial makes several wheels for our cars as well, but again TR only lists a few.

Another issue unfortunately w/TR is when you want to look at a specific wheel by itself, it lists the wheel sizes, but doesn't list the bolt patterns.
    This would would open a broader range of available wheels for our cars even if they didn't carry a particular style. TR is a very reputable business...I should know being only 10 mi. from them. Thus the reason I don't want to go through another website that sells aftermarket wheels. Not many have the reputation of TR. Thoughts appreciated.

Renato Piereck
    Spreading the Saab virus rpiereck's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    '00 9-5 Aero SC, 87 900i 8v
    Ride quality, handling, fuel mileage, all will decrease with a bigger wheel. I really don't see the point of it, and don't understand the "filled in BMW" look. SAABs aren't BMW.

The only reason I see to put bigger wheels would be to clear new brakes. One thing I hate to see on cars is a huge gap between the calipers and the inside of the wheel. Looks goofy in my opinion. About 1 to 2 inches is a big enough gap, anything bigger doesn't look right to me. 17s look great on 9-5s.

This below is a 20 inch wheel on a G35. The G35 does not have small brakes. Look at that crazy gap between the caliper and the wheel. That's nasty looking.

That being said, yes, it is frustrating to shop for wheels at the Tire Rack, their selection of wheels for our cars isn't the best, and they don't list bolt patterns as you mentioned. Have you tried contacting the Tire Rack on those issues? Maybe they can get the BBC CH wheel you want, maybe just not listed on the site.
    Now: '00 Saab 9-5 Aero Combi - '89 Peugeot 205 CTI - '91 Peugeot 309 GTI
    Gone: '87 Saab 900i - '95 Saab 900 SE Turbo

Saab(s)
    2005 Saab 9-5 Aero auto.
    I disagree w/you somewhat. An 18 in. wheel going from a 17 isn't that unreasonable. 19 and up, yes it looks ridiculous on a car our size. Not to mention the sidewall height really ruins the ride, and it looks as if your riding on all rim and no tire. What I meant by the BMW thing is the way their cars are setup, the wheel/tire size is relatively snug w/the the bottom of the wheel fender line. It looks as if the car has been purposely lowered. It's a nice look IMO. I'm sure your familiar w/Daveships Saab and his wheel setup. Those are 18 inch wheels I believe. It doesn't look that bad, and while I know it's subjective, it is ( once again IMO) an improvement over the 17 in terms of looks at least. Their are some 18 inch wheels that weigh a few pounds less than our wheels, so even though the revolution speed comes into play I think fuel economy would remain the same. But 18 is the max I would go.

My wife has a Mazda CX-9 w/stock 20's and the ride isn't great at all on anything but glass smooth pavement. I know why some car manufactuers are going the big wheel route nowadays.......because that is the new thing for younger buyers at least. I want my tires to last awhile and that is one reason alone why I wouldn't go w/anything higher than 18........along w/bent rims as well.

Renato Piereck
    Saab(s)
    You also need to take tire weight into consideration. The 18 inch wheels might be lighter but what about the tires?

Saab(s)
    2005 Saab 9-5 Aero auto.
    Just checked the specs from TR on a 235/40/18 which is the recommended size for +1 and it comes in at 22lbs. This though is for my specific tire that I run now.....
    General G-Max GS-03 in 225/45/17. The 17 weighs 21lbs. BTW anyone looking for new tires should seriously consider this tire. Super quiet, handles great, and pretty
    good traction in snow. And they are lasting pretty well also. You can't beat the price compared to it's competition either. So I think I would be coming out pretty much
    the same weight wise w/what I'm running now going one up. I'm saving on wheel weight, but gaining it back a little in tire weight. This tire has a 8.2 rating which just came out last April. 117.00 ea. for the 17. Not bad at all.

Renato Piereck
    Saab(s)
    I used to have General Exclaim UHP tires on my NG900 and they did great, comfortable, grippy on wet surfaces and long lasting. They did very well on my trip from Alaska to Alabama. Unfortunately one tire got a nasty cut on the sidewall one day prior to shipping the car to Germany so all four tires got replaced when I couldn't find Exclaim UHPs in Atlanta.

Saab(s)
    '11 9-4X, '07 9-5 Combi, '99 Viggen, '88 900t, '87 ASFT, '85 SPG, '72 96
    You shouldn't increase you wheel diameter and increase your sidewall height. You will rub, the other diameter must remain the same as it started.

Saab(s)
    2005 Saab 9-5 Aero auto.
    I believe the G-Max line replaced the UHP's.

Saab(s)
    2005 Saab 9-5 Aero auto.
    I don't believe any rubbing will occur w/this size.......unless I get into a full lock to lock situation. Sidewall height is actually lower.